Shooting Coach - North Houston

3,872 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wearamaskaggie
SandmanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for a coach specifically focused on shooting for my 13 year old son. I live in Kingwood, but could drive a little ways if necessary. Appreciate any recommendations.
Hickory High
AG
John Herndon (aka "C.H.") is the best in the business when it comes to shooting. My family used him for our entire youth careers. He's in more of the West Houston/Memorial area, but he may venture further up north.
Method Man
I heard your brother is a better shooter than you are. Anonymous source.
Hickory High
AG
People like to talk.
SandmanAg
AG
Thanks for the info on Coach Herndon.
Method Man
There are a billion good shooting drills and videos and different styles on YouTube. If you've played basketball, you can improve your shooting or your kid's shooting with a ball and a goal.

Check out some of Teddy Dupay and shot mechanics.
GrayMatter
AG
Method Man said:

There are a billion good shooting drills and videos and different styles on YouTube. If you've played basketball, you can improve your shooting or your kid's shooting with a ball and a goal.

Good shooting is just consistency in good form and practicing your muscle memory
Method Man
Pretty much.
gig them
AG
I was a.... pass-first point guard, let's call it. Never could figure out this whole shooting business.

So I like to pretend that some of us can just flat out never learn how to shoot, because it makes me feel better about myself.
Know Your Enemy
AG
gig them said:

I was a.... pass-first point guard, let's call it. Never could figure out this whole shooting business.

So I like to pretend that some of us can just flat out never learn how to shoot, because it makes me feel better about myself.
By any chance is your name Dash?
expresswrittenconsent
Junkhead said:

gig them said:

By any chance is your name Dash?

Or maybe Doug? Did you ever get kicked out of a major university?
GrayMatter
AG
Method Man said:

Damn Teddy speaks the truth! I had never seen one of his videos, but his fundamentals on shooting is right on par with some of the drills I do whenever I'm shooting around. Grant it, my drill doesn't start at 1-2 ft from the rim, but at the free throw line. It's not a perfect make until the ball goes through the net and comes back to me. It's hard to keep it consistent, but I can appreciate why he starts them off from that distance. It's just a good fundamental drill that hardly many players do.

Hey MM, HH what do you look at when you shoot?

That question always gets me because I look at different things because sometimes you can't get a perfect view of the rim especially if a guy is right in front of you.
Method Man
I look at the back of the rim (the most distant part of the rim from me), but to be honest when I'm shooting well (sporadic because I'm old and don't get out nearly enough) I think I'm on autopilot and I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I do believe that if some players would do the standing in front of the rim thing that Dupay does every day as he insists they would improve tremendously.
greg.w.h
AG
My take: more shots develops better gross and fine motor control both in the arm, in the eye, and in the "muscle memory" (which I think of as brain telemetry with adjustment and eventually concrete laying.)

But: video of practice shots in the open and under guarding also helps see what the brain can't. Some can analyze themselves. Some are too aware of the camera. Some need expert eyes to guide them to see what the expert sees.

But all need to learn essentially the plan-do-check-analyze/act process and the plan part has to be to not be thinking about doing while doing the "do" which largely is planning for more practice to subvocalize thought...so to speak. Usually that's lots of repetition though with very good athletes it's often LESS formal repetition not more.

I was not one of those athletes...
AggieEP
Pretty much all the advice in this thread is spot on. Only thing I don't agree with necessarily is to just watch videos and go out there and do it, because sometimes it's hard for a dad to communicate this kind of "drill" (in any sport) to their sons. Sometimes a coach can get better buy in on stuff like this. Especially because no kid in the age of Steph Curry wants to stand 1 foot from the basket in order to learn how to shoot, it's a recipe for frustration between father and son in my opinion. Once he progresses past the fundamentals and the (kind of humiliating) drills you can move on from the coach and get out there and do some of the more fun stuff to help him improve if you have the ability or desire to.

But yeah, I consider myself a good shooter and still play regularly in city leagues and it all started for me 1-2 feet from the basket learning to repeat the exact motions without even thinking. You eventually move back and around the whole court until every spot is just memory. Then you add all the other complications that live game action can cause and you practice against those.

Another poster had a good question about what to look at when shooting, for me it's nothing. The last thing I do before shooting is think about where I am and who is closing out at me from where and based on those factors I shoot. I can't close my eyes and shoot so I must be looking at something I suppose but it's not focused on anything in particular.
Richierich2323
I was always taught to put the apple in the basket. I release my shot when the basketball goes above my eye and I see the rim. My follow through puts the ball in the net. In other words, I look at the front of the rim but always shoot over it.

The reason to shoot close is two fold
1.) More reps when you are alone
2.) Better form (especially for young players that push the ball).

Don Eddy taught me how to shoot as a youngster and always started with form drills that encompassed the whole array of scenarios you would get into your shooting pocket. Then once you get the form down it is easy to lead that into more competitive drills and scenarios.

Method Man
Everything you need is in this video.

Ulrich
Different things will work for different people, but I've never felt like shooting was about "aiming" so much as form and practice. Where are your feet, are you balanced, are your hands positioned right on the ball, little knee bend, smooth stroke, little hop, complete follow through. Repeat a few thousand times. And the difference between being a good practice shooter and a good game shooter is all about how quick your release is without losing form and how comfortable you are using your peripheral vision to read the defense.

Of course, as I wrote that I realized that I was trimming out about a hundred little things, so maybe hire a coach. And don't read the musings of some hack who peaked at rec ball try-hard.
Method Man
Ooh look at this guy!
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Nah, shooters are born. Hard work never beats talent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.