Seth Davis On Buzz Williams & Luicci's Response This Morning on TexAgs Radio

19,979 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Davis: The wide expectation among college basketball insiders is that Buzz Williams will be Texas A&M's next basketball coach. Nothing is certain this time of year, but if Williams turns this [A&M job] down then a lot of folks around the sport will be quite surprised.

https://theathletic.com/871385/2019/03/16/davis-what-im-hearing-about-texas-am-ucla-kelvin-sampson-and-other-coaching-carousel-tidbits/

Luicci: Davis said it perfectly. I don't need to comment further. I think he nails it with that. It would surprise most people in college basketball that I've talked to. It sounds very promising. Scott Woodward is not going to be a man with no plan outside of that [Buzz Williams], but I'm not going to name other names at this time. And there were other names that were considered, as most of you know this didn't starting happening on Friday.

March 18th, Hour 3 TexAgs Radio Podcast
http://www.zone1150.com/texags-radio/
Double Diamond
Buzz Williams has wanted this job going back to when Kennedy was hired.
Serious Lee
reading VTs 247 site and this made me chuckle

Quote:

Honestly if we're out then I'd love to see Texas start a bidding war for Buzz. He's too good for A&M, they need to pay through the nose if they want him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Supppsedly Beard was considered per the premium board.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

Honestly if we're out then I'd love to see Texas start a bidding war for Buzz. He's too good for A&M, they need to pay through the nose if they want him.

LOL. As if VT is some basketball destination school.
Tango_Mike
Yelnick McWawa said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

He is probably too good for A&M, but so were Gary Blair, Jimbo Fisher, Pat Henry, etc
Buford T. Justice
AG
100%
Salary was the reason that we didn't pursue him harder. At the time, he had a higher salary at Marquette than Sherman had at A&M.
Double Diamond
Correct. People often say there wasn't another option but Kennedy.
Serious Lee
does he prefer us to UT or does he even care?
expresswrittenconsent
Buford T. Justice said:

100%
Salary was the reason that we didn't pursue him harder. At the time, he had a higher salary at Marquette than Sherman had at A&M.
yep, and a big buyout. The timing was bad for us - we were much "smaller". Our move to the SEC not only made us more money as a player, it made Marquette a much much worse job (their conf lost ESPN deal which meant all games were on fs1). The point va tech got him we could have fired Billy, but Hyman extended bk instead and gave the famous "manage expectations" interview.
Texas 1836
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Davis: The wide expectation among college basketball insiders is that Buzz Williams will be Texas A&M's next basketball coach. Nothing is certain this time of year, but if Williams turns this [A&M job] down then a lot of folks around the sport will be quite surprised.

https://theathletic.com/871385/2019/03/16/davis-what-im-hearing-about-texas-am-ucla-kelvin-sampson-and-other-coaching-carousel-tidbits/

Luicci: Davis said it perfectly. I don't need to comment further. I think he nails it with that. It would surprise most people in college basketball that I've talked to. It sounds very promising. Scott Woodward is not going to be a man with no plan outside of that [Buzz Williams], but I'm not going to name other names at this time. And there were other names that were considered, as most of you know this didn't starting happening on Friday.

What you say when you don't know squat but should know since it's your job ...

Tango_Mike
Texas 1836 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

To be fair, it came across his desk several hours ago. He is only holding on to it out of respect
Buford T. Justice
AG
Also 100% correct.
WestGalvestonAggie
Tango_Mike said:

Texas 1836 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

To be fair, it came across his desk several hours ago. He is only holding on to it out of respect

To be fair...
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

He is probably too good for A&M, but so were Gary Blair, Jimbo Fisher, Pat Henry, etc
I'm not sure whether or not this is sarcasm. If not, I don't understand what point your trying to make. Pretty sure I disagree with it regardless.
Tango_Mike
Yelnick McWawa said:

Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

I'm not sure whether or not this is sarcasm. If not, I don't understand what point your trying to make. Pretty sure I disagree with it regardless.
It was a joke. A&M was the worst WBB program in the world, but $Bill still stole Gary Blair (away from his then-wife, too). A&M's outdoor track looked like Hearne HS's, but $Bill still stole Pat Henry. FSU's FB history makes A&M's look like a JUCO, but Jimbo still came. You sound like an idiot with little man syndrome
EXCELL
Quote:

Adam Schiff type super generalized, non-specific, trust-me-I'm-in-the-know statement made when you want to know something special but don't.

Sen Joe McCarthy used to wave a paper with a "list" that nobody saw and for which there was no substance. A fabrication.

Same thing here ...
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

It was a joke. A&M was the worst WBB program in the world, but $Bill still stole Gary Blair (away from his then-wife, too). A&M's outdoor track looked like Hearne HS's, but $Bill still stole Pat Henry. FSU's FB history makes A&M's look like a JUCO, but Jimbo still came. You sound like an idiot with little man syndrome
WTF? Who the hell are you?
jeffdjohnson
Sounds like A&M has already had back channel discussions with Buzz. There is probably an informal agreement. A deep tourney run or a crazy VT counter offer seem to be them only things that might trip up this deal. Hopefully Mississippi St. knocks them out in the 2nd round.
Tamu_mgm
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Buford T. Justice said:

100%
yep, and a big buyout. The timing was bad for us - we were much "smaller". Our move to the SEC not only made us more money as a player, it made Marquette a much much worse job (their conf lost ESPN deal which meant all games were on fs1). The point va tech got him we could have fired Billy, but Hyman extended bk instead and gave the famous "manage expectations" interview.
Geez, way to reignite my burning, angry vitriol for that POS Eric Hyman, who set our athletic department back.
suburban cowboy
AG
It's Buzz
Tango_Mike
Yelnick McWawa said:

Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Tango_Mike said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Quote:

WTF? Who the hell are you?
haha, getting excited makes it better. keep going!
jeffdjohnson
Tamu_mgm said:

Buford T. Justice said:

100%
Geez, way to reignite my burning, angry vitriol for that POS Eric Hyman, who set our athletic department back.

Hyman was such a loser. Completely MIA for his 4 years. I've heard some people mention that he helped fund-raise/build new Kyle Field. As if he was out there with a hammer or pouring concrete. Manziel + moving to the SEC were the only things A&M needed to fund-raise/build new Kyle Field. Kennedy was 19-35 in conference after his first 3 years. He should have been removed at that point, I don't see it being debatable. The fact that he wasn't is an indictment of the departments commitment to basketball. I have no doubt that if Buzz were hired 5 years ago he would have easily beaten the 47-43 conference record Kennedy has put up since then. If A&M really does spend 3.5M+ and pulls Buzz Williams now it would signify a major commitment going forward. Kudos to Woodward if he pulls it off, I'm optimistic.
KaneIsAble
AG
So are we pulling for VaTech to make it to the sweet 16, or are we hoping they flame out in the first weekend?
expresswrittenconsent
KaneIsAble said:

So are we pulling for VaTech to make it to the sweet 16, or are we hoping they flame out in the first weekend?

Personally, I'd prefer they win big game one, and lose a heartbreaker game two and we have him next week, rather than wait another 7 days from winning game 2 and making the s16.
gig them
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Buzz could lose his opening game and I'd still be thrilled if we hired him. I'm down with any result that gets this sucker done quickly.
DTP02
AG
The less time people have to make inroads with our recruits the better. Probably the best scenario would be Va Tech losing in the round of 32 on a miracle shot at the buzzer.
PJYoung
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

lol, in the past 20 years Liucci has more than proven he knows what he is talking about when it comes to coaching searches.

But there are plenty of posters who love to take shots for whatever reason. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
expresswrittenconsent
Is that a slam on looch? I assumed seth davis was the target.
PJYoung
AG

Oh maybe.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Preach brother. Eric Hyman was the worst...not to mention him wearing a freaking TCU shirt to the A&M baseball game.
Pumpkinhead
AG

The poster bolded a sentence in Luicci's quote so
Yeah it looked like a potshot at Looch.
expresswrittenconsent
*bold choice, cotton.gif*
dixichkn
AG
AggieDruggist89
AG
I live near Blacksburg and work with many Hokies. Even went to watch the Duke game. My employer is a fairly large sponsor of their basketball program and the guy who I went to the game with is a passionate Hokie. He said he heard we are doubling Buzz's salary. All hearsay and I have nothing to validate any information about Buzz.

Another Hokie who came for a meeting was pretty unhappy to see A&M things in my office.

It's an interesting time for an Aggie in Hokie land.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.