Shaka

16,540 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCityAg89
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?

_lefraud_
AG
Would Wake Forest snag him at this point?
mhayden
I have a hard time believing a scenario where "Texas will help him find a landing spot".

Even if in some wacky world they acted as an employer and broker to find him a new school, it wouldn't be a school that has the financials to support swallowing part of his buyout in any significant way.

Shaka isn't walking away from $13 million.
AggieDad74
free_mhayden said:

I have a hard time believing a scenario where "Texas will help him find a landing spot".

Even if in some wacky world they acted as an employer and broker to find him a new school, it wouldn't be a school that has the financials to support swallowing part of his buyout in any significant way.

He very well could walk away with a check for several million and with guaranteed employment elsewhere!
DukeMu
AggieDad74 said:

free_mhayden said:

He very well could walk away with a check for several million and with guaranteed employment elsewhere!

Correct.

Fear the Beard!

t.u.'s Brinks truck is rounding the corner in Lubbock...about now.
mhayden
AggieDad74 said:

free_mhayden said:

Why would you walk away with a check for several million when you are guaranteed $13 million?

He's going to be able to find a job just fine, it's not like he has tanked the Longhorn program. Barnes last 3 years at Texas he missed the tournament and finished 11-7 and 8-10 in conference -- not too much different than what Shaka has done. He managed to find a job rather quickly.

Texas isn't paying the lion's share of a $13m buyout AND ponying up $4m/year for a guy like Beard (including compensating Beard for the money he loses via the "can't leave for another B12 school" stipulation in his Tech contract).

The financials simply don't work. The linked article is your standard "borne out of frustration" type article we saw all the time after Sumlin disappointed.
Frank Grimes
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Wake fans I know think they already have him.
mhayden
Frank Grimes said:

_lefraud_ said:

Wake fans I know think they already have him.

Do they have any insight on how they are going to pay Manning's fully guaranteed contract?

I get that there's little barrier to entry to put up "I think this coach will be fired" articles, but it seems like a lot of these writers take this very basic viewpoint of "well the coach is not doing well so I think he'll be fired" without realizing that the financials very much drive things in college basketball. Duke and Kentucky can afford to write a check to buyout a mediocre coach because their athletic programs bring in enough revenue from basketball to make it worth it.

But this world where Texas and Wake Forest are writing 8-figure checks to get rid of basketball coaches (and then turning around and writing 8 figure contracts for new ones) is not based in any kind of reality.

So unless Danny Manning or Shaka Smart decide to walk away from tens of millions to go coach at a lesser program then they will both likely be holding the same job next season.
LawHall88
AG
Even given how he has fared at Texas, I doubt Shaka would need "help" finding another HC job.

But if he wants out to take a lower paying job - Wake Forest or Cal, maybe - then he can negotiate a reduced buyout and leave. If tu doesn't play ball, he can say "great, I'm staying."
AggieDad74
free_mhayden said:

AggieDad74 said:

free_mhayden said:

Why would you walk away with a check for several million when you are guaranteed $13 million?

He's going to be able to find a job just fine, it's not like he has tanked the Longhorn program. Barnes last 3 years at Texas he missed the tournament and finished 11-7 and 8-10 in conference -- not too much different than what Shaka has done. He managed to find a job rather quickly.

Texas isn't paying the lion's share of a $13m buyout AND ponying up $4m/year for a guy like Beard (including compensating Beard for the money he loses via the "can't leave for another B12 school" stipulation in his Tech contract).

The financials simply don't work. The linked article is your standard "borne out of frustration" type article we saw all the time after Sumlin disappointed.

Hell! Shaka could go away with the full Sips $13M buyout, and then go and commentate over at ESPN or CBS for a couple of years!

That wouldn't be a bad gig either!
expresswrittenconsent
The "article" cited in the tweet is a blog post written by a user named bitterwhiteguy.
Tango_Mike
expresswrittenconsent said:

The "article" cited in the tweet is a blog post written by a user named bitterwhiteguy.

Seems legit.meme
mhayden
You guys don't understand, his phone has been *vibrating* and *vibrating* and *vibrating*.

I picture all of these rich, well-connected donor decision makers texting this blog writer about how Shaka is out within 3-4 hours of the loss on Saturday.
Tango_Mike
expresswrittenconsent said:

That blog post...

"My sources say it might be happening, but it might not be. The timing is unclear, and there are lots of variables. It will happen unless things change, because it might not happen. I have a hunch there are some things getting in the way, and if they do expect an announcement when it does happen. Unless, if other things do or don't happen it could change either way"
expresswrittenconsent
BaysideTigerHorn and LonghornRojo both confirm what has been reported.
Gap
AG
Shaka has the Sumlin fully guaranteed contract. At the end of the day, no need for him to take a penny less. He can take the full contract from Texas and then take another job on top of it. His agent would be a fool to negotiate anything away. An agent would not be representing his client well to take any reduced buyout. It is just common sense.
Tango_Mike
The dude even admits that Texas helping Shaka find a new job is just some random **** he made up on his own
AggieDad74
I'll start believing that BK and Shaka are going away just as soon as ESPN or CBS starts giving lip service to it!
greg.w.h
AG
You have to give Longhorns credit for inventiveness in their solipsism...
EXCELL
At least tu has the 'nads to pull the plug even though it will cost them some serious bucks.

That never happens here ... the proof is in the long list of coaches kept here when the handwriting had been on the wall for years.

old yeller
AG
Tango_Mike said:

The dude even admits that Texas helping Shaka find a new job is just some random **** he made up on his own

Doesn't mean it's NOT true
Pumpkinhead
AG
Horns boosters calling FBI offices right now in desperation asking them if any Shaka stuff on wiretaps.
TAQ
AggieTFA06 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Horns boosters calling FBI offices right now in desperation asking them if any Shaka stuff on wiretaps,

I'm hoping we can find some FBI wire taps on BK.

One of the sorriest comments by TFA06, regarding the impact it would have on TAMU and on another human being's life, that I have ever seen posted on this site...and unfutunately that is saying a lot.

Artimus Gordon
Looks like McClyde is trying to get something started. Small brushfire turns into a firestorm. Just like all the nonsense about tu trying to get A&M to agree to a football series again. Start it in the media and get the snowball rolling.
mhayden
I'd say it's probably more likely he's just looking for clicks.
M.D.
My money is on Hoiberg
Mikeyshooter
AG
Literally everyone that covers the Longhorns says there is no movement on Shaka being let go. Still might happen but there hasn't been any smoke yet.
old yeller
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Literally everyone that covers the Longhorns says there is no movement on Shaka being let go. Still might happen but there hasn't been any smoke yet.

Will be interesting to see if they don't make the dance.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Shaka is coming back guys.
Pumpkinhead
AG
$13.8 MILLION buyout to fire him after this season. $13.8 MILLION...
Tango_Mike
Pumpkinhead said:

$13.8 MILLION buyout to fire him after this season. $13.8 MILLION...

Yeah, I don't know if "bitterwhiteguy" is on it here
Mike Elko
AG
Lunardi currently has the whorns as an 11-seed. Losers of 4 of last 5 games, 16-15 overall record, and 8-10 in a weak conference. Hilarious if they make it in.
Topher17
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Lunardi currently has the whorns as an 11-seed. Losers of 4 of last 5 games, 16-15 overall record, and 8-10 in a weak conference. Hilarious if they make it in.

I'll start by saying the Big12 isn't a weak conference, it just doesn't really have any elite teams this year and only 2 truly bad teams.
More to the point, it depends what the committee is weighting heaviest, good wins or bad losses. They have some really nice wins against teams like UNC and Purdue, but they also have some inexplicable losses to teams like Radford at home. I don't think a team that is .500, which they could be after their game against KU this week, should ever get in as an at large, but I can see the case for them, especially in an unusually soft bubble year. I'd much rather see the committee reward a team like Belmont than a .500 major conference team.
Gap
AG
Texas has a must win 1st round game coming in the Big 12 tournament against Kansas.
smokedraw
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Shows how bad the bubble is this year. Texas has been overwhelmingly mediocre but has some big wins over UNC, Purdue, K-State and Kansas on its resume.

My guess is if they lose their first game in the BXII tournament, they'll be on the outside looking in. Just can't see the NCAA taking a .500 overall team that's not an automatic bid.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.