A&M Basketball Coaches

12,163 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bobinator
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the athletic department website, Buzz is the only coach listed and shown. Hasn't he hired an assistant or two already?
greg.w.h
AG
The University has a process that takes some time including public notice of the position. I have no clue where they are in the process, but as far as I've heard he does have most if not all of the athlete-interacting positions filled. Of course I heard it here...so...ymmv.
Method Man
I hear two of the assistants are those 400lb twins who rode around motorcycles in the 80s.
expresswrittenconsent
If you're gonna claim this is because of some weird TAMU hiring process, please cite the rule. Buzz was hired ~75 days ago.
greg.w.h
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

If you're gonna claim this is because of some weird TAMU hiring process, please cite the rule. Buzz was hired ~75 days ago.
Nah. It's a subjective comment based on watching the process over many years. I don't feel obligated to interact positively with you.

With that said:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1203567174

The listing mentions completing verification of credentials and criminal background check. Feel free to refute with written evidence of a time table. Also the BoR of the System appears not to have met or have a planned meeting. Not sure if their approval is required or not.

expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

not sure

10-4
greg.w.h
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Quote:

not sure

10-4
I'll further note the listing I found dates to two months ago and is closed. Which proves very little but suggests-since there are no current listings on the various job listings including A&M's official one-something.

EDIT: me and simulating em-dashes with two hyphens...
superdales
AG
bobinator
AG
There's no HR/BOR/etc reason why they couldn't have made the hires official yet.

On a related note though, I do think it's a little weird that coaching hires in college sports seem to just skip hiring rules for state institutions.
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

There's no HR/BOR/etc reason why they couldn't have made the hires official yet.

On a related note though, I do think it's a little weird that coaching hires in college sports seem to just skip hiring rules for state institutions.

I ignore the process because they do or at best pay lip service to it. None of us would be particularly enthusiastic if they were forced to interview process-created competitive candidates, either. And the TMF providing some of the compensation (all???) for some hires makes it very difficult to suggest they should not be able to skip some of the steps.

It's mainly not transparent. And almost always that provides an opportunity of some kind that leads to delays and not necessarily a nefarious opportunity. For example: Bjork's initial announcement by the school said he would be on the job June 8. But he corrected when introduced to say July 8.

It was very confusing and usually getting start date right isn't hard. No speculation on why it happened, but I can think of several reasons in private industry a new hire might delay start date. But given the layers and layers of compliance expectations, I'm sure starting too early-especially before compliance training for an AD-is "inconvenient" at best and a potential rule infraction at worst (purely hypothetical example btw.)
GrayMatter
AG
I'd rather the coaches get to work and worry about the details such as an official press conference for a later time.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
SW AG80
AG
GrayMatter said:

I'd rather the coaches get to work and worry about the details such as an official press conference for a later time.
That was the jist of my question. Do we have assistants on the road recruiting and helping with camps?
Broncos
They're all busy courting Blackshear, Wur, and Grimes.
Tobias Funke
AG
I emailed this thread to Buzz to remind him that he forgot to hire assistants and we are concerned. Will post response.
Isaih Smollett
might as well forward it to darby too
Pumpkinhead
AG
SW AG80 said:

On the athletic department website, Buzz is the only coach listed and shown. Hasn't he hired an assistant or two already?

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3039950

See my post in this thread. Buzz brought over almost his entire staff from Virginia Tech, names of the assistants are in my post. Yes, they have all been working for quite some time now.
Biz Ag
AG
superdales said:

If Ketch & Hank Jr. had twins.
TyperWoods
Tobias Funke said:

I emailed this thread to Buzz to remind him that he forgot to hire assistants and we are concerned. Will post response.

Buzz only uses US Postal Service, not email.
LawHall88
AG
Random tweet of the day from someone who may or may not be credible:

Vince Walden was a long-time coach at IMG.
LawHall88
AG
So "never mind" on Walden:
wacarnolds
AG
Staff green as hell

Jamie McNeilly - 5 yrs experience as asst coach
Devin Johnson - 1 yr experience as asst coach
Lyle Wolf - 0 yrs experience as asst coach
Know Your Enemy
AG
wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

How much experience did Buzz have when Saint Billy hired him?
expresswrittenconsent
Good to know the athlete-interacting positions are now filled.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

10 years at 4 different schools, according to his wiki. Sorry for upsetting you by pointing out a relative lack of inexperience on our staff. Doesn't mean they won't succeed, but it's worth monitoring.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

Logan on Premium confirmed those three assistant hires about a couple of months back. I remember him writing his thoughts at that time on the pros and cons of that staff, but don't remember offhand the details of his thoughts then, other than roughly 'green but super hard working, and Buzz has a big list of contacts in Texas that will have to carry a lot of the recruiting load initially'.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

Logan on Premium confirmed those three assistant hires about a couple of months back. I remember him writing his thoughts at that time on the pros and cons of that staff, but don't remember offhand the details of his thoughts then, other than roughly 'green but super hard working, and Buzz has a big list of contacts in Texas that will have to carry a lot of the recruiting load initially'.
Did Logan discuss that article with Saint Billy before publishing?
Know Your Enemy
AG
wacarnolds said:

Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

10 years at 4 different schools, according to his wiki. Sorry for upsetting you by pointing out a relative lack of inexperience on our staff. Doesn't mean they won't succeed, but it's worth monitoring.
Lol, thanks for letting me know I was upset. I wasn't aware of that. But his biggest experience was at Colorado State and he was 32 when hired. He wasn't exactly the most seasoned guy in the world.
JJxvi
AG
How many more Billy's we gonna call "Saint Billy" in this thread?
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Staff green as hell

Lol, thanks for letting me know I was upset. I wasn't aware of that. But his biggest experience was at Colorado State and he was 32 when hired. He wasn't exactly the most seasoned guy in the world.

What is your point? That since Buzz was 32 when he was hired at A&M, the experience (or lack of experience) of any other coach that is hired by A&M is irrelevant?
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think worrying about how "green" this staff may be is a exercise in futility. Buzz thinks they're worthy so that's all that should matter.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

I think worrying about how "green" this staff may be is a exercise in futility. Buzz thinks they're worthy so that's all that should matter.

Buzz is a Saint! Don't question his decisions.
ironmanag
AG
wacarnolds said:

Junkhead said:

Buzz has yet to coach a game so questioning him at this point seems agenda driven. If his coaches don't work out then question him all you want.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Know Your Enemy
AG
ironmanag said:

wacarnolds said:

Junkhead said:

Buzz has yet to coach a game so questioning him at this point seems agenda driven. If his coaches don't work out then question him all you want.
wacarnolds
AG
ironmanag said:

wacarnolds said:

Junkhead said:

I have no agenda, just thought it was interesting that we're probably sporting the least experienced staff in the nation.

Is that not worthy of a post on a thread explicitly about the A&M assistant staff?
greg.w.h
AG
There is zero way, still, to predict what we have in our box of chocolates. But I believe Buzz has earned some trust at both Marquette and VT. Like a great steak, I intend to enjoy every bite.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.