College Basketball Corruption Trial

7,338 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Some of the other schools on the list, along with names of assistant coaches, were Alabama, Arizona State, Cleveland State, Creighton, DePaul, Miami, Michigan, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC. The list did not indicate any payments to coaches, nor whether those coaches were contacted.

Blazer also testified that he met with the following assistant coaches: Yasir Rosemond from Alabama, Anthony Coleman from Arizona State and Amir Abdur-Rahim from Texas A&M (now at Georgia), but he did not provide any further details Wednesday of his meetings with those coaches.
Method Man
greg.w.h
AG
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26597436/dawkins-boasted-ties-miller-others
wacarnolds
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Quote:

Amir Abdur-Rahim from Texas A&M (now at Georgia)

Amir was recently introduced as the new HC at Kennesaw State. Probably not the news he wanted coming out at the start of his tenure.
greg.w.h
AG
The guy spilling his guts to try and avoid jail notwithstanding, I wish Amir Abdul-Rahim the best at his new head coaching gig. And hope both we find out what really happened and we come up with a sensible means to address the situation.
Bunk Moreland

LawHall88
AG
Good thing for us that he wasn't worthy.
Bunk Moreland

greg.w.h
AG
So...what exactly is the problem with sending a shoe full of money to a former player?? Emphasis on "former."
LawHall88
AG
Well, this is sub-optimal.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So did we pay Robert to making him more content about staying a second season?
JJxvi
AG
It was always obvious that something of that sort probably happened, for the cynical.
LawHall88
AG
Fun situation for R.C. to deal with.
mdanyc03
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

So did we pay Robert to making him more content about staying a second season?

I don't think that has anything to do with him staying or A&M at all really. It has to do with Christian Dawkins trying to get Robert to sign with him as his agent.
mdanyc03
AG
The thing lots of people lose track of is that all of this stuff isn't really about college basketball. It is about agents and shoe companies establishing relationships with future PRO basketball players. In most cases college programs are basically complicit side beneficiaries but the value of an elite prospect is more about AFTER college, not where he goes to college per se.
JJxvi
AG
It has to do with Christian Dawkins scratching Amir Abdur-Rahim's back for a player, in hopes that Amir would scratch his back as well over the next year putting in some good words about Dawkins with the player.

Robert Williams wasn't really good enough to be a highly sought after cant miss prospect when he was recruited, but he was viewed as a future NBA type player after his freshman year. This supposedly happened in 2017.
mdanyc03
AG
Yeah that is probably accurate in this case.

But I think this is more an advanced forward from an agent than payment to stay at A&M. What is $11,000 relative to an annual nba salary? Nothing. Just making sure he had walking around money over the next year.
bobinator
AG
Still think if the NCAA really wants something to come of all of this they should just issue a blanket immunity for the last say... ten years... and get everyone to spill it all and come up with ways to find a solution.
Goro Majima
AG
They filled a shoe with money and FEDEX'ED it to him. That's hilarious.
Ag Since 83
AG
I wonder what declared value they gave FedEx
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

Still think if the NCAA really wants something to come of all of this they should just issue a blanket immunity for the last say... ten years... and get everyone to spill it all and come up with ways to find a solution.

I get what you are saying but blanket immunity disincentives people to spill the beans.

But can we all agree that current rules are unenforceable and need to be changed? Anyone who thinks they just just find better ways of enforcing existing rules is, I think, delusional
Goro Majima
AG
Honestly, **** the NCAA. The Tate Martell/Justin Fields waivers and then denying that one kid whose mom had a brain tumor tells me what kind of jackoffs they truly are.
bobinator
AG
How does it do that?

If we're really trying to be serious about this, then let's issue a blanket immunity and get it all out in the open and come up with a solution. I don't see any other way that you're going to get people to actually talk about the processes that are currently in place to compensate players/coaches/handlers/etc.
JJxvi
AG
Nobody is going to "talk it out" anymore. Maybe if we were in an era where the NCAA was the only thing you had to worry about some kind of NCAA amnesty would work, but nobody is going to discuss the inner workings of this stuff with the NCAA when the fact is that shedding light on the inner workings of this stuff is getting people put in jail by the feds.
LawHall88
AG
Goro Majima said:

Honestly, **** the NCAA. The Tate Martell/Justin Fields waivers and then denying that one kid whose mom had a brain tumor tells me what kind of jackoffs they truly are.
FWIW, the kid whose mom has a brain tumor supposedly screwed up the waiver application process somehow, but he is allowed to resubmit the request, which once done is expected to be granted.
agsfan
We had a coach with Parkinson's that had missed the tournament in 3 straight years. He hires Rick Stansbury and starts getting high level transfers like Jalen and Danuel, and signs (probably) the best recruiting class in A&M basketball history.
Nobody should be surprised that we were paying players.
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

How does it do that?

If we're really trying to be serious about this, then let's issue a blanket immunity and get it all out in the open and come up with a solution. I don't see any other way that you're going to get people to actually talk about the processes that are currently in place to compensate players/coaches/handlers/etc.

The way you get people to talk is by granting immunity to those who do talk. That is immunity is conditional. If you grant blanket immunity then the "no snitches" code prevails and nobody says anything.
Goro Majima
AG
agsfan said:

We had a coach with Parkinson's that had missed the tournament in 3 straight years. He hires Rick Stansbury and starts getting high level transfers like Jalen and Danuel, and signs (probably) the best recruiting class in A&M basketball history.

Everyone's paying players. E V E R Y O N E.
Tobias Funke
AG
You aint cheatin, you aint tryin
mdanyc03
AG
Goro Majima said:

agsfan said:

Everyone's paying players. E V E R Y O N E.

That's just not true. It really isn't. There are 351 d1 programs. Most college basketball programs couldn't afford to pay players if they wanted. There are d1 programs with head cooaches making under six figures and assistants even less. And those assistants are sharing hotel rooms and eating fast food when they go on recruiting trips.

I would say most legit pro prospects are getting money. But most of that money is not coming from college coaches or boosters and they are usually, as I said before, really just complicit side beneficiaries.
expresswrittenconsent
Always gotta question the argument being put forward when someone throws the "there are 350+ d1 teams" statement into any conversation. That person is usually spinning something.
mdanyc03
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Always gotta question the argument being put forward when someone throws the "there are 350+ d1 teams" statement into any conversation. That person is usually spinning something.

What do you mean?
Gap
AG

Quote:

No one is even alleging this. This story is about an agent sending him money not a booster.
expresswrittenconsent
mdanyc03 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

What do you mean?

Well, in the purposes of this conversation, the money that the bottom 250 schools have is irrelevant. Somebody saying "everybody pays" doesnt literally mean teams 301-333 also pay. It means all the big boys do it. So your post about how Joe Bob at paducah state has to share a hotel with 3 other dudes doesnt really disprove the idea that all the big schools are dirty to some degree.
mdanyc03
AG
Well I guess I'm one of those people who thinks that words have meaning and people should say what they actually mean and not use over the top hyperbole and expect everyone to know what they really mean.

More to the point, I think that the issue of college players getting paid is usually misunderstood and misrepresented, even by people who follow the sport. It isn't primarily an issue of coaches and boosters paying players like in the old Blue Chips movie. It is mostly about shoe companies and agents paying future pros to get a handle on lucrative relationships.

When the problem is widely misrepresented well then obviously we don't even have the right discussion let alone the right reforms to correct the issues.

What we need to do to clean up college basketball is reform the path to pro basketball so that "amateur " college basketball is no longer an anachronistic but largely necessary step on that path. That could be by expanding the g league and changing who actually plays college basketball or modernizing ncaa amateurism rules.

But as long as the conversation doesn't get beyond the "don't be naive, E V E R Y O N E cheats" stage, then we aren't even having the right conversation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.