Coaching Changes

38,016 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mikesyracuse1
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coaching Changes

A&M - Billy Kennedy BUZZ WILLIAMS (Virginia Tech)
Alabama - Avery Johnson Nate Oates (Buffalo)
Arkansas - Mike Anderson Eric Musselman (Nevada)
Cal - Wyking Jones Mark Fox
Cincinatti - Mick Cronin
Nebraska - Tim Miles Fred Hoiberg
St. Johns - Chris Mullin
Temple - Fran Dunphy Aaron McKie
Tulane - Mike Dunleavy Ron Hunter (Georgia State)
UNLV - Marvin Menzies TJ Otzelberger (South Dakota State)
UCLA - Steve Alford Mick Cronin (Cincinatti)
Vanderbilt - Bryce Drew Jerry Stackhouse
Virginia Tech - Buzz Williams Mike Young (Wofford)
Washington State - Ernie Kent Kyle Smith (San Francisco)

BYU - Dave Rose Mark Pope (Utah Valley)
George Washington - Maurice Joseph Jamion Christian (Siena)
Nevada - Eric Musselman
Saint Joseph's - Phil Martelli Billy Lange

Appalachian St - Jim Fox Dustin Kerns
Belmont - Rick Byrd Casey Alexander (Lipscomb)
Buffalo - Nate Oates Jim Whitesell
Cal Poly - Joe Callero John Smith
Elon - Matt Matheny Mike Schrage
Fairfield - Sydney Johnson Jay Young
Georgia State - Ron Hunter Rob Lanier
Howard - Kevin Nickelberry
Idaho State - Bill Evans
Kennesaw State - Al Skinner
Lipscomb - Casey Alexander
Maryland-Eastern Shore - Cliff Reed
Mercer - Bob Hoffman Greg Gary
Mississippi Valley State - Andre Payne
Missouri-Kansas City - Kareem Richardson Billy Donlon
Montana State - Brian Fish Danny Sprinke
Morgan State - Todd Bozeman
Niagara - Chris Casey Patrick Beilein
Ohio - Saul Phillips Jeff Boals (Stony Brook)
Presbyterian - Dustin Kerns
San Francisco - Kyle Smith Todd Golden
Siena - Jamion Christian Carmen Maciariello
SIU Edwardsville - Jon Harris Brian Barone
South Dakota State - T.J. Otzelberger Eric Henderson
Southern Illinois - Barry Hinson Bryan Mullins
Stetson - Corey Williams Donnie Jones
Stony Brook - Jeff Boals Geno Ford
Tennessee Tech - Steve Payne John Pelphrey
Troy - Phil Cunningham Scott Cross
William & Mary - Tony Shaver Dane Fischer
Wofford - Mike Young
BQ_90
AG
LSU is ina pickle. Wait and miss pit on the wave of poetentisl hires, or fire you guy now which might tank a deep run in the tourney. Honestly seems to me you either fire him or let him coach the tourney
SolidRockAg
BQ_90 said:

LSU is ina pickle. Wait and miss pit on the wave of poetentisl hires, or fire you guy now which might tank a deep run in the tourney. Honestly seems to me you either fire him or let him coach the tourney

Is there another option?
BQ_90
AG
Not sure why you'd keep him suspended for the tourney. If you think he cheated then you fire him, if not let him coach
EKG1996
AG
William & Mary fired their coach
DukeMu
EKG1996 said:

Well, that changes everything, then.
TyHolden
AG
EKG1996 said:

that ruined my day. I think buzz's wife is named Mary. Just seems fitting now. Call up the utep coach.
GE
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

EKG1996 said:

that ruined my day. I think buzz's wife is named Mary. Just seems fitting now. Call up the utep coach.
BK is more fitting. His name is William and his wifez name is Mary
LawHall88
AG
If BK wants to keep coaching, he should call Tulane. But for his health issues that might be a good match.
phorizt
_lefraud_ said:

The following jobs are open

A&M
UNLV
Washington St
UCLA
Tulane
George Washington
Appalachian St
Tennessee Tech
UMKC

Hop questioned whether or not Arkansas would look to make a change. Any other potential openings? Have to think LSU will be looking for a new coach in a month or so.

Virginia Tech
Dandy 76
AG
phorizt said:

_lefraud_ said:

The following jobs are open

A&M
UNLV
Washington St
UCLA
Tulane
George Washington
Appalachian St
Tennessee Tech
UMKC

Hop questioned whether or not Arkansas would look to make a change. Any other potential openings? Have to think LSU will be looking for a new coach in a month or so.

Virginia Tech
I see what you did there!
JJxvi
AG
Hoiberg rumored to be taking the Nebraska job (not open yet)
KatyAg88
William & Mary job open does change things 'cuz Ranger65 knows people and makes things happen.
BigHitterDaLama
Signs pointing that Arizona will need a new NC?
CapCityAg89
AG
This is a surprise ...

_lefraud_
AG
Saint Joseph's fires Martelli...not sure anyone saw that one coming.
LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Saint Joseph's fires Martelli...not sure anyone saw that one coming.
Gives the media another school to beat up, though.
_lefraud_
AG
Was A&M getting "beat up" over firing Kennedy?
LawHall88
AG
Not as bad as I expected, to be honest. Prohm said some rough things.
agtrevino07
AG
LawHall88 said:

Not as bad as I expected, to be honest. Prohm said some rough things.
It was exepected that Prohm was going to show support to his former mentor.

"My only disappointment is he deserved better from them, the way that thing got leaked out," Prohm said. "I hate it for him because he's been a huge impact in my life, but I'm really disappointed in with everything going on in our society today that he deserved better. That's the bottom line of it. He deserved better than for that to be leaked out going in to play Vanderbilt.

"That's terrible. If I offend anybody about that, it shouldn't because everybody knows that man deserves better than to go into his last tournament and everything he's had to battle since he took over the job, it's bush league. They should give an apology to him."

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/20190315/iowa-state-mens-basketball-notebook---steve-prohm-calls-longtime-boss-billy-kennedys-ouster-from-texas-am-terrible-and-bush-league

Con Spirito
I can understand how Prohm feels this personally but to be honest, if you don't want to generate public leaks about our job status, don't take a job that guarantees you millions and where people pay to see you perform in public. That knife cuts both ways.

An unrelated point - Jim Fox was at Appalchian State; Steve Payne at Tennessee Tech.
Hop
Staff
AG
Con Spirito said:

I can understand how Prohm feels this personally but to be honest, if you don't want to generate public leaks about our job status, don't take a job that guarantees you millions and where people pay to see you perform in public. That knife cuts both ways.

An unrelated point - Jim Fox was at Appalchian State; Steve Payne at Tennessee Tech.

Why does it matter what he makes? We're not talking about public speculation here. That is to be expected in this business. We're talking about a leak. That is 100% on the university.
JJxvi
AG
Updated level of give a **** : Still low
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

Con Spirito said:

Why does it matter what he makes? We're not talking about public speculation here. That is to be expected in this business. We're talking about a leak. That is 100% on the university.
The optics for A&M were bad.

The problem is if high up boosters need to be involved- it's hard to plug that leak if someone wants to talk. Could have been friend or foe of bk.
mhayden
Mountain out of a molehill.

Most people didn't even realize we fired our coach... much less that we "surprised" him... much less that a guy like Prohm commented on it.
Hop
Staff
AG
Who cares about optics or "nobody is paying attention anyway." That has nothing to do with it. It's about character and how we as individuals and in this case organizations we support handles itself professionally and with class. I don't care if it's firing a secretary, associate professor, janitor, president of the university, or a million dollar coach, we should expect our institution to handle a sensitive issue like that with respect and dignity. And this wasn't a donor leak. It came directly from the university.

It's sad when this has to be explicitly explained.
Tango_Mike
Hop said:

Who cares about optics or "nobody is paying attention anyway." That has nothing to do with it. It's about character and how we as individuals and in this case organizations we support handles itself professionally and with class. I don't care if it's firing a secretary, associate professor, janitor, president of the university, or a million dollar coach, we should expect our institution to handle a sensitive issue like that with respect and dignity. And this wasn't a donor leak. It came directly from the university.

I'm not saying leaks are good, but you guys basically pay the bills by getting leaks from the AD... especially around coaching changes
mhayden
Hop said:

Except you don't actually know how it went down, you are simply theorizing.

And you literally tossed out an accusation that BZ may have violated one of the principal tenets of journalism and ran with something that was supposed to be off the record.

But hey, I guess that doesn't fall under being professional...
expresswrittenconsent
It's the exact kind of pointless internet outrage culture he complains about on other threads.
superunknown
AG
Nobody gives af about the optics of an A&M basketball leak. For every coach crying over BK there's 50+ who would step over him to move up the ladder. Totally understand Prohm sticking up for him but worrying about "the optics" is not even laughable, it makes me think you have brain damage.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Kennedy is Prohm's mentor and totally understandable that he'd stick up for him.

Though I don't agree with leaks, the 'leak' in this case wasn't leaking something that was much of a secret. It had been apparent for several weeks that a change was very likely and all the basketball insider types seemed to be convinced no later that a couple of weeks before the season ended that it was a foregone conclusion. There is no way that Kennedy being fired was a surprise to him, his staff, or any of the players.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Our leaders who pay the basketball salary can do whatever the hell they want to (as long as they don't break real laws)
superunknown
AG
BQ_90
AG
superunknown said:

bobinator
AG
Yep, Avery's out. Will be interesting to see who wants that job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.