Private School POY - Sahvir Wheeler

2,515 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
Chuck Gay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston ABC 13's covered the VYPE awards for high school sports. Houston Christian coach Ron Crandall was named private school Coach of the Year and Sahvir Wheeler named private school player of the year. Coach Crandall talks about Sahvir starting at the 1:00 mark. Take a listen. My son went to school there with him for 3 years. They played different sports, but the things Coach Crandall says about Sahvir are kind of universally thought of by those at the school.

Great kid, great work ethic, leader, top 10 point guard in the nation, top 10 player in Texas, a position of need.

I'll quit banging the drum on this, but I sure wish I understood what is going on here.

_lefraud_
AG
What's there to understand?

Coach A recruits player for several years and builds a relationship with said player. Coach A gets fired.

Coach B is hired, and tries to build relationship with player, but is also recruiting other players to help fill a depleted roster left by Coach A.

Players rarely commit exclusively to the school. Wheeler isn't going to be an Ag. It is what it is, time to accept it and move on to players that want to be a part of the program Buzz is having to rebuild.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Chuck Gay said:

I'll quit banging the drum on this, but I sure wish I understood what is going on here.
His coach got fired and possibly had no prior relationship with Buzz Williams. He'd been committed to Kennedy since before his junior season in HS.

Wheeler and his family may just feel more comfortable with a guy like Prohm who has a personal and coaching tree connection with Kennedy, and similarly with Georgia (at least at the time when ex-A&M assistant Rahim was a there). Iowa State and Georgia also presumably had a jump start on recruiting Wheeler during the time frame that Kennedy was fired and before Buzz was hired.

Isaih Smollett
not sure why he was so attached to kennedy. what has bk been able to do with small point guards who can't shoot...other than get them to transfer within a year?
Chuck Gay
AG
Here are some highlights from a national AAU tournament last summer. He isn't Steph Curry, but he isn't a guy that your defense wants to take open 3's unless you can't defend his drive. He did have 11 3's in a playoff game.

He can drive and score. He will take the open jumper in transition. He can even shoot the 3 well enough. The biggest part of his game is his quickness. He makes everyone better. In summary, a national top 10 PG in his class.

EMIN was WOW!
Let it go. He doesn't want to be here.
greg.w.h
AG
The more I think about this, the more certain I am that either we trust Buzz or we don't. The blips and bumps either are one offs because of the change in leadership or have become endemic to men's basketball (regular and graduate, commit back outs).

We have an absolute minimum of four years with Buzz, I believe. I'm going to track and imagine but let it play out. I'd like to believe he will create rather impressive results even in his first year, but I also try to stay "realistic." ALWAYS with scare quotes.
Method Man
Nothing, but who cares.
GrayMatter
AG
you trying to "manage your expectations"?

Buzz has enough skins on the wall to trust him.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Aston04
AG
machine20 said:

not sure why he was so attached to kennedy. what has bk been able to do with small point guards who can't shoot...other than get them to transfer within a year?
that's assuming kids look at the process logically. More about relationships.
Aston04
AG
I see red flags in size and shooting skills. Wouldn't mind being wrong bc he seems like a great kid.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Jerry Meyer 247 added Crystal Ball prediction of Wheeler to Georgia yesterday.
greg.w.h
AG
GrayMatter said:

you trying to "manage your expectations"?

Buzz has enough skins on the wall to trust him.

Trying to reset them, yes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.