New Coach

10,787 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aston04
Pioneer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who do you want? What about Dawkins? I like what all the Coach K disciples are doing. Maybe Hurley?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Are these football posters who never follow basketball, but they happened to notice an article this morning about Duke's game yesterday and heard A&M's coach got fired, so decided to pop over on the basketball board?
JJxvi
AG
Diehard fans!
Tango_Mike
Most of the Coach K disciples have not torn it up out in the wild.

Know Your Enemy
AG
OP averages about two posts a month and his two this month have been starting threads on this board about the next coach. I find it weird that he never comes back to comment on the thread he started. Even more weird that he's concerned enough about our coaching situation to start two threads in under 7 days yet he has no clue that we've already agreed to terms unofficially with Buzz Williams.
_lefraud_
AG
OP username definitely doesn't check out
Aston04
AG
It's not like this board gets that much traffic- if newbie wants to start a thread that's fine by me.

To answer OP's question- Dawkins is not our radar. Not proven enough.
wtr1975
AG
Chris Beard!
GrayMatter
AG
Pioneer said:

Who do you want?

What about Dawkins?

like what all the Coach K disciples are doing. Maybe Hurley?
Click on any topic below this one.
No.
No.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Topher17
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Are these football posters who never follow basketball, but they happened to notice an article this morning about Duke's game yesterday and heard A&M's coach got fired, so decided to pop over on the basketball board?

TexAgs Basketball Board, March 2019:

Step 1: Watch your first non-A&M college basketball game of the season.
Step 2: Notice [insert school] is winning said game
Step 3: Google the coach of [insert school]
Step 4: Remember we fired our coach
Step 5: Remember TexAgs does indeed have a basketball forum
Step 6: Start thread with "I really like [insert coach name from winning school]. What do you guys think? Let's money whip him."
Step 7: Rinse & repeat
bobinator
AG
A lot of people don't even do step 3.
TXAggie2011
AG
If y'all want more activity and conversation on this board, and you want more people interested in A&M basketball, berating people for not already posting on the board doesn't seem helpful.
bobinator
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

If y'all want more activity and conversation on this board, and you want more people interested in A&M basketball, berating people for not already posting on the board doesn't seem helpful.
This is true, and I've tried to be nicer in my old age than I used to be on here. But I do get the frustration during March Madness or during a coaching search because more often than not it's people that will never be back on the board.
PatAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

OP is never going to read any of the comments in this thread
mazag08
AG
I hope he starts 10 more thread just to piss yall off.
DrAleute
AG
CHRIS BEARD!!!
TopoTacos
AG
Dawkins is a great guy and they played a hell of a game to give Duke everything they could handle, but he's got a track record as a coach that is pretty apparent that he's likely hit his ceiling at this point.

That said, again, fantastic locker room speech and his son played a hell of a game.
TyperWoods
Robert Knight is tanned, rested, and available.
DallasAg 94
Bottlehead90
AG
Topher17 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

TexAgs Basketball Board, March 2019:

Step 1: Watch your first non-A&M college basketball game of the season.
Step 2: Notice [insert school] is winning said game
Step 3: Google the coach of [insert school]
Step 4: Remember we fired our coach
Step 5: Remember TexAgs does indeed have a basketball forum
Step 6: Start thread with "I really like [insert coach name from winning school]. What do you guys think? Let's money whip him."
Step 7: Rinse & repeat

The football board is even worse when it comes to coaching searches. More traffic. More trolls.
BigHitterDaLama
For the 1,000,000 time, chris beard isnt leaving tech for aggie basketball.
wacarnolds
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Speaking of Coach K disciples...
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Amaker][/url]
Tommy Amaker?

Link inserted to prove I've googled him.

He was an up-and-comer, who took on Michigan when they went on probation, and couldn't get it rolling there.

My basketball guy from the NE says he is a great recruiter and believes we'd be better off with him, than Buzz.

Amaker may be a lot better the 2nd time he gets a big job, maybe he won't. He's got intriguing upside even though he's fallen off the radar after his nice run from 2012-2015.

But there is little to no argument that he would be a better hire than a guy with Buzz's profile.
expresswrittenconsent
Who is your basketball guy in the NE?
greg.w.h
AG
It is odd the OP isn't interacting with his own thread...
expresswrittenconsent
greg.w.h said:

It is odd the OP isn't interacting with his own thread...

Oh there's an almost certain chance that the actual poster who uses the OP sock handle posted within the first 10 replies.
TxAg76
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Dewshbag much?
Could have just said we're targeting Buzz Williams, but nobody really knows, and we're hoping for the best.
Because it's crystal F'n clear this person is clueless....everyone can see that, especially the regulars....
Now, whether you decide to rub their nose in it.....your choice.
Tango_Mike
DallasAg 94 said:

Tommy Amaker?

He was an up-and-comer, who took on Michigan when they went on probation, and couldn't get it rolling there.

My basketball guy from the NE says he is a great recruiter and believes we'd be better off with him, than Buzz.

You can assure your son's JV coach from NE Dallas that there is absolutely no reason to think Amaker is better than Buzz
Aston04
AG
wacarnolds said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Tommy Amaker?

Amaker may be a lot better the 2nd time he gets a big job, maybe he won't. He's got intriguing upside even though he's fallen off the radar after his nice run from 2012-2015.

But there is little to no argument that he would be a better hire than a guy with Buzz's profile.
amaker never went to the tourney at Michigan in 5-6 years and had a below 500 conference record. No. F no.
DallasAg 94

DallasAg 94

Tango_Mike
DallasAg 94 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

A guy who has worked out HS players for both coaches (among many others) and has watched how they handle recruiting players.

He is a guy when you ask who and why he likes a coach... considers how the coach goes about his job and what the coach does with the talent he has.

The fact when I asked him who A&M's next coach should be, he didn't say: Few... Beard... or Buzz, but a name of a guy not on anyone's radar, ought to tell you depth of awareness.

He said we have to have a big time recruiter, and he felt Amaker was the guy.
If he thinks Amaker would have any interest in the job, then he really doesn't have any "depth of awareness." Amaker has twice-monthly breakfasts with Boston-area black scholars to discuss sociopolitical issues and race relations in the US. His wife is a clinical psychologist who is the mental health director a big Boston hospital and a psychology professor at Harvard. Amaker refuses to do any radio shows, public events, etc.

And, there is really not much evidence to support Amaker being a "big time recruiter" outside of his second class at Seton Hall (20 years ago). Harvard doesn't even offer athletic scholarships. Losing one scholarship per year doesn't explain away only having 5 tournament appearances in 22 years as a coach.
Tango_Mike
DallasAg 94 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

The fact when I asked him who A&M's next coach should be, he didn't say: Few... Beard... or Buzz, but a name of a guy not on anyone's radar, ought to tell you depth of awareness.

And, throwing out random names doesn't tell me anything useful about this HS basketball coach. Dudes on here were asking about Johnny Dawkins, Bryce Drew, Marvin Menzies, Steve Alford, and Mike Davis. That doesn't mean they're worth considering.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hopefully not too much, and hopefully usually only with posters who look like trolls.
DallasAg 94

Tango_Mike
No, I don't agree with your HS basketball coach friend. A&M should absolutely not hire a guy whose family and social interests are in no way supported by anything going on outside of the sunny banks of the Charles River. He's not going to hold twice-monthly breakfasts with his 5 closest friends to talk about sociopolitical issues in when those 5 closest friends are still living in Boston. It's not a "community engagement" thing, it's his personal thing he does with his friends. He doesn't engage the community at all. Refuses to. Will not.

Yes, Amaker has made the tournament while at Harvard with no scholarship athletes. He did so by winning his conference, which is comprised of 7 other schools who also do not offer athletic scholarships.

Being on probation doesn't really do anything to anyone. He only made the tournament once at Seton Hall and never finished better than 4th in conference before going to the Ivy.

I get it, you think your HS basketball coach friend, er... I mean your "NE basketball guy", has a really neat idea you want to share on TexAgs. Thankfully, however, there are about 100 other coaches who would make better hires at A&M than Tommy Amaker. His coaching record isn't good enough and his family opportunities and strong political interests would not be fulfilled in central Texas.

He's done well at Harvard against the Ivy League. He is not good enough to be a $3MM coach at Texas A&M.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.