NCAA Proposal to Widen the Lane

3,455 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DukeMu
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From 12 to 16 feet that matches the NBA. You for or against this proposal that will be voted on shortly?
Method Man
For sure
greg.w.h
AG
We getting the defensive 3-second rule??
rosstradamas70
wacarnolds
AG
seems like a good way to help space out the game
ironmanag
AG
In a world driven by scoring points and no defense. The NCAA wants to keep up.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
expresswrittenconsent
ironmanag said:

That's not really true but it sounds good.
BoozingAg
Move the circle out to NBA as well
DukeMu
expresswrittenconsent said:

ironmanag said:

That's not really true but it sounds good.
Yeah, that's like my Dad's take on the NBA. "No defense."

They've been playing killer D since the somewhere in the 80s.

Offensively, the game is far more strategic today. Check out these all-time iconic b'ballers running horrible offensive sets...or none at all.

So where's the line of demarcation?

Bird - Magic? Probably...but a year before that, we get a glimpse of what modern basketball will look like in the Kentucky - Duke NCAA final.

Great semi-breaks, ball motion, passing, setting picks against a matchup zone defense...everything but the 3 point shot.
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

seems like a good way to help space out the game

TBH in today's game, I don't see the lane getting clogged too much. 3 point shooting opens the floor. Hell, rebounds are often long anyway.
bobinator
AG
I don't think widening the lane will really impact the college game much unless they institute a defensive three seconds rule or move out the three point line (or widen the court itself.)

They need to move the charge line out.

I'd kind of like to see a league experiment with a rule where secondary defenders can't take charges.
ironmanag
AG
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

In a world where scoring points and no defense rules the day the NCAA is trying to keep up.

Ave points per game.

18-19-111
17-18-106
16-17-105
15-16-102
14-15-100

00-01- 94.5

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
bobinator
AG
I think "scoring points and no defense" is off the mark.

It's a more complex 'problem' (if you want to call it that), but in my opinion college basketball has gotten harder to watch because of a combination of a) rules that make defense inside the arc pretty easy and b) how good everyone is at shooting threes.

Because of how often charges are called and the fact that there's no defensive three seconds in college basketball, defending inside the arc is pretty easy.

Last year all of college basketball (per sports reference) shot 35% from 3 and 51% from 2. So it's already more efficient to shoot threes, but factor in how much likely turnovers are when trying to get close to the basket (charges, entry passes, etc) it's even more efficient to try threes.

So if we want to get a nice spaced out game where it benefits teams to try and run offenses and get to the basket, they either need to make three pointers harder or make two pointers easier.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I find college basketball far more appealing than the NBA. Prefer not to try to make the NCAA more like NBA ball.
skaggsjw
AG
I'd think this would make post players less able to dominate just from sheer size. Big men will have to be more effective in the pick/roll and pick/pop game or have better post moves since they can't back down with as much ease. Defensively, shot blockers that can cover a lot of ground will be even more at a premium as rim protection won't be quite as easy. It will certainly create an even higher premium on 3 pt shooting as the efficiency of post ups will go down.
Method Man
They should get rid of charges.
PatAg
AG
Need to move the 3pt line out to NBA range
Hop
Staff
AG
PatAg said:

Need to move the 3pt line out to NBA range

I think that's too far for college. Split the difference.
sleepybeagle
AG
ironmanag said:

Exactly.
TxAg76
AG
Widen the lane? Sure. Makes sense.
Move the 3 pt line back? Sure. Makes sense.

And while we're at it, go ahead and raise the rim to 12 FT
greg.w.h
AG
TxAg76 said:

Widen the lane? Sure. Makes sense.
Move the 3 pt line back? Sure. Makes sense.

And while we're at it, go ahead and raise the rim to 12 FT

12 is too round. 13 would be perfect!!!
expresswrittenconsent
NCAA now considering moving the 3pt line back to international distance for next yr.
Gig Em5014
AG
I don't really have an opinion on the lane but I think if you're going to increase the length of the 3 pointer you should widen the court entirely. The corner 3 in the NBA is the most effective percentage wise because they're shooting from a shorter distance. I'd like to see the court widened so that the 3 point arc doesn't have an odd straight line on the sides while also allowing the court to be more spread. If you're wanting freedom of movement, and to bring back the mid-range game, then I think the floor has to get larger. I know that would bring about a lot of costs with floor and arena adjustments and therefore I'm pretty confident it won't happen but I think it could be a good solution to what the rules committee sees as a problem.
expresswrittenconsent
You dont need to widen the court to remove that "disadvantage". Just dont have the shorter corner 3. When the line goes out of bounds near the extended high block, there are no baseline 3's.
bobinator
AG
Is there a league that does that? I'd love to see what that does for court spacing.
Method Man
Four point shot
Aston04
AG

You dont need to widen the court to remove that "disadvantage". Just dont have the shorter corner 3. When the line goes out of bounds near the extended high block, there are no baseline 3's.
I'd be a fan... Anything that de-emphasizes the three pointer at this point.
DukeMu
Method Man said:

They should get rid of charges.
There's an EZ O.G. way to handle it. If the defender is moving, it can't be a charge.

Moving the lane out is creating an answer where a problem doesn't exist. Worried about centers in the lane? Call freakin' 3 seconds! I see it multiple times, virtually every game.
DukeMu
Aston04 said:

I'd be a fan... Anything that de-emphasizes the three pointer at this point.
If you move out the lane and remove 3 pointers, then you create a clunkfest of midrange shot bricks, the worst shot in the game.

Coach K has showed how to guard the perimeter - that's how you take away 3 point dependency.

I realize BK teams couldn't shoot outside shots or defend the 3...were often ineffective in finding the open perimeter guy, while our opponents salivated while we overplayed the dribble drive and left the wide open 3.

Can you explain why Beard with time running out and the game WON against UVa, allowed 2 perimeter defenders charging at a guy sprinting towards a layup with time running out, leaving a pass for the open 3 (or not fouling him when he was going around his man)? The only thing that could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory war allowing an open 3, when Bear'd D one full BK for unknown reasons!

The LAST thing I want to see in NCAA college basketball is for it to become BK ball!!!!

Because that's what you're asking for...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.