New Coach

10,883 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Who is your basketball guy in the NE?
A guy who has worked out HS players for both coaches (among many others) and has watched how they handle recruiting players.

He is a guy when you ask who and why he likes a coach... considers how the coach goes about his job and what the coach does with the talent he has.

The fact when I asked him who A&M's next coach should be, he didn't say: Few... Beard... or Buzz, but a name of a guy not on anyone's radar, ought to tell you depth of awareness.

He said we have to have a big time recruiter, and he felt Amaker was the guy.

The bolded part doesnt show what you think it shows. I guess you are too close to see it though.
bobinator
AG
This the same cat that was arguing we support basketball better than Gonzaga a couple of days ago?
DallasAg 94

If you want A&M to have more fans and more excitement for the BB program, you and others on this board are going about it the wrong way. I guess I'll continue with modest interest from a far, away from Aggie BB elites, like yourself. The non-Aggie BB fans I know seem to be more welcoming... but then, I guess that's why they are from BB hotbeds. I will stick to other more exciting Aggie Winter Sports like Women's Swimming.
Tango_Mike
DallasAg 94 said:

If you want A&M to have more fans and more excitement for the BB program, you and others on this board are going about it the wrong way. I guess I'll continue with modest interest from a far, away from Aggie BB elites, like yourself. The non-Aggie BB fans I know seem to be more welcoming... but then, I guess that's why they are from BB hotbeds. I will stick to other more exciting Aggie Winter Sports like Women's Swimming.
You threw out a bad idea from someone you termed "my NE basketball guy." More than one person said Amaker is not good enough to coach at A&M in 2019. You came back multiple times to tell us how we don't know what we're talking about because your "NE basketball guy" really digs deep. You were shown why this isn't true. You came back again to tell us your "NE basketball guy" was really onto something that the rest of the world just can't see. Don't get butt-hurt, it's just a dumb idea that has absolutely no value

Where are mhayden and 2011 to slap you around like they do on the MLB board?
TxAg76
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hopefully not too much, and hopefully usually only with posters who look like trolls.

Fair enough
4ZORRO
AG
wtr1975 said:

Chris Beard!
Next job is tu either this year or most probably next year.
DallasAg 94
bobinator said:

This the same cat that was arguing we support basketball better than Gonzaga a couple of days ago?
My argument was we have more in attendance at men's BB than Gonzaga has.

We can talk about tickets sold vs people in seats.

We consistently report an average of over 9,000. They're stadium caps at 6,000. So, we report about 150%. I don't care if they are old, young, from out-of-state, or non-elite fans. We consistently have more fans at games than Gonzaga has.

Then, you decided to say it didn't matter how many we had, that it was more important how many graduates we had. From there, it was decided those in attendance were not red-ass enough or that A&M was too accessible.

I gave evidence we can draw as many fans as "basketball" schools, despite never having any real success. I also claimed fans support winners... and winning breeds excitement at games. Then, it was decided I was a troll, because I provided numbers and defended them.

Our 2019 home attendance against Arkie was 10,049. Sat Jan 5. The team was 6-6. If there were over 4,000 tickets sold where the purchaser didn't show up, then we have serious problems.

Auburn had 8,730. Wed Jan 16 - Loss: 66-85
Missouri had 6,396. Sat Jan 19 - Loss: 43-66
#19 LSU had 6,554. Wed Jan 30 - Loss: 57-72
#1 Tenn had 10,234. Sat Feb 2 - Loss: 76-93

8-11, (SEC: 1-6) drew 10K fans against Tenn... or sold tickets, despite clearly not having a very good team. That means, the attendance reported for Tenn, two weeks after Missouri increased 3,838. Now, maybe Tennessee travels well and brought 3,838 fans.

10K+ fans.
4K "walk-up" fans. That is... fans who don't have season tickets that get counted regardless of them purchasing them. 4K more "tickets" were counted on Jan 5 and Feb 2, that were counted for 2 games between them.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I think mhayden got the ban
Hop
Staff
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bobinator said:

My argument was we have more in attendance at men's BB than Gonzaga has.

We can talk about tickets sold vs people in seats.

We consistently report an average of over 9,000. They're stadium caps at 6,000. So, we report about 150%. I don't care if they are old, young, from out-of-state, or non-elite fans. We consistently have more fans at games than Gonzaga has.

Then, you decided to say it didn't matter how many we had, that it was more important how many graduates we had. From there, it was decided those in attendance were not red-ass enough or that A&M was too accessible.

I gave evidence we can draw as many fans as "basketball" schools, despite never having any real success. I also claimed fans support winners... and winning breeds excitement at games. Then, it was decided I was a troll, because I provided numbers and defended them.

Our 2019 home attendance against Arkie was 10,049. Sat Jan 5. The team was 6-6. If there were over 4,000 tickets sold where the purchaser didn't show up, then we have serious problems.

Auburn had 8,730. Wed Jan 16 - Loss: 66-85
Missouri had 6,396. Sat Jan 19 - Loss: 43-66
#19 LSU had 6,554. Wed Jan 30 - Loss: 57-72
#1 Tenn had 10,234. Sat Feb 2 - Loss: 76-93

8-11, (SEC: 1-6) drew 10K fans against Tenn... or sold tickets, despite clearly not having a very good team. That means, the attendance reported for Tenn, two weeks after Missouri increased 3,838. Now, maybe Tennessee travels well and brought 3,838 fans.

10K+ fans.
4K "walk-up" fans. That is... fans who don't have season tickets that get counted regardless of them purchasing them. 4K more "tickets" were counted on Jan 5 and Feb 2, that were counted for 2 games between them.

Some of those home games are filled with kids who earned free tickets from the CSISD reading program and other such things that inflate the numbers. Actual paying customer numbers are lower.

FYI, I went to the Gonzaga game and tickets on the secondary market were over $100 when I looked in the fall. I ended up getting tickets from the A&M allotment. But, the place was packed to the gills and was loud. Students were all in their seats a couple of hours before the game.
Aston04
AG
If you hired Tommy Amaker- you would be downgrading resume from the current coach we fired. I don't know why this has been floated more than once on here- it would be a horrible hire.

Look at what he did at Michigan- Frankly a peer school or maybe slightly better setup to win. 2001-2007. ZERO ncaa appearances. I watched many of his teams play. Undisciplined crap basketball. He may have improved some at Harvard- but the data doesn't even come to supporting hiring him... Besides the fact he probably wouldn't take the job here since he's nice and comfy at Harvard & already failed at Michigan.

Take a look at what happened to Michigan when John Beilein took over. It's the difference from a mediocre coach to an elite coach. Multiple final fours since he took over. We should be shooting (hoping) to hire someone that is or will end up being elite. If that elite coach ends up leaving someday, that's the cost of doing business.
bobinator
AG
My whole point was that if we're talking about how many people attend A&M games vs Gonzaga games then we're already off the rails.

The internet is kind of made on insane conversations, but if we're arguing over whether A&M or Gonzaga support basketball better then we're already through the looking glass.
Double Diamond
Gonzaga cares a lot about basketball and Amaker is an awful candidate.
BigHitterDaLama
4ZORRO said:

wtr1975 said:

Chris Beard!
Next job is tu either this year or most probably next year.

Wanna put money on it ?
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

My whole point was that if we're talking about how many people attend A&M games vs Gonzaga games then we're already off the rails.

The internet is kind of made on insane conversations, but if we're arguing over whether A&M or Gonzaga support basketball better then we're already through the looking glass.

Hop isn't wrong on how attendance influences our decision makers. The question is whether there is a way to not dig deeper instead of climbing out of the attendance hole we are in.

But imagining it is not solvable is not a great starting point.
RealBad Tree 08
AG
Oh damn, just noticed there is a basketball forum. How's the team doing?
Tango_Mike
RealBad Tree 08 said:

Did you not get to watch any of it in your man cave? Did you ever spray paint the lines on your green outdoor carpet?
PatAg
AG
Aston04 said:

If you hired Tommy Amaker- you would be downgrading resume from the current coach we fired. I don't know why this has been floated more than once on here- it would be a horrible hire.

Look at what he did at Michigan- Frankly a peer school or maybe slightly better setup to win. 2001-2007. ZERO ncaa appearances. I watched many of his teams play. Undisciplined crap basketball. He may have improved some at Harvard- but the data doesn't even come to supporting hiring him... Besides the fact he probably wouldn't take the job here since he's nice and comfy at Harvard & already failed at Michigan.

Take a look at what happened to Michigan when John Beilein took over. It's the difference from a mediocre coach to an elite coach. Multiple final fours since he took over. We should be shooting (hoping) to hire someone that is or will end up being elite. If that elite coach ends up leaving someday, that's the cost of doing business.
we are not a peer basketball school with Michigan...
DukeMu
Tango_Mike said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Speaking of Coach K disciples...
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Amaker][/url]
Tommy Amaker?

Link inserted to prove I've googled him.

He was an up-and-comer, who took on Michigan when they went on probation, and couldn't get it rolling there.

My basketball guy from the NE says he is a great recruiter and believes we'd be better off with him, than Buzz.

You can assure your son's JV coach from NE Dallas that there is absolutely no reason to think Amaker is better than Buzz

Amaker's wife teaches at Harvard. They are not going anywhere.

It's going to be Stevens, Capel, or Wojo to replace Coach K. Hurley has an outside chance.

Dawkins coaching was up and down at Stanford. I'm delighted at the job he and Aubrey have done at UCF.

DukeMu
Double Diamond said:

Gonzaga cares a lot about basketball and Amaker is an awful candidate.

Remember when there was NO WAY Buzz would ever leave Marquette?

Few's family situation is a primary reason he's not leaving. We could money whip him, but I don't think he'd take it.

Buzz...and outside chance of Beard.
Topher17
AG
I know Capel's history with Coach K and Duke, but he has had a pretty bad track record as a head coach. Why would Duke hire him when there are plenty of other better candidates?
91AggieLawyer
AG
I know Steve Alford was fired by UCLA but who knows what the political situation there was. His winning percentage overall is higher than Buzz's and he has Big 10 and Pac 12 experience with a lot of Sweet 16 and other tournament experience. He's recruited midwest, southwest, and west coast, played professionally in Texas and generally (with a few hiccups) runs a clean program.

I'm sure he'll get a job somewhere, but just something to consider. Not saying he should be in over someone else, just a name to look at.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

we are not a peer basketball school with Michigan

We don't have their history, but there's no reason we couldn't acquire a similar record in, say, the next decade or so with the right coach and support. It isn't as cold here in January and February but other than that...

There's nothing magical about any of these schools. They had a commitment and hired the right people. UCLA basketball prior to Wooden was .500. Wooden was there 15 years before the titles started. After Wooden, they've had some great success but only 1 title. We've got 2 S16s in the last 4 years; if we could duplicate that and add at least 2 more tournament appearances and maybe a deeper run in the next 5 years, A&M WILL be a school talked about with the Michigans of the world.
greg.w.h
AG
Creighton's Greg McDermott has 8 NCAA runs in 15 years but only at mid-majors. Iowa State was a dry well for him. I'm leery of bringing mid-major, Midwestern coaches down, but I think it helps to use one as a stalking horse to compare other candidates to.
RealBad Tree 08
AG
Tango_Mike said:

RealBad Tree 08 said:

Did you not get to watch any of it in your man cave? Did you ever spray paint the lines on your green outdoor carpet?

Naw. Thanks for asking though. Turned it back in to a regular garage to sell the house.
Aston04
AG
PatAg said:

Aston04 said:

we are not a peer basketball school with Michigan...
That was my point actually- better setup at Michigan and he didn't win there. A&M basketball could easily be on the come just UM did once they got a great coach. I also went to several Michigan basketball games in the Amaker era- place was a ghost town--- they didn't touch ncaas for years...

Amaker won't be hired, so it doesn't matter. Just frustrating people even consider it, frankly.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.