Frank Martin

6,303 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
John Pugliese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd say that Dave Odom did a solid job at South Carolina, Darren Horn after year one really struggled to put out a quality product and was fired because of it. I think Frank Martin took over a much tougher job at SC than Kennedy did at A&M. A&M's previous two coaches took better jobs, the previous two coaches at SC retired and were fired.
In terms of success as a program, sounds like the success is pretty even.
South Carolina spends more on their basketball program while also bringing in more revenue than A&M's.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Baylor has a better history than A&M, which is the better job?

They are about the same on objective criteria. If you aren't using history to evaluate the programs, then what is your metric why you think A&M basketball is superior?

Recent success? Baylor has been to the NCAA's 7 of the last 10 years.

Conference affiliation? The one sport where the Big 12 has the edge.

Facilities? Anytime you are comparing anything to Reed Arena, it's not a slam dunk.

Attendance and following? Certainly can't give the edge to A&M.

Mikeyshooter
AG
Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

They are about the same on objective criteria. If you aren't using history to evaluate the programs, then what is your metric why you think A&M basketball is superior?

Facilities? Anytime you are comparing anything to Reed Arena, it's not a slam dunk.

It's pretty silly to compare our program right now to Baylor. They have their best coach in history who has peaked and is on the downside of his career. A&M has a coach who is noticeably worse than the previous 2 coaches. Let A&M hire a new coach after the season and I don't see how you could argue Baylor is better.

PS- The Big 12 is definitely a better conference for basketball. But the SEC is bringing in loads of talent and has improved the coaching roster big time. I don't think any recruit picks Baylor over A&M because they are in the Big 12.
Method Man
Baylor has better boosters and coach. The rest is all nothing.
MMantle
AG
about half as much talent ?

Love my Aggies, but I disagree, when I watch us play, I see, at best, a bunch of average players, each having deficiencies, a few in multiple areas.

RR
GE
AG
Method Man said:

You think better boosters?
Hop
Staff
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

It's pretty silly to compare our program right now to Baylor. They have their best coach in history who has peaked and is on the downside of his career. A&M has a coach who is noticeably worse than the previous 2 coaches. Let A&M hire a new coach after the season and I don't see how you could argue Baylor is better.

PS- The Big 12 is definitely a better conference for basketball. But the SEC is bringing in loads of talent and has improved the coaching roster big time. I don't think any recruit picks Baylor over A&M because they are in the Big 12.

When Turgeon was the coach, Baylor won several head-to-head battles for high level recruits.
mhayden
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

I'm certainly not on the Frank Martin bandwagon, but in a comparison are we just ignoring what he did at his previous school?

4 tournaments in 5 years at K-State, including a Final Four.
Yes...because he's been at USCe for a long time and that record speaks for itself. He's been there seven years, right?

If you look at his record and type of seasons, his track record is eerily similar to Kennedy's. Both men landed a few really good players three mediocre seasons into their tenure, had a couple of big seasons, but go back to the mediocre trend line again. I'm sure Martin thanks the man above that those two studs that led to his big season were both from Columbia, SC.

We'll see what he does the rest of the way. The win over MSU was a nice win that makes you double-take, but I'm not ready to forget the two non-D1 because they've beaten Missouri and Vandy in the last week.

Martin has been to 5 tournaments in 11 years as a major conference coach.

Kennedy has been to 2 in 7.

Im certainly not a Frank Martin fanboy, but in no world do the two coaches have similar resumes unless you just ignore what Martin did at Kansas State.
Method Man
GE said:

Method Man said:

You think better boosters?

For b-ball yes
Gap
AG
Good grief, why are we talking about Frank Martin who is in his 7th year at South Carolina and has been to 1 NCAA tournament while there.
expresswrittenconsent
Poor Gap, the title of this thread was both confusing and misleading. I empathize with your hurt feelings, buddy.
mhc06
EliteZags said:

=

+

LawHall88
AG
Gap said:

Aren't they 4-0 and not 5-0?

Can I pass on him before Hop. He is in his 7th year at South Carolina and has been to the NCAA tourney once. He has home losses this year to Stony Brook and Wofford.

Their 4-0 SEC record is against teams that are 2-11 in the SEC. A quick look shows their next 3 SEC games are against LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee. We will see if they are any good coming up.

LSU up 20 on SC at halftime.
Method Man
Just a hot shooting TSU type team.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

No no no. Hop will be here shortly to tell you he's a mediocre coach even though he's at maybe the worst program in the SEC.
Have you ever seen Hop and Kennedy together at the same time?

Of course not.

Case closed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
LawHall88
AG
SC with a nice bounceback from a rough outing at LSU. Up 9 against Auburn with 9 minutes to play.

SC is playing two posts (Haase and Kotsar) together on the floor. BK refuses to play Nebo and Mekowulu together even when they aren't in foul trouble.
TXAggie2011
AG
Big win for South Carolina
LawHall88
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Big win for South Carolina
And Auburn drops to 2-3 in conference, with one of those wins against, well, us.
Method Man
Hop sees this as a win win since he doesn't think pearl is any good either.
Gap
AG
I was really surprised to see South Carolina beat Auburn tonight. I guess I'll eat a little crow. I'll still be surprised if they make the NCAA tourney. RPI (yes I know the NCAA doesn't use it anymore) moved up from 100 to 76 with the win. I don't know how it will move their NET rankings which started the week at 112.
BigOil
AG
They may stay hot... who knows.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

I was really surprised to see South Carolina beat Auburn tonight. I guess I'll eat a little crow. I'll still be surprised if they make the NCAA tourney. RPI (yes I know the NCAA doesn't use it anymore) moved up from 100 to 76 with the win. I don't know how it will move their NET rankings which started the week at 112.
I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn had a bit of a hangover from that loss at home to Kentucky on Saturday. There is that coach's old saying 'Don't let them beat you twice'. I watched that Kentucky/Auburn game and that last second shot by Harper which would have won the game was so close, went in and out of the cylinder. Then they had to go on the road on a Sat to Tue turnaround and play a much less talented team but one that plays tough defense and was confident. Overall a pretty difficult next game situation for Auburn to bounce back after a heart breaking loss, so not surprising to me that they dropped it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.