Chris Harris asks for his release from LOI

15,016 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Artimus Gordon
Well it is better that these guys leave now than next December as we have seen in the past!
Best of luck to him!
45-70Ag
AG
Not surprising
Athletes commit to coaches, not the school.
AggieOne
AG
Your loss. Not everyone gets to play for coach K.
TMF
AG
At least meet with the new coaches. Welcome to the real world.
LesterHaze
AggieOne said:

Your loss. Not everyone gets to play for coach K.

lol but seriously Harris' other offers were from the likes of Baylor, Memphis, North Texas.

We will manage without him in the long term.
JJxvi
AG
I mean, like 1/3 good Kennedy recruits were gonna transfer anyway rather than actually play
DukeMu
JJxvi said:

I mean, like 1/3 good Kennedy recruits were gonna transfer anyway rather than actually play
Pumpkinhead
AG
Usually some roster uncertainty during coaching transition. Some guys may transfer or decommit. New staff may bring a guy or two with him.
phatty26
better be ready to work and held accountable no more garbage on the floor, and a coach who routinely got out coached.
Hop
Staff
AG
That is an expected short-term response by a recruit that has been committed(signed) for over a year. I assume when he cools down, he'll talk to the new coach and then they will decide where this goes.

On Harris...his stock based on performances last summer improved from middle 3-star to low 4-star after he was committed. I think he would get new interest from programs the caliber of Baylor, Arkansas, TCU, etc.
EXCELL
He doesn't even know who will be the coach yet
Knee jerk reaction
Gap
AG
It is important to keep Chris in the fold. He is a good young guard who will be a key part of our program for the next 4 years. I hope he slows down and allows the uncertainty to subside and talks to the new coach in a few weeks.
Ag_EE_88
AG
So glad we learned our lesson. Never keep a crappy coach because you are worried that some recruit threatens or asks to leave. Seems like we've done that a lot.
Deputy Travis Junior
Gap said:

It is important to keep Chris in the fold. He is a good young guard who will be a key part of our program for the next 4 years. I hope he slows down and allows the uncertainty to subside and talks to the new coach in a few weeks.

Have eight years of Kennedy taught you nothing? You have no idea if a player will be an important component until he shows up and actually is.
Gap
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Gap said:

Have eight years of Kennedy taught you nothing? You have no idea if a player will be an important component until he shows up and actually is.
It did teach me that we need to keep our top recruits in the program so that we don't have depth issues. And there is no reason that Chris wouldn't be a 4 year contributor. He would immediately be in the rotation.
CapCityAg89
AG
EXCELL said:

Knee jerk reaction

He's 18. Of course it's knee jerk. That's what teenagers do. As Gap says, hopefully he waits it out and sees what happens.
Method Man
He wants to be rerecruited and establish a new "relationship".
Skull Session
Fine! Give him his release and let him go somewhere else. The new coach shouldn't have to be stuck with the fired coaches recruits. Maybe the new coach would want to bring some of his recruits in!
GE
AG
We should absolutely grant releases to those who ask for them....after the new coach has been announced and he or she has had a chance to meet with them.
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

And there is no reason that Chris wouldn't be a 4 year contributor. He would immediately be in the rotation.
A high 3 star/low 4 star guy is miles away from a can't-miss player. He could easily show up, average 2.5/1 for 2 years, and then transfer to SFA or something. We have no idea.

If he ends up at A&M, great. I'll hope that our next coach develops the heck out of him and that he turns into a stud. If he doesn't make it to campus... meh.
GE
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Quote:

And there is no reason that Chris wouldn't be a 4 year contributor. He would immediately be in the rotation.
A high 3 star/low 4 star guy is miles away from a can't-miss player. He could easily show up, average 2.5/1 for 2 years, and then transfer to SFA or something. We have no idea.

If he ends up at A&M, great. I'll hope that our next coach develops the heck out of him and that he turns into a stud. If he doesn't make it to campus... meh.
He's going to be a very good college player. Here he is playing 3 on 3 with Tyler, TJ, King McClure, and some other guys. He's the one in the black Nike shirt and red shorts. This was too years ago so would have been after his sophomore season in high school

EXCELL
CapCityAg89 said:

He's 18. Of course it's knee jerk. That's what teenagers do. As Gap says, hopefully he waits it out and sees what happens.

How quickly you grasped my point.
TopoTacos
AG
Method Man said:

He wants to be rerecruited and establish a new "relationship".

As he absolutely should, it's a big decision and he has every right to know what coaching staff he will be working with for the next 4 years. As long as we bring in a solid replacement we've got a good chance to earn his recommitment
Hop
Staff
AG
Skull Session said:

Fine! Give him his release and let him go somewhere else. The new coach shouldn't have to be stuck with the fired coaches recruits. Maybe the new coach would want to bring some of his recruits in!

There will be no recruits to bring in from the 2019 class this late in the cycle ...at least none that are decent that could contribute.

Keeping Harris and the others is critical in the short term unless you want to see Mark French playing again next season.
GE
AG
Hop said:

Skull Session said:

There will be no recruits to bring in from the 2019 class this late in the cycle ...at least none that are decent that could contribute.

Keeping Harris and the others is critical in the short term unless you want to see Mark French playing again next season.
I 100% want to see March French playing.
Skull Session
So you are telling me there is no April signing day for basketball recruits. And Harris may not be the only recruit out there that has ask for a release because of a coaching change. So there are no players left in the transfer portal either.

And no i don't mind French playing. He would make a good back up to TJ Starks next year. For someone that just came off the bench two weeks ago he played with a lot of moxy despite his size. Even scored 10 points in the first game he played.

And what about all those white guys on the end of the bench? What were they doing except taking up space?

If a recruit is going to run, I would rather him do it now, than come in and take off mid season. We had no options after Jasey left. Left us with two post players, when they both could have been out there and rotated with Jasey. But no, Jasey didn't get enough playing time in the fall and left the program. And that is on Kennedy and he paid a price for it.
BQ_90
AG
I would imagine that the new coach will be wearing out the grander portal
phorizt
This is college basketball, there several ways to add players this late. There are a couple of jucos VT is after right now, other kids will ask for a release when lots of other coaches get fired/leave, and then there's the 800+ transfers that happen every year. Not a lot of HS player options but plenty of ways to hold you over for a year until you get your first full recruiting class in.
ClassOf17
We saw this happen with Jimbo in Football. Not worried
TXAggie2011
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

EXCELL said:

Knee jerk reaction

If the reason he wanted to come here is gone, it's best for everyone for him to go ahead and let that be known.

He can go through whatever recruiting process there is left to be had and the new A&M coach isn't placed in an awkward situation.

He can still come to Texas A&M. Let it play out.
Aston04
AG
Skull Session said:

And what about all those white guys on the end of the bench? What were they doing except taking up space?

I found that really interesting--- even in the last game of the year... An embarrassing blowout... BK never fully emptied the bench at the end.

To me, all season he made a point of trying to make the score more respectable at the end. We had multiple late covers. While obviously, this one wasn't going to cover no matter what--- I think he was trying to dial that score back trying to look better than reality.
Double Diamond
Happens. Getting the correct coach is more important. New coach will be expected to find players.
Double Diamond
This is juco season. Buzz loves junior college guys. And grad transfer market. Might be a rough transition year. But set things up for year two.
Double Diamond
I noticed the same thing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.