'Be aggressive': Three days with new Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams

7,427 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really great article.

https://theathletic.com/990151/2019/05/23/be-aggressive-three-days-with-new-texas-am-coach-buzz-williams/

Quote:

On Thursday, four Aggies show up for an 8 a.m. voluntary workout, 80 percent of the returning players from the 2018-19 roster. "Intense," A&M big man Josh Nebo says of his new coach. Before he leaves the weight room and after the players finish jumping role, Williams puts his left arm around guard T.J. Starks. "I'm not trying to be an *******, but that was terrible," the coach says. "We're going to have to get a lot better."
Quote:

Williams is like a self-help teacher without a filter, and the first habit he's trying to change at A&M is accepting that every day is a workday. "I don't know that that's necessarily been subscribed to," he says.
rlb28
AG
My son had an AAU coach similar to Buzz Williams. Those kind of coaches are just different (in a good way). He was all about drilling the kids on details and work ethic. He ripped their a** but by the end of practice built them back up. They would run through a brick wall for him. The parents trusted him completely. He died last summer. He took a bunch of athletic kids and made them into elite basketball players by being intense and not allowing them to lower their standards.

I think coaches like Buzz are rare. Good thing he's an Aggie!
agfan1030
rlb28 said:

I think coaches like Buzz are a dime a dozen. Good thing he's an Aggie!
Quote:

The phrase a dime a dozen refers to something very plentiful, common, and therefore, inexpensive.

I'm confused.
bobinator
AG
This article is great. Love the way that Buzz has a plan, and is going to stick with it. We might not be great this year, but it's going to be great watching guys play their asses off.
rlb28
AG
you're right... ** edit to "rare"
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ugh. You're going to make me subscribe just to read this article.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Wow. That was amazing.
bobinator
AG
I think the Athletic is definitely worth the subscription price.
PatAg
AG
One thing Ive been noticing is this apparent attempt to portray us as some dead program. It's smart PR wise, but I don't think it's true.
FTAG 2000
AG
Junkhead said:

Ugh. You're going to make me subscribe just to read this article.

If you download their app, you get three free articles per month (just skip the signup stuff).

Read, delete app.
wacarnolds
AG
PatAg said:

One thing Ive been noticing is this apparent attempt to portray us as some dead program. It's smart PR wise, but I don't think it's true.

Where are you reading this?
gig them
AG
It was referenced plenty of times in the article.

We're positioned as quite the turnaround project, which is not necessarily an angle I agree with.
greg.w.h
AG
gig them said:

We're positioned as quite the turnaround project, which is not necessarily an angle I agree with.

You still mad BK was fired?
wacarnolds
AG
gig them said:

I read one line in the article that said the program "has fallen on hard times recently", which yeah we fired the previous coach for a reason.
wacarnolds
AG
Love the part about the VT player who asked to step away from the very 1st practice and never came back
wacarnolds
AG
and buzz have a collection of comments questioning why he would leave Marquette for a job like VT and a collection of comments questioning why he would leave VT
Pumpkinhead
AG
This was an interesting blurb:

Quote:

His disciples swear by his methods. It's why 11 members of his staff followed him from Blacksburg to College Station. Williams does not have an agent and negotiates his own deals. He received a 25 percent pay bump at A&M. He was told the amount of money he would have for his assistants' pool, and he told school officials he couldn't take the job if that was it. He made sure all 11 who followed him also got the 25 percent bump.
Aston04
AG
PatAg said:

dead in regard to coaching. New mentality. Back to bcg like intensity.
Bunk Moreland
That's a great article.

Also, I have never paid for content from anyone other than the WSJ. I took The Athletic up on their offer last summer 30 bucks over 12 months and without a doubt I'll be renewing at whatever their regular rate is. Very quality stuff with a few hacks sprinkled in.
Double Diamond
Buzz is a breath of fresh air.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Can someone copy over the whole article? Can't read it
gig them
AG
greg.w.h said:

gig them said:

You still mad BK was fired?

Ha, the coaching change definitely needed to happen. No doubt about that. My point was more player-based... this returning core is better than the article indicated.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Can someone copy over the whole article? Can't read it
No, it's behind a paywall so that would be stealing. They have a free 7-day trial you can sign up for.
Double Diamond
The turn around is in softness. The BK soft and passive is going to end. It won't be overnight. I expect a sign or two of it to pop up. And Buzz will stump it out.
Aston04
AG
A player like starks - could really benefit from having buzz around. He will now be called out forcefully and immediately if not giving everything he's got. I think that's exactly what he needs. I hope starks flourishes and I think he will under buzz.
bobinator
AG
I actually have very little doubt that if Starks makes it through this offseason that he's going to be an All-SEC player next year. I don't really have any concrete reason, but I just fully believe that.
czar_iv
AG
bobinator said:

I actually have very little doubt that if Starks makes it through this offseason that he's going to be an All-SEC player next year. I don't really have any concrete reason, but I just fully believe that.
You believe that because you know TJ is getting coached. TJ's talent was obvious, but various media people would spin it differently for the previous regime.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

+1
DukeMu
We're going to win 20+ games under Buzz next year. I don't care who suits up in the end. They are going to play hard. Probably similar to BCG's first year, maybe a bit better.
DukeMu
bobinator said:

If Starks can survive BuzzCamp through Nov 1, he's going to have a great year, no doubt.

Steeled.
rainag78
buzz is going to bust TJ on many of the mental errors he makes. he is also going to teach him how to make others better rather than just dribbling for 20 seconds and jacking a 3
PatAg
AG
rainag78 said:

buzz is going to bust TJ on many of the mental errors he makes. he is also going to teach him how to make others better rather than just dribbling for 20 seconds and jacking a 3
Part of that will be because our team will receive actual coaching on offense
PatAg
AG
also my point was, this team has had talent on it, and even did last year. We aren't in anywhere near a bad spot as we were when BCG took over, imo.
Gap
AG
Didn't BCG take over a team with future NBA 1st rounders Antoine Wright and Acie Law?
Aston04
AG
Acie wasn't a "future first rounder" until bcg took over. Coaching matters, greatly.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.