SIAP, but VT questions here...

3,726 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by #Mke
Gman7709
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If VT ends up making a deep tournament run, i.e., elite 8, final 4, or wins title, does that decrease the chances that Buzz leaves them? I would think it would have to, no? I mean, we want him to do well, right??
_lefraud_
AG
Preferably we would want him to lose the first weekend. If he makes a run by winning 3 or more games, he's going to have more leverage for a higher asking price. If he somehow makes the Final Four, then yea, I'd say the chances of him coming to Aggieland for next year goes down.
DukeMu
Buzz + Blackshear.
JJxvi
AG
Id be fascinated to watch a deep Va Tech run just to see how long the unfolding "I tweeted about Buzz, but didnt @him and he blocked me!" saga among some VT fans that I see now can go.
Know Your Enemy
AG
If he loses before the Sweet Sixteen the mouthbreathers here will complain about hiring him.
94 Killer
AG
Every tournament win increases contract offer exponentially. He needs to lose early.
Gman7709
AG
OK, so we root for his failure early and then we're excited about getting a guy who got bounced as a 4 seed??
Know Your Enemy
AG
I really don't think how he does in this tournament is going to have a major affect on what we have to pay him. If anything, the farther he goes the bigger the story it is when he leaves to come here.
expresswrittenconsent
94 Killer said:

Every tournament win increases contract offer exponentially*. He needs to lose early.

*But fortunately not actually exponentially.
phorizt
i'm not good at math... so would 3 wins mean we have to pay him $40 million per year? Or like $400 million?
Tango_Mike
Junkhead said:

If he loses before the Sweet Sixteen the mouthbreathers here will complain about hiring him.

That is factual, and it will be awesome.

And mouthbreathers is an under-used term
Pumpkinhead
AG
If Buzz Williams has had serious interest in moving back to the Texas/Oklahoma area where he's from, and the A&M job satisfies his criteria, I doubt winning a couple of NCAA tournament games would be a factor. But none of us here are in Buzz Williams' head knowing what his current thought process is.

Virginia Tech has a low probability of getting past the Sweet Sixteen. They will run into Zion Williamson in the Sweet Sixteen if they make it that far.

TyperWoods
$$$ is already decided, Buzz or not.

Because if there wasn't an agreement in place, BK would still be the coach. At least on paper.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Buzz being bounced in the first round would feel a little bit like the "oh ****" feeling we had watching Sumlin get dominated in the 2011 CUSA Championship Game.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Logan on radio this morning: said he would be surprised if not Buzz. Though if VTech made an Elite Eight/Final Four run next 2 weeks, the price may go up. Per Luicci, Woodward is not interested in hiring a mid-major/up-and-comer type. They are in home stretch to land Buzz Williams and looks likely but gotta close.

CapCityAg89
AG
TyperWoods said:

Because if there wasn't an agreement in place, BK would still be the coach. At least on paper.

I think this is accurate. Deal is done with Buzz or someone else.
CapCityAg89
AG
The crap part of this world is what it does to the VT team. Those kids deserve better than all the gossip that will surround them next weekend.
Belton Ag
AG
I have to think that this thing is a "done deal" and has been since before the firing of Kennedy. Much like Jimbo's deal last year.

I seriously doubt this tournament will have any impact.
EliteZags
AG
phorizt said:

i'm not good at math... so would 3 wins mean we have to pay him $40 million per year? Or like $400 million?
400 would be logarithmically

and he could control the outcome of every game in the entire tourney with that kind of deal
AggieDad74
Also take into exception that VaTech can match any offer that A&M might place upon the table.

If they're happy with him, they'll find the necessary funds to help reward success there!
MarcAg
AG
TyperWoods said:

Strongly disagree on the last part. You are right Woodward already has it worked out. But if he didn't and wasn't sure who he was going to hire, Kennedy would already be fired. They wouldn't just keep him on until they found the guy. But in this case we had the guy before March.
TopoTacos
AG
We are going to pay him(or whoever we hire) handsomely to the point that anything short of a Championship probably won't move the needle too much, relatively speaking.

As it stands I'm hoping he makes the sweet 16, would be good momentum for the new culture change on campus/surrounding the program. A bit harder to imagine them knocking out Duke if Zion is playing, though that's all part of the madness...
Know Your Enemy
AG
AggieDad74 said:

Also take into exception that VaTech can match any offer that A&M might place upon the table.

If they're happy with him, they'll find the necessary funds to help reward success there!

Not necessarily. Buzz wants to get back to Texas. Plus, if we decide he's our guy no matter the cost VaTech can't keep up with a bidding war.
#Mke
AG
I want Buzz to win it all, and then bolt for Aggieland!

Then we'll really have the "Jimbo hire" we've all been hoping for!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.