Murray State Coach?

5,304 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Kennedy is the only Murray State coach since the 1970s to not make postseason play in his first three seasons...

You could also say he had the greatest season in Murray State history, and his assistant inherited his last team that tied that 31-win mark.

You can carve out whatever conclusion you want to support. I'm just saying it's ridiculously inaccurate to call Kennedy a bad coach at Murray State no matter what your perception. Some things you can't spin, and that's one of them. Guy won back-to-back titles with a combined 31-5 conference record and went to the round of 32 in his last two seasons at Murray St.
expresswrittenconsent
Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

Kennedy is the only Murray State coach since the 1970s to not make postseason play in his first three seasons...

You could also say he had the greatest season in Murray State history, and his assistant inherited his last team that tied that 31-win mark.

You can carve out whatever conclusion you want to support. I'm just saying it's ridiculously inaccurate to call Kennedy a bad coach at Murray State no matter what your perception. Some things you can't spin, and that's one of them. Guy won back-to-back titles with a combined 31-5 conference record and went to the round of 32 in his last two seasons at Murray St.

Why is it that when you "carve out" things people come along after you and point out the mistakes? Shouldn't you be expected to "carve out" things that are factually correct?
Luke The Drifter
AG
He could have been the John Wooden of Murray State for all I care. That doesn't change the fact that he did an incredibly sub-par job at Texas A&M. Whatever happened or didn't happen at Murray State is water waaaaaaaay under the bridge. But no matter what you "carve out" of his tenure at Texas A&M, all you can come up with is mediocrity and underachievement.

Why you guys are having a monkey crap fight over his Murray State resume is beyond me. He did not do a good job overall for Texas A&M and he was (quite rightfully) dismissed because of this.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
_lefraud_
AG
Billy Kennedy was (as best) the 3rd best coach at Murray in the past 15 years, just like Billy Kennedy was the 3rd best coach at A&M over the past 15 years. I don't care what the "results" say. Mediocre is mediocre.
Aston04
AG
The strategy of hire me so I can bring my stud recruiting friend assistant is a horrible one.

It's weird because bb seemed to pivot from working to find a great coach to just settle for a guy that will supposedly bring in studs- forgetting the lesson from the Watkins era that top notch coaching is paramount. When he hired bcg, he literally flew in and observed him coaching in person (not an option for bk, but how much tape did he watch? Obviously not much when he fell for bs bk said like shooting in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock or whatever).

I realize time was limited, but we didn't need to reach that bad. Bb should have been ready to hire a new stud with all the departure signals turge was sending anyway.
greg.w.h
AG
I regret we can't turn the page, yet. Talking about a terminated coach is not productive.
Tango_Mike
Aston04 said:

The strategy of hire me so I can bring my stud recruiting friend assistant is a horrible one.

It's weird because bb seemed to pivot from working to find a great coach to just settle for a guy that will supposedly bring in studs- forgetting the lesson from the Watkins era that top notch coaching is paramount. When he hired bcg, he literally flew in and observed him coaching in person (not an option for bk, but how much tape did he watch? Obviously not much when he fell for bs bk said like shooting in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock or whatever).

I realize time was limited, but we didn't need to reach that bad. Bb should have been ready to hire a new stud with all the departure signals turge was sending anyway.

Kennedy had all the trappings of a $Bill hire. The hire itself wasn't awful (and I'd bet better than Van Gundy or Jacobson). The failure was not firing him after year 3
Aston04
AG
Disagree. Bb hired well the previous two basketball coaches.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.