Wheeler Signs w Georgia

2,347 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TopoTacos
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Happened earlier this evening. I didn't see it posted.
Hop
Staff
AG
If Tyreek Smith signs w LSU, we'll see a lot of old A&M friends on the court next season.
Gap
AG
Is there an unspoken strategy to bottom out next year and rebound from there with Buzz's players instead of winning with BK's players? Next years team could have been pretty salty by keeping Gilder, Wheeler, and Smith and just adding a grad transfer like Blackshear.
wacarnolds
AG
Gap said:

Is there an unspoken strategy to bottom out next year and rebound from there with Buzz's players instead of winning with BK's players? Next years team could have been pretty salty by keeping Gilder, Wheeler, and Smith and just adding a grad transfer like Blackshear.

No I don't think the strategy is to bottom out, and it would make no sense to do so.

You make it seem like we passed on all those, when they either bailed on their own or have nothing to do with A&M at this point.
MarcAg
AG
We did pretty much pass on all of them (the incoming recruits).
wacarnolds
AG
MarcAg said:

We passed on all the guys that formally requested to leave
Gap
AG
wacarnolds said:

MarcAg said:

It looks like our 3 top recruits will all end up at high D-1 programs:

Harris - Oklahoma St.
Wheeler - Georgia
Smith - LSU (most likely)
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

Impression was He tried hard to convince Gilder to stay. He wanted Admon but Gonzaga won out. Gilder apparently already was mostly out the door before Buzz even showed up.

Did look like he passed on Smith. And was lukewarm on and did not tell Wheeler what he wanted to hear. I think the theory that Buzz May have been skeptical on Wheeler fitting into his style (particularly on defense) May hold water. Anyways we will see how Wheeler's career plays out now at another SEC school.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

wacarnolds said:

MarcAg said:

It looks like our 3 top recruits will all end up at high D-1 programs:

Harris - Oklahoma St.
Wheeler - Georgia
Smith - LSU (most likely)

Specifically Harris, you are getting Andre Gordon and cashius McNeily in return. Those are good lucking HS recruits who were going to be playing in the ACC.
MarcAg
AG
Hop has even said Buzz didn't really make an effort to keep Wheeler. Wheeler was interested in staying.
greg.w.h
AG
I have zero problem with Buzz not pursuing players that asked out of commitments. You either view Texas A&M as a worthwhile academic institution or you're just here to play basketball. If the former to a great extent a change in coaches isn't material. If the latter then you might not be the kind of player Buzz can mold.

He seems to truly understand how to mold to the institution's values and win. That sounds very exciting to me.
Gap
AG
greg.w.h said:

I have zero problem with Buzz not pursuing players that asked out of commitments. You either view Texas A&M as a worthwhile academic institution or you're just here to play basketball. If the former to a great extent a change in coaches isn't material. If the latter then you might not be the kind of player Buzz can mold.

He seems to truly understand how to mold to the institution's values and win. That sounds very exciting to me.
Does this make any sense given Buzz's recruits to Virginia Tech have signed elsewhere and he even has tried recruiting some to A&M? Did he recruit the wrong kind of guys to Virginia Tech? The take just seems hypocritical.
Uncle Jimbo
greg.w.h said:

This is prime grade bull**** right here.
EMIN was WOW!
I think Buzz did not want a bunch of BK's recruits and/or they did not want to play for Buzz (who is very different from BK). Probably a good deal of both.

It is no big deal.

If they really wanted to stay here, they would have never asked to be let out of their letter of intent. Buzz would have likely honored that letter. Once they indicated they wanted out, it gave Buzz an out if he didn't think they would fit.

TopoTacos
AG
Exactly, for Buzz not to pursue a recruit and for them to commit elsewhere is just a question of basketball-fit. Of course we would've liked them to stay, but players need to maximize their chances to play for a coaching staff that wants them.

They're all going to quality schools/programs and Buzz signed some really exciting recruits in guys like McNeilly and Yeezy. As far as I'm concerned that's as amicable of a solution as can be expected.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.