Last Timeout

2,946 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by claym711
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was I the only one confused about taking the last timeout after the first FT?

Bama misses the 1st. BK calls TO to draw up the final play. But what if the Bama guy misses the 2nd FT? Isn't it pretty much game over? Seems like it would have been much smarter to hold the timeout until after the 2nd FT in case they missed it.

PS- glad it worked out the way it did.

aggiebrad94
AG
No, you weren't.
2nd Generation Ag
Yes you are correct. It worked out and we won but for a guy who gas been coaching as long as he has you kinda scratch your head.

EO718
Sharpshooter
AG
I had the same thoughts. However, in the likelihood the free-throw is made, the Ags had a play set to go immediately and not allow Bama to organize their defense. I can see both arguments. Do not know what the Bama free throw % is but I bet that determined the TO timing.
Aston04
AG
Which brings up the question should have Avery had his guy miss the second on purpose? So little time- we prob have to shoot a 3 anyway. There is a risk of a foul though.
Wicked Good Ag
While I understand the point. You have to remember by calling it after the first free throw you can set up plays for a missed shot and a made shot AND by not doing it after a miss or make on the second free throw you can't allow Bama to set up a defense after a time out
TjgtAg08
AG
Also, if you call the timeout after the second FT and its a miss, then you do lose a few tenths of a second off the clock from when the ball hits the rim to the rebound to the TO. With that little time left, that could have been the difference. Had there been 6-7 seconds left, I would 100% agree, save the TO for after the FT.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I don't mind taking it when we did because with three seconds it's not like we were drawing up anything particularly complicated, you can go ahead and plan make or miss and then either way you're not giving the opponent much time to get set up.

Also yes, once I missed the first I'd have missed it on purpose if I were Alabama since there's no practical difference in being up one or up two really unless there's a foul and I'd take that risk knowing that refs hardly ever call fouls in those situations.

When Kennedy takes his timeouts (and doesn't) usually drives me crazy but I didn't have a problem with that one.
Adam87inSA
AG
MAYBE BK told the team about what he wanted in EITHER outcome. What to do in case of a make, what to do in case of a miss.

There are lots of legit things to question about our coaching. This particular thing is the least of our concerns, and we don't know what was said in the huddle.

Frankly, I think the staff deserves some credit for finally getting our team to value the basketball (3 turnovers in the whole game!) and getting the Ags to execute consistently to a targeted game plan (at least after halftime) of attacking the paint and feeding Nebo.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Totally agree. We all have our issues with Bk, but this was a great performance overall on the road!
aggiebrad94
AG
I certainly am not saying it was wrong. Just different in my opinion. I thought in college you get the ball at mid court on a timeout.
Method Man
No
Adam87inSA
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

I certainly am not saying it was wrong. Just different in my opinion. I thought in college you get the ball at mid court on a timeout.
In the NBA it would make total sense to conserve that one time out until after the final FT. Then, make or miss, an immediate timeout allows the team to inbound from the time line in the front court.

Not so in college ball.
PatAg
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

You have to advance the ball into the front court then call timeout to get it there.
BigOil
AG
I think we're over analyzing a Hail Mary play call.
BQ_90
AG
BigOil said:

I think we're over analyzing a Hail Mary play call.
which according to BK was supposed to be kicked out to Mahan
mhayden
Our plan was to kick it out to someone with 3 seconds left inbounding under our own basket?
EXCELL
Quote:

Our plan was to kick it out to someone with 3 seconds left inbounding under our own basket?
I didn't know that the plan BK drew up was to kick it out after an inbound from under our own basket. That's more unlikely than the running, from-downtown 3. In fact, it's essentially impossible.

So we OVERCAME a really bad coaching plan with a heroic shot ...
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

johnnyblaze36

You must be a subscriber to .
Subscribe Now
User ProfilePrivate MessageIgnore UserStop Ignoring
24 hoursOne weekPermanentlyCancel
5:40p, 1/12/19

AG

SIAP but did anybody see BK in the post-game saying the play was designed to go to Mayhan in the corner? You can see Kennedy just standing there pointing to the right the whole time as TJ is flying up the floor.

Starks said no sir I got this. Question is did he call glass? Solid win.

from the game thread. I should had qualified it. I didn't see it, I was checking out at HEB. I just watched the end of the game, they didn't have the post game interview posted.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Do you EVER have anything positive to say or are you ALWAYS Negative Nancy! We just beat a probable tournament team on the road who just beat Kentucky ! Did we play a perfect game ? Absolutely not ! But you don't always have to be negative Nancy
Mikeyshooter
AG
aggiemike said:

Do you EVER have anything positive to say or are you ALWAYS Negative Nancy! We just beat a probable tournament team on the road who just beat Kentucky ! Did we play a perfect game ? Absolutely not ! But you don't always have to be negative Nancy
I don't think it's wrong to point out that Avery Johnson committed coaching malpractice by not having his guy miss the last shot.

EXCELL
Review ALL the posts, not just the ones on coaching.

Oh ... and wake up and smell the coffee.

Gap
AG
Aggie wins always get "Excell" in a bad mood.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Seems that way. I mean, we won a road game against a team that has a good chance to make the dance. It just pains some people to say anything positive about BK when the team plays well.
EXCELL
Yuuz guys need to read ALL the posts.

I said it was a good win. I had stated before they played that keeping turnovers down and having an average shooting night was the key to winning. That's exactly how it went down though I must admit I didn't predict the running 3pt jumper. I also stated that AJ was outcoached by BK in that game. And I've spent more time at concession stand at Aggie basketball games than you clowns have in the seats.

That said, BK gets the W on a play that worked. The play that BK called was simply an impossible scenario that involved a full court inbounds setup with an inbounds pass and then a second pass to Mahan. No realistic way to make that happen unless Bama just guards the paint and watches the show.

He made some good calls and this one particularly bad call that luckily wasn't executed.

GE
AG
Does anyone actually have the link to where BK said that was meant to go to Mahan?

Edit - found it:
" Well obviously we were trying to get TJ the ball because he can get from one end to the other end as quick as possible and we put Brandon Mahan in the corner hoping that they would all converge on TJ and hit Brandon...."
Wicked Good Ag
EXCELL said:

And I've spent more time at concession stand at Aggie basketball games than you clowns have in the seats
DOUBTFUL
He made some good calls and this one particularly bad call that luckily wasn't executed.
Which one that wasn't executed?

Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Out of town season ticket holder for 5 years.
DTP02
AG
Not to get all positive, but have we given credit to Flagg for the inbounds and TJ for giving him a space to drop the pass in yet?

All too often you see teams essentially lose that game on the inbound by not being willing to go over the top of the defender and allowing the defense to force you to pass it into a guy coming back toward the passer.

That play doesn't work if TJ doesn't catch it with his momentum heading down court. We'd have settled for a guarded half court shot at best in all likelihood.
bobinator
AG
I can't believe they allowed that to even be a possibility.
EXCELL
Do not doubt it, grasshopper

Family season ticket holder since Shelby was an assistant to Bob Rogers. Used to go to Bob's house for post-game parties.

5 years is like yesterday. And yes I live out of town also. Roughly 2 hrs each way
claym711
AG
99 times out of 100 the timeout is saved for after the 2nd FT. We have that 1 guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.