Antanas Kavaliauskas announces retirement

5,790 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiejohn
aggiejohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AK, one of my favorite players from the BCG era, also announces retirement from the game:

https://instagr.am/p/Bzo_KeKhqfm
jeremy
AG
Ak 47 was so cool. Also one of my favorites.
wacarnolds
AG
AK was a fun player to root for. Glad to see his success over the years and good luck on the next phase of life.
Big Country51
AG
The dude is a freaking beast. Big time player. Congrats on a great career
AggieEyes
AG
Love me some AK, wish we could have watched more of him. Great Ag!
Know Your Enemy
AG
jeremy said:

You'd think you would know that your favorite wore #44, not #47.
Artimus Gordon
Wow hard to believe he has been out of school
For 12 years, and is now retiring. Best of luck to AK.

Looking forward to the return to the style of play when AK was here!
Tango_Mike
Junkhead said:

jeremy said:

You'd think you would remember that people held signs saying "AK47"... a play on his initials and a Soviet rifle since he was from a former Soviet country
Dale Gribble
Tango_Mike said:

Junkhead said:

jeremy said:

You'd think you would remember that people held signs saying "AK47"... a play on his initials and a Soviet rifle since he was from a former Soviet country

Eh, AK47 is Andrei Kirilenko
GrayMatter
AG
Does that mean he's coming to be a part of the staff too?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tango_Mike said:

Junkhead said:

jeremy said:

What idiots did that?
Tango_Mike
Junkhead said:

Tango_Mike said:

Junkhead said:

jeremy said:

What idiots did that?
Sorry, that was written more harshly than I meant.

I remember some dudes in the student section behind the basket holding Lithuanian flags with "AK 47" written on them. I thought it was kinda dorky at the time, but then I've never 1) bought a Lithuanian flag or 2) brought a sign to a sporting event
LawHall88
AG
It made sense for Andrei Kirilenko, who was from Russia and whose uniform number was actually 47 (probably thanks to the NBA marketing machine), but it was just lazy for Antanas.
Bunk Moreland
He wasn't able to be 47 because college players can't use 6,7,8, or 9 as part of their jersey numbers.

For those who didn't know that rule, now is the time for your mind to be blown.
crbongos
AG
Anyone know what kind of career stats he had? I know, Google is my friend--I'm just lazy.
CRBongo
Know Your Enemy
AG
klegldb06
AG
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Antanas-Kavaliauskas/Summary/1997#International
aggiejohn
AG

Take trip back in time with the YouTube link above ---^
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

After a Dallas Morning News article profiled Kavaliauskas, mentioning that he had only seen his mother twice since he moved to the USA, many Texas A&M fans inquired about raising money to reunite the family temporarily. Texas A&M discovered that the NCAA-financed Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund could be used, and paid for Birute Kavaliauskiene to travel to the US for the first time to see her son play in his last home game for A&M. In the Aggies' 94-78 win over Missouri, Kavaliauskas, whose mother traveled all the way from Lithuania to see him play, scored a career-high 26 points on 11-of-12 shooting. The win assured the Aggies of a second-place finish in the Big 12 regular season, the highest the team has ever finished in this conference.
Cobra39
aggiejohn said:

Thanks for posting. Sweet.

Cobra39
Hop
Staff
AG
Cobra39 said:

aggiejohn said:

Thanks for posting. Sweet.

Cobra39

Several years ago I called InterSport and asked if I could buy the A&M segments. They refused. The fourth segment is the actual Kansas game. That would be gold to watch.
Method Man
Bunk Moreland said:

He wasn't able to be 47 because college players can't use 6,7,8, or 9 as part of their jersey numbers.

For those who didn't know that rule, now is the time for your mind to be blown.

There should be a waiver for possible cool number/nickname possibilities.
aggiejohn
AG
That game in Phog Allen is still the best live sporting event I've ever attended, and I doubt it'll ever be topped.
basic8
PJYoung said:

Quote:

After a Dallas Morning News article profiled Kavaliauskas, mentioning that he had only seen his mother twice since he moved to the USA, many Texas A&M fans inquired about raising money to reunite the family temporarily. Texas A&M discovered that the NCAA-financed Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund could be used, and paid for Birute Kavaliauskiene to travel to the US for the first time to see her son play in his last home game for A&M. In the Aggies' 94-78 win over Missouri, Kavaliauskas, whose mother traveled all the way from Lithuania to see him play, scored a career-high 26 points on 11-of-12 shooting. The win assured the Aggies of a second-place finish in the Big 12 regular season, the highest the team has ever finished in this conference.

Privileged to sit courtside that day. Post game was amazing, very few dry eyes.
94chem
I wish he had closed out with a 2 point lead.
agfan2332
Fun fact, AK was playing on the same team as Thomas Walkup which is Nate's little bro.
aggiejohn
AG
aggiejohn said:

That game in Phog Allen is still the best live sporting event I've ever attended, and I doubt it'll ever be topped.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2753459
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.