Does Woodward have a relationship with Few?

7,213 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by McInnis80
vette
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is only paid $1.7M at Gonzaga.
overseer
AG
Not happening.
vette
AG
overseer said:

Not happening.

We money whipped Fisher. Tell me why not
Know Your Enemy
AG
vette said:

overseer said:

Not happening.

Because we actually care about football at A&M.
vette
AG
Junkhead said:

vette said:

overseer said:

Not happening.

When we win in basketball, we care about it as well. I went to many sold out games at Reed during the Gillispie years
bobinator
AG
Us hiring Mark Few would be like Duke hiring Jimbo Fisher
vette
AG
bobinator said:

Us hiring Mark Few would be like Duke hiring Jimbo Fisher

We have money. Duke does not have the money like we do. Few is paid $1.7M, which is pathetic. Why can't we at least double that? Kentucky is paying Calipari $9M
Know Your Enemy
AG
vette said:

Junkhead said:

vette said:

overseer said:

Not happening.

When we win in basketball, we care about it as well. I went to many sold out games at Reed during the Gillispie years

Only the big games.
vette
AG
Junkhead said:

vette said:

Junkhead said:

vette said:

overseer said:

Not happening.

Only the big games.

Maybe it's selective remembering, but I don't think so.
bobinator
AG
Coach K is making like 9 mil/yr.
vette
AG
bobinator said:

And they don't have the resources like we do. I think you might be proving my point that we should be able to money whip whoever we want.
bobinator
AG
Or maybe my point is that schools that don't give a **** about a sport aren't usually going to attract elite coaches no matter what they're doing in other sports.
Know Your Enemy
AG
vette said:

bobinator said:

And they don't have the resources like we do. I think you might be proving my point that we should be able to money whip whoever we want.

We could offer Coach K $18 million per year and he isn't coming here.
vette
AG
bobinator said:

Or maybe my point is that schools that don't give a **** about a sport aren't usually going to attract elite coaches no matter what they're doing in other sports.

No one thought we'd be able to hire Fisher, but Woodward had the relationship and we had the money. I'm only asking if this same scenario could apply here. We are a school that has a crap ton of money and Woodward is the real deal. Few is paid NOTHING and is in Washington state.. No need to try and make other Ags (with well thought out points) to feel stupid. Also, have faith in your school.
bobinator
AG
You asked why not, and we're telling you why not, and you're telling us we're wrong.

We hired Fisher because not only did we offer him a huge contract, we have amazing support for football. We just built a stadium that cost half a billion dollars, we changed conferences, we have some of the most famous traditions in the sport.

Teams with way more basketball history than us have tried to hire Mark Few, and nobody has been able to, so it's pretty clearly not just about the money.

And there is literally no other reason to come here than for the money if you're Mark Few.
TyHolden
AG
- raised by pastor in Oregon
- went to duck university
- coaches at Catholic uni in Cali (20 years now)
- loves fly fishing

he ain't leaving
vette
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

- loves fly fishing

he ain't leaving

Thanks for answering the questions without being snarky
Tango_Mike
He's turned down dozens of offers for more money at better basketball jobs than A&M
Spokane is nowhere near UW. It's like saying Woodward might have a relationship with Beard because they both live in Texas
Dr Lane Trowlan
vette said:

bobinator said:

Coach K also turned down the Lakers job. You think they have resources? You think Jerry Buss had money? Money isn't everything to these coaches.
GrayMatter
AG
In other words it's not about the $$ with Few.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
StanGundy
Phil Knight couldn't lure him to Oregon with all of his Nike money when the Ducks hired Altman. That should tell you all you need to know about Few.
Pumpkinhead
AG
OP, lots of other schools have tried to give Few a huge pay raise. He has never been interested. He seems to just be one of those guys who loves where he is and has no interest in change or making more money than he already makes.

You could offer him all the money that you want. He won't care and can't be bought. He is going to retire there.
TempleAg97
AG
Few is a different kind of dude where it sounds like money really isn't everything to him. But just for the sake of argument, let's say that wild report from Va Tech that we are going to offer Buzz 5.2 million year was true, I think we could get an elite coach for that much. So maybe not Few, but someone of his ilk, might more than listen for that money. IF that money were true.
bobinator
AG
I guess that depends on what your definition of elite is.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TempleAg97 said:

Few is a different kind of dude where it sounds like money really isn't everything to him. But just for the sake of argument, let's say that wild report from Va Tech that we are going to offer Buzz 5.2 million year was true, I think we could get an elite coach for that much. So maybe not Few, but someone of his ilk, might more than listen for that money. IF that money were true.
Why do you seem to think Buzz Williams is not 'elite' (or pretty close to elite)?

Buzz would be a pretty 'big fish' hire. No, not Coach K or Tom Izzo level, but still a pretty large fish.
sincereag
I'll take my chances with Buzz as our next HC. It seems to be a good fit here in Texas. Look at Shaka, everyone thought he was the next great coach and they are ready to get rid of him at tu.
bobinator
AG
sincereag said:

I'll take my chances with Buzz as our next HC.
Yeah, even the idea that we're about to hire a coach that's taken two different major conference teams to at least the Sweet 16 (if Va. Tech beats Liberty tomorrow), and didn't get fired at either one afterward, is hard to wrap my head around.
vette
AG
I think Buzz will be the next A&M coach as well. I just was curious if Woodward had another Ace up his sleeev that we might not have been considering.
bobinator
AG
So far the 'courtship' if you want to call it that, of Buzz is basically following the same playbook as Jimbo.

If the main candidate isn't Buzz, then it's the first thing that's ever been successfully kept secret around here in recorded history, haha.
MTAggie
AG
I agree he ain't leaving but Gonzaga ain't in "Cali." Isn't this about the Zags coach?
94chem
BlueDeviledAg said:

- loves fly fishing

he ain't leaving

Spokane isn't in Washington any more?
94chem
MTAggie said:

I agree he ain't leaving but Gonzaga ain't in "Cali." Isn't this about the Zags coach?

Dookie geography
AggieDad74
vette said:

He is only paid $1.7M at Gonzaga.

With a few other monetary residuals, I'd greatly wager!
Steeple
I wonder what kind of college coach Jeff van Gundy would be?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Teams with way more basketball history than us have tried to hire Mark Few

Who? (with sources, please).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.