Frank Martin

6,304 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4-0 in conference. This team has about half as much talent as us. Edited as I had it at five.
Mikeyshooter
AG
No no no. Hop will be here shortly to tell you he's a mediocre coach even though he's at maybe the worst program in the SEC.
Goat Man
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

No no no. Hop will be here shortly to tell you he's a mediocre coach even though he's at maybe the worst program in the SEC.
I need the laugh/cry emoticon for this. So true!
zooguy96
Mikeyshooter said:

This.
_lefraud_
AG
https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2592352/replies/42059452#42059452
Gap
AG
Aren't they 4-0 and not 5-0?

Can I pass on him before Hop. He is in his 7th year at South Carolina and has been to the NCAA tourney once. He has home losses this year to Stony Brook and Wofford.

Their 4-0 SEC record is against teams that are 2-11 in the SEC. A quick look shows their next 3 SEC games are against LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee. We will see if they are any good coming up.

Method Man
Fine Gap fine
mikesyracuse1
Method Man said:

5-0 in conference. This team has about half as much talent as us.

Method, they are actually 4-0. His team has gotten healthy recently, which has helped. Someone always surprises in the SEC league play each year. We'll see how he does the next couple of weeks.

Mikesyracuse1
zooguy96
We are never the team that surprises.

We unsurprise.
AggieEyes
AG
Kennedy's contract is surprising!
greg.w.h
AG
I prefer a strongly opinionated Hop. He's a commentator hosting a discussion. He should feel as free as we do to state strong opinions. Martin has had an up and down experience at South Carolina. If he were at a blue blood he either would have been much better because of talent (not coaching) or fired.

I feel he would have a similar challenge with us. He definitely can coach but talent matters and while he has done more with less, he's probably there to get more to do more with.
EliteZags
AG

=

+

wacarnolds
AG
_lefraud_ said:

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2592352/replies/42059452#42059452

Great post from GE in there
GE said:

Tech won't be competitive in football or basketball for a decade. Too hard to convince athletes to go there. They have nothing whatsoever to sell.
Captain Pablo
AG
Martin has been a bust at SC

No thanks
_lefraud_
AG
It's the worst job in the league, yet he got them to the Final Four.
Captain Pablo
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Yeah he did have a good season, but also has had some bad seasons and is shaping up to have another one this year

I don't see him doing much better down the road
bobinator
AG
I think Frank Martin is like a poor man's Bruce Pearl. He doesn't recruit quite as well, and I don't think either one is exactly an X's and O's wizard, but their guys play incredibly hard.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

I think Frank Martin is like a poor man's Bruce Pearl. He doesn't recruit quite as well, and I don't think either one is exactly an X's and O's wizard, but their guys play incredibly hard.
FM could also be a poor man's BCG.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

"It's the worst job in the league, yet he got them to two Sweet 16's."

Since 2016, the most common battle cry here has been "but what did he do the other 5-6 seasons"? Yet, you ignore the exact same argument when applied to Martin.

Hop
Staff
AG
GrayMatter said:

bobinator said:

FM could also be a poor man's BCG.

Oh my...
mhayden
I'm certainly not on the Frank Martin bandwagon, but in a comparison are we just ignoring what he did at his previous school?

4 tournaments in 5 years at K-State, including a Final Four.
GE
AG
bobinator said:

They also both make crazy eyes and look like they could be related.
Method Man
You think Frank Martin loses by forty to Michigan with our talent last year?
greg.w.h
AG
I suspect BCG is cheaper than FM even now.

I also think FM and BCG had trouble recruiting the best of the best.
_lefraud_
AG
South Carolina is a MUCH worse job than A&M, and if you don't realize that, then we can't really move forward with a discussion.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

South Carolina is a MUCH worse job than A&M, and if you don't realize that, then we can't really move forward with a discussion.
I don't know much about USC. What makes it so bad?
Steeple
In fairness, Martin took over a program in much worse shape than BK did.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Are you saying he took K-State to a Final Four? I don't think that happened.
mhayden
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

You're right, I was viewing South Carolina's sports reference page (and saw Regional Final recently and then saw Frank Martin with a regional final at KState and equated them).

4 tournaments in 5 years at K-State, including an Elite 8.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

I'm certainly not on the Frank Martin bandwagon, but in a comparison are we just ignoring what he did at his previous school?

Yes...because he's been at USCe for a long time and that record speaks for itself. He's been there seven years, right?

If you look at his record and type of seasons, his track record is eerily similar to Kennedy's. Both men landed a few really good players three mediocre seasons into their tenure, had a couple of big seasons, but go back to the mediocre trend line again. I'm sure Martin thanks the man above that those two studs that led to his big season were both from Columbia, SC.

We'll see what he does the rest of the way. The win over MSU was a nice win that makes you double-take, but I'm not ready to forget the two non-D1 because they've beaten Missouri and Vandy in the last week.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

According to what metric?
_lefraud_
AG
Resources, resources, and more resources
Hop
Staff
AG
Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

According to what metric?
Texas A&M and South Carolina have about the same number of NCAA Tourney appearances (8 vs. 10). A&M has gone to three sweet 16's. USC has gone to three Sweet 16's and a Final Four. And USC did a lot of that while an independent.

Between 1995-2006, USCe went to the postseason 8 of the 11 years...three NCAA's and five NIT's w/ two NIT championships.

Since 1968, Texas A&M has had 16 twenty-win seasons. USCe has had 17.

Both programs are almost identical in historical record. Are going to tell me it's not worthy of a discussion that the programs are on equal footing historically?
John Pugliese
free_mhayden said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

You're right, I was viewing South Carolina's sports reference page (and saw Regional Final recently and then saw Frank Martin with a regional final at KState and equated them).

4 tournaments in 5 years at K-State, including an Elite 8.
Frank Martin took over a program set up for success at Kansas State.
Martin was Bob Huggins Top Assistant, and Huggins took off for West Virginia after only one year in Manhattan.
Frank Martin made Dalonte Hill the highest paid assistant in the country, because he was Michael Beasley's AAU Coach. He signed Beasley, Bill Walker, Jacob Pullen, Jamar Samuels, Dominique Sutton, Rodney McGruder, Wally Judge, Denis Clemente...
A couple second round NCAA exits, NIT and an Elite 8 loss to Butler...it was a pretty good run!
Frank Martin can coach...but since Dalonte Hill left his staff he hasn't gotten elite talent either.
Quick note...he was the only HM coach in the country to offer Ja Morant at Murray State, who is currently the top ranked point guard in this NBA draft class (who ended up at Murray State).
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
_lefraud_
AG
Baylor has a better history than A&M, which is the better job?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.