Jalen Wilson asks for release from Michigan LOI

7,213 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LawHall88
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go get him, Buzz!

https://instagr.am/p/BxiBxiPFn25
wacarnolds
AG
I think Kansas is the favorite, but maybe Buzz can work some magic
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is what I posted on the premium thread:

He visited us but he wasn't impressed by our prior coach. Not trying to bash anyone but I have that first hand. Maybe with Buzz in place he may give us a look but I thought he was going to Kansas all along before he chose Michigan so that's what I'm expecting now.
rlb28
AG
Said he "intends to look at Kansas, North Carolina, Oklahoma State and Florida." Michigan also remains a possibility.
Know Your Enemy
AG
One thing to consider is RJ Hampton is his best friend. Wouldn't shock me to see them commit somewhere together.
MarcAg
AG
Nm
aggiejohn
AG
RJ is likely going to KU, so perhaps they'll play there together.
ironmanag
AG
The new transfer rules have created full on free agency.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Know Your Enemy
AG
ironmanag said:

This has nothing to do with the new transfer rules.
greg.w.h
AG
As the NCAA has liberalized transfers and granted more exceptions even when the student athlete normally had to sit out a year it definitely is more and more obvious that the lack of meaningful restriction on movement on coaches who have true free agency for no more than the price of a buyout highlights that the athletes are very restricted by comparison. I think that is motivating the NCAA and individual schools to grant more exceptions and outright releases. Plus the rules under the new transfer portal already removed the ability to restrict destinations if they list on the portal.

But true free agency will be when the best athletes get paid like the coaches. The NCAA will exit football and basketball rather than do that no matter how truly unseemly the current shamateurism currently is. Worse yet: new ways will be discovered for extremely talented players to get everything BUT pay just like the schools can now purchase insurance on potential earnings for individual student athletes in an effort to convince them to take the risk of continuing.

That the Michigan head coach is leaving is very much the excuse for the athlete leaving and is a result of liberalization of transfer rules such as the one where Jalen Jones received an exception to play for us.
ironmanag
AG
Junkhead said:

ironmanag said:

Ummm.. Yeah okay..

Florida, Kentucky, ect.. is in the mix and so is Michigan.

How is that not free agency. His coach left and he is looking for the best offer. Free agency.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
MarcAg
AG
He isn't transferring. He's still in HS.
Know Your Enemy
AG
ironmanag said:

Junkhead said:

ironmanag said:

Ummm.. Yeah okay..

Florida, Kentucky, ect.. is in the mix and so is Michigan.

How is that not free agency. His coach left and he is looking for the best offer. Free agency.
The "new rules" apply to graduate transfers. It's not new for players to be given releases from an LOI when their coach leaves.
greg.w.h
AG
I see zero mentions of graduate transfers regarding this new set of rules. Are you certain it's only graduate transfers that are liberalized?? Similarly: I'm not aware of a rule requiring release from an LOI because a coach leaves but Texas A&M recently did that and I would suggest that, too, is a profound change.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26529645/what-transfer-portal
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's not a requirement to release a kid from an LOI. It's just good practice.
greg.w.h
AG
The transfer portal is due to new rules. The LOI releases weren't common practices even a few years ago.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Even if that statement is correct (I'm too lazy to verify it) is has NOTHING to do with the "new rules" you are whining about.
Matsui
AG
He is in high school. The transfer rules don't apply to him.
expresswrittenconsent
Spectacular stupidity here, team.
mcag83
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

And your contribution falls in line.
Like anyone can even know that.
expresswrittenconsent
mcag83 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

And your contribution falls in line.

Good job picking up on the joke, Willard.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

One thing to consider is RJ Hampton is his best friend. Wouldn't shock me to see them commit somewhere together.

Probably can cross off the package deal idea

misterguinness
AG
I remember when Brandon Jennings went the foreign route. Really surprised more kids don't given the amount of money they can make from foreign contracts. Or, I'm naive about how much the blue bloods are paying these days
2+2=5
Aston04
AG
Still think ku lands Wilson.
Pumpkinhead
AG
RJ Hampton signed to play in the Australian National Basketball League for the New Zealand Breakers under its 'Next Stars' program:

Quote:

Key elements of the program are;
  • The NBL contracts these players independently from NBL teams, they are not a part of a team's 11 man roster or their salary cap.
  • In order to be considered a Next Star the player must be a legitimate draft prospect in the coming season.
  • The NBL is directly aiming to market the league to the world as a legitimate alternative to the college pathway for draft prospects.
  • As they are contracted by the NBL, the league itself chooses who does and does not qualify, not the teams.
  • Teams can suggest prospects to the league to review. They must meet the criteria to be signed to the NBL Next Star program
  • Once a Next Star is selected every Next Star is offered to all the teams.
  • The teams can then pitch to the player what they can and will provide to them in order to further their development towards the NBL.
  • The player ultimately decides which teams offer they take.

Other recent players who have played in the Australian league under this same system include Bruce Bowen and Terrance Ferguson.
DukeMu
greg.w.h said:

The transfer portal is due to new rules. The LOI releases weren't common practices even a few years ago.
Yes, they often were. The AD may place restrictions on where they can go.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Committed to KU
Aston04
AG
Junkhead said:

Committed to KU
figures. Ku was desperate.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aston04 said:

Junkhead said:

Committed to KU
figures. Ku was desperate.
College Basketball Preseason Top 25: Kansas Jumps Michigan St. for #1 Spot

Desperate for what exactly?
Aston04
AG
Fair point. But their recruiting class sucked by blue blood standards. Still only 15th, including Wilson and a recent grad transfer. Signed 2 three star guys and 1 four star, prior.
Aston04
AG
Aston04 said:

Still think ku lands Wilson.
and that's why I posted this--even after Hampton (his buddy many thought was going to KU) went to New Zealand.
Ulrich
Pumpkinhead said:

RJ Hampton signed to play in the Australian National Basketball League for the New Zealand Breakers under its 'Next Stars' program:

Quote:

Key elements of the program are;
  • The NBL contracts these players independently from NBL teams, they are not a part of a team's 11 man roster or their salary cap.
  • In order to be considered a Next Star the player must be a legitimate draft prospect in the coming season.
  • The NBL is directly aiming to market the league to the world as a legitimate alternative to the college pathway for draft prospects.
  • As they are contracted by the NBL, the league itself chooses who does and does not qualify, not the teams.
  • Teams can suggest prospects to the league to review. They must meet the criteria to be signed to the NBL Next Star program
  • Once a Next Star is selected every Next Star is offered to all the teams.
  • The teams can then pitch to the player what they can and will provide to them in order to further their development towards the NBL.
  • The player ultimately decides which teams offer they take.

Other recent players who have played in the Australian league under this same system include Bruce Bowen and Terrance Ferguson.

Bruce Bowen is recent?
LawHall88
AG
Brian Bowen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.