Buzz to visit Jalen Cone (guard prospect) tomorrow

9,706 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
aggiejohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzz to visit Jalen Cone tomorrow:

Rivals profile:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/jalen-cone-208502

Is a 2020 recruit who can reclassify as 2019:
https://allfortennessee.com/2019/04/16/tennessee-jalen-cone-big-help-depth-2019/
jeremy
AG
Thanks for the link!
PatAg
AG
How are they reclassifying?
aggiejohn
AG
In most cases they either already have the credits to get a HS diploma, or they will take summer school to get the necessary English and Math classes.

While less common because of the desired physical maturity, you do occasionally see this in football also. In 2009 we saw happen with Matt Szymanski signing with the Aggie football team as a kicker:
https://www.theeagle.com/archives/consol-s-szymanski-graduating-in-time-to-play-with-aggies/article_ff13874a-253b-5545-be91-aa40036449b0.amp.html
StanGundy
Most of the kids reclassifying are actually moving back into their original grade. They were held back (usually for athletic reasons) to either catch up or gain a physical advantage over others in their age group. It is the reason you see so many 19 and 20 year old freshmen these days. It's much less common to see a kid like Kira Lewis from Alabama, who reclassified up and played most of his freshman season as a 17 year-old.

I have no idea if this is the case with Cone.
LawHall88
AG
PatAg
AG
Interesting, I'm familiar with the concept of earth enrollment in football. This is the first time I've seen so many recruits being talked about regarding reclassifying.
LawHall88
AG
Jamal Shead, a 2020 PG prospect:

Quote:

So far, Shead has offers from UT-Arlington, Texas State, Texas A&M, Colorado State, Houstonand Drexel, while Michigan State and Texas Tech have shown interest.

Shead has been to College Station to see A&M and he was one of the first in-state players that Buzz WIlliams visited after landing the Aggies' job.

"They came and saw me and I enjoyed the conversation that I had with them," Shead said. "They are a great staff and I've already seen the 12th man and I'm already impressed."
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals150-junior-jamal-shead-impressing-in-texas
LawHall88
AG
I may be reading too much into this, but I wonder if the Wheeler ship has sailed.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

Texas A&M: "I love coach Buzz (Williams). Everything about Coach Buzz, not even on the court but also off of it, every time me and him get to chop it up, it is just always great. We talk about life and everything, from where we grew up, to where we want to live and favorite things to do. I believe that if he stopped coaching college basketball right now, he should just become a motivational speaker because he is steady and gives great motivation; he gives great advice for on and off of the court to his players. I just love coach Buzz and his style of play with his guards; it just fits me."
Quote:

"Things are starting to pick up a little bit more but with the news that some colleges are offering me to come early because of some guys entering the draft and others not coming back.

"It will be all about what is best for me and figuring out if I need another year of high school to mature my game more but if it is good for me to go to college and play now or even redshirt, then that would be the option I would choose."

A decision to make such a move would be made in the coming weeks.

"If I do it, I would have to decide very soon so I would have to look at what the best fit is for me and to see how long the coaches are going to be there," he said. "I don't want to go early to college and then they leave after I am there for just one year."

In the meantime, a handful of visits could soon be taken.

"I am planning to take official visits to Baylor, Tennessee, Stanford and Yale."

Running on the Under Armour circuit this spring with the Team Felton program, Cone is never short in the energy department, nor does he struggle to score. An explosive guard that is developing into a well-rounded playmaker, look for Cone to dive into his recruitment in the coming weeks and also decide whether making the move into the 2019 class is appropriate. Either way, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest are likely the four to beat with more to jump into the picture as the lone April live evaluation period is just a week away.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-60-guard-jalen-cone-mulls-reclassifying-discusses-suitors
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

Jamal Shead, a 2020 PG prospect:

Quote:

So far, Shead has offers from UT-Arlington, Texas State, Texas A&M, Colorado State, Houstonand Drexel, while Michigan State and Texas Tech have shown interest.

Shead has been to College Station to see A&M and he was one of the first in-state players that Buzz WIlliams visited after landing the Aggies' job.

"They came and saw me and I enjoyed the conversation that I had with them," Shead said. "They are a great staff and I've already seen the 12th man and I'm already impressed."
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals150-junior-jamal-shead-impressing-in-texas
Know Your Enemy
AG
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

Cone has offers from schools like Wake Forest, NC State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Stanford, Providence and Ole Miss among others. He's taking an official to Virginia Tech this week and has plans to take officials to Tennessee and Texas A&M next month.
https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/9430/coach-point-guard-jalen-cone-a-dynamic-scorer
aggiejohn
AG

Is Jalen committing today?
Hop
Staff
AG
Probably announcing whether he's reclassifying or not.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Just came off an OV to Virginia Tech and Jerry Meyer put in a CB pick today that he is going there. Ex-Buzz assistant Christian Webster seems to be helping Young out a lot on this one.
aggiejohn
AG

Down to six schools - TAMU is one of 'em.

Jalen will announce commitment on Thursday.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pretty strong reasons to think he will commit to Virginia Tech. Just did an official visit there. The Buzz assistant who stayed at V-Tech (Christian Webster) apparently had a really good relationship developed with Cone over the past 3 years and was able to help Young reel him in.

Him not visiting College Station even once makes it a very low chance A&M would be the pick. Or the Vols for that matter. Kid and his family are not going to pick a location sight unseen.
Gap
AG
What was the strategy in recruiting a point guard? We had Wheeler signed and supposedly were having a face to face back on campus with him and then were recruiting Cone and Mack.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Apparently Buzz & Wheeler didn't connect. Missed out on a couple other PG recruits too. Will sting if we don't get Cone.
aggiejohn
AG
Prepare to get stung.

What Pumpkinhead said is probably right - recruits almost never commit without having visited the school (and that's where TAMU finds itself).
txag72
AG
Texas A&M, where point guards never go to die because they never go there at all.
expresswrittenconsent
txag72 said:

Texas A&M, where point guards never go to die because they never go there at all.
sounds good if you ignore the last decade.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.