Chris Jans New Mexico State

2,069 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MMantle
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a big name, but a good coach.

Have watched all his NMSU home games, kids play hard, play tough defense, not very tall, but very seldom get out-rebounded.

He's a good in-game coach, has a good feel for his players, the individual match-ups, flow of the game.

Not afraid to bark at the officials.

He has a bit of a past, but looks like that's behind him.

No way NMSU can afford to keep him.

RR

Uncle Jimbo
I'm a bit gun-shy about NMSU coaches after seeing how Menzies tanked the UNLV program.
Tango_Mike
I thought this was going to be a thread about the unathletic English kid Cyprien brought over
DDowl44
AG
I like him, but I will say that NMSU cannot finish in their NCAA tourney games.
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
Dandy 76
AG
I'm always amazed at how well NMSU does in basketball. They may not win their tournament games very often but they always seem to be competitive. Despite Auburn being in the SEC I was really pulling for the Aggies the other night. I have a grandson going to school there and I only live a couple of hours from Las Cruces. Finally I don't think you blame the coach for what happened in the Auburn game - got to take that open layup especially when you don't need the 3.
DDowl44
AG
I disagree, part of ensuring your players know the score is on coaching. I think the kid clearly didn't know he was only down 2 versus 3 is the reason he kicked it out to the three-point shot.
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
Steeple
It's important to remember that NMSU is at 4000 feet and their playoff location is about the same. Not Mt Everest but little things like that can matter in close games.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Pretty clear Buzz is the guy and sounds like it's all but done.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
TyHolden
AG
Mark Few has not been ruled out. A few people have told me this.
mikesyracuse1
DDowl44 said:

I disagree, part of ensuring your players know the score is on coaching. I think the kid clearly didn't know he was only down 2 versus 3 is the reason he kicked it out to the three-point shot.

In the postgame interview, he said he knew the score but was confident that his teammate would hit the three.

Mikesyracuse1
MMantle
AG
There was also an Auburn player, 7 inches taller, who was right behind Harris, would have had a good shot at blocking the layup.

It'll be interesting to see where Coach Jans ends up, he'll get an offer that NMSU can't match.

That being said, I'd like to see him stay, fun team to watch / support.

RR

StanGundy
Just for kicks, google Chris Jan's police record. And yes, I realize he was never arrested for this incident.
MMantle
AG
I'm aware of his police record, we all make mistakes, Gillispie himself was no plaster-cast saint before he came to A&M, and most still adore him.

Many felt the same way about Stansbury, what about his issues at Miss State?

Jans doesn't have a single 4- or 5-star at NMSU, yet they played Auburn a heck of a lot tougher than Self's bunch.

I'd take Chris Jans in a heartbeat, much like BCG, he's a basketball coach.

RR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.