Lakers Extend Qualifying Offer To Alex Caruso

8,596 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MarcAg
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
However Caruso's options work out, he will be a full time NBA player next season.

expresswrittenconsent
Goose
keysercade
greg.w.h
AG
"In 25 games (four starts) last season, Caruso averaged 9.2 points (.445 FG%), 3.1 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 1.0 steal in 21.2 minutes per game. Williams appeared in 24 games, tallying 6.5 points and 4.1 rebounds in 15.5 minutes."
Aston04
AG
Read this will get Alex at least the veteran min of 1.6 million.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

Simple explanation of 'qualifying offer'...Alex is now a restricted free agent. Lakers are obligated to pay him at least the veteran min based on his NBA years experience. Alex can get offers from other teams but Lakers have the right to match any offer to keep him.

Worst case scenario for Alex Caruso this next season...he's playing with LeBron and Anthony Davis on the Lakers making at least around $1.5 million.
GrayMatter
AG
So you mean we can no longer say that he isn't an NBA player because he's on a 2-way contract?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
LawHall88
AG
It will be interesting to see if there is a market for his services. Lakers are going cheap on free agents to hoard money to sign one more high end guy to go with Lebron and AD. If Alex gets a better offer, I don't know that the Lakers match (unless Lebron tells them to).
GrayMatter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

Worst case scenario for Alex Caruso this next season...he's playing with LeBron and Anthony Davis on the Lakers making at least around $1.5 million.
Really? You think that's the worst case scenario?

Ball is no longer the starting PG. The Lakers don't really have a starting PG.

The worst case scenario is him getting that contract and the Lakers parlaying that to a trade in the near future for someone else.

You don't pass up the opportunity to play for an all-time great. Alex is a level headed kind of guy; I'd be shocked if he wanted to go play somewhere else.

If Alex pulls a Khris Middleton and becomes an effective go-to guy, imagine how much he is going to be worth after signing that veteran minimum and playing along side the Unibrow and Lebron? And we're not even talking about being in the limelight day in and day out.
Tango_Mike
GrayMatter said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

The worst case scenario is him getting that contract and the Lakers parlaying that to a trade in the near future for someone else.

You don't pass up the opportunity to play for an all-time great. Alex is a level headed kind of guy; I'd be shocked if he wanted to go play somewhere else.

If Alex pulls a Khris Middleton and becomes an effective go-to guy, imagine how much he is going to be worth after signing that veteran minimum and playing along side the Unibrow and Lebron? And we're not even talking about being in the limelight day in and day out.
I'm not sure you understand what "worst case" really means
expresswrittenconsent
94chem
GrayMatter said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

Username does not check out.
greg.w.h
AG
His value to the organization is freeing up cash for max offers. He very much can get journeyman experience with with a later spot on the bench/rotation.

His stats are pretty good for qualifying role including the four starts. And most importantly: he isn't due real money or a great contract without improving.
expresswrittenconsent
They arent able to offer any max contracts after blundering the date on the AD trade.
Know Your Enemy
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

They arent able to offer any max contracts after blundering the date on the AD trade.
Sources: Lakers ship 3 to Wiz, open max space
expresswrittenconsent
Interesting.
This should really show what the league thinks of Caruso. I cant imagine the Lakers will offer over minimum so I wonder if any other teams will submit offers.
Dale Gribble
I'd bet at least one team offers him a contract. Would be surprised if they didn't.
BeeringAintEasy
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Dale Gribble said:

I'd bet at least one team offers him a contract. Would be surprised if they didn't.

Yep, he'll get a few offers. He put himself on other teams' radars end of last year with some fantastic play and highlights. There are front offices and coaches around the league looking for guys like him
aggiebones
AG
He can play. For local fan appeal, why wouldn't Houston, Dallas or SA Offer him a slightly better contract. A lot of Aggies would love to support a local boy.
hurleyag
AG
NBA teams don't care about casual fans coming to a game or two to see a kid most likely sit on the bench, they want to win. Alex has a great situation in LA with his cheap contract and higher chance of minutes. The Texas fans can still see him play with the Lakers visit.
mcag83
AG
AC
Like anyone can even know that.
Traveler
AG
Good opportunity for AC to get meaningful playing time! Lakers have 3 players under contract (not including AC), if they sign another max-contract player, they'll be capped out and are going to have to fill out their roster with minimum-salary type players.
DukeMu
Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

Simple explanation of 'qualifying offer'...Alex is now a restricted free agent. Lakers are obligated to pay him at least the veteran min based on his NBA years experience. Alex can get offers from other teams but Lakers have the right to match any offer to keep him.

Yeah, that's my kind of worst case scenario!

sleepybeagle
DukeMu
GrayMatter said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

I tweeted player/coach LeBron to start Caruso.

Do you think he'll listen?

ghostofthebanned
been dreaming about the mavs offering him....which would only take like $2M a year....STEAL
LukeDuke
AG
I wonder if his Dad is his agent...that would make sense in his case.

Aston04
AG
Rondo given 2 year deal. Bad move imo.

Really hope Caruso gets more than the vet minimum. He deserves it.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
Olsen
AG
Happy for Caruso! Everyone wants to play in LA this upcoming season!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.