Danuel

7,259 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wacarnolds
StickTogetherAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
evan_aggie
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2019/01/11/rockets-running-out-of-days-on-two-way-guard-danuel-house-jr/amp/
JPAggie2010
AG
Selfishly I hope he signs. I love the rockets and watching him progress in the system is icing on the cake
Goat Man
AG
evan_aggie said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2019/01/11/rockets-running-out-of-days-on-two-way-guard-danuel-house-jr/amp/
Interesting read... I too hope he signs with the Rockets. Even thought I won't watch the regular season this may push me to watch the postseason.
LawHall88
AG
bigsoos
I think he's been invaluable to the Rockets as a starter, I hope they can reach a deal
KVK77TexAg
AG
Really, really disappointing. Not sure where this all fell apart, or who the fault lies with, but the Rockets are going to miss Danuel and I can't imagine him being happy about this step backwards.

Is that it for him with the Rockets for this season? Any chance he gets to come back?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Disappointing indeed. I'm not positive but I thought the maximum number of games a player can appear on the main roster on a two way contract is 47 games in a season so it would seem that he has plenty of games left in which he could appear.

I could be totally wrong...that's just what I'm remembering in my mind from when Caruso got the 2 way with the Lakers and their G league squad.
aggiepublius
AG
Some details and quotes on breakdown here:

https://abc13.com/sports/source-danuel-house-jr-heads-to-g-league-after-turning-down-rockets-offer/5085619/
tarhee200
AG
I think he's stuck in G league for rest of the season now UNLESS the two sides continue to negotiate and reach an agreement on a standard (non two-way) contract (in which case he can rejoin the Rockets roster).

From what I saw he turned down the Rockets 3-year guaranteed offer...which seems odd to turn down 3 years of guaranteed NBA money as a G league player...but I guess he is thinking he can get better money in free agency after the season (of course any offer he receives in free agency as a restricted free agent the Rockets can choose to match)
johnnyblaze36
AG
From that link:

Quote:

He was allotted 33 days in the NBA, prorated from the 45 allotted to players who sign two-way contracts at the start of the season.

Does seem ballsy to turn down 3 years guaranteed when you have already been shipped around a lot. I'm wondering how much money he passed on.
bigsoos
I think it's like a total of 4.5M
randy828
AG
I can't believe this happened. Wish House would have taken the contract. I think he believes he can make more since he was in the Rockets starting line up...but it might be hard for him to find the right team/mix again.

evan_aggie
AG
If he really turned down $4.5mm I think it was a huge mistake.

And as much as I want to say they need him in the lineup, the rockets are a Harden one man show. They will never win the finals the way they play and frankly, I think it's pathetic how he manipulates the game via free throws and fouls. Then again, refs know this and still blow the whistle.
Hop
Staff
AG
Where do you see he was offered 4.5. I see the last offer was three years at league minimum which would be 3+ million over 3 years. He can get that in Europe. The guy he replaced in the lineup who was on the bench is making 3 million over 3 years.

Not a lot of risk for House to turn that offer down.
bigsoos
Hop said:

Where do you see he was offered 4.5. I see the last offer was three years at league minimum which would be 3+ million over 3 years. He can get that in Europe. The guy he replaced in the lineup who was on the bench is making 3 million over 3 years.

Not a lot of risk for House to turn that offer down.
I was going by $1,512,601, the minimum salary for a player with two years of experience, then that price for 3 years.
Hop
Staff
AG
How does the league calculate years served? I figure you have to put in a year's worth of games to reach a year served. But I have no idea what the fine print of the rules say.

Do two-way players get .2 years for playing 15 games one season, or do they get 1.0 credit because they played in the league that season?
Gap
AG
I understand it that House wanted to sign a deal for the remainder of this year at the league minimum but wasn't going to play for that for 3 years. The Rockets were just trying to get him on the cheap for years 2 and 3. That is the problem with their Chris Paul contract. They owe Paul $160M for this year through 2021-22.

I read that House will only make $77K this year. Is that really true?
Hop
Staff
AG
Gap said:

I understand it that House wanted to sign a deal for the remainder of this year at the league minimum but wasn't going to play for that for 3 years. The Rockets were just trying to get him on the cheap for years 2 and 3. That is the problem with their Chris Paul contract. They owe Paul $160M for this year through 2021-22.

I read that House will only make $77K this year. Is that really true?

I dont think so. The base G-league salary is something like $77k, but players get league minimum when they are in the league at a pro-rated basis. I'm guessing he'll make about $400-450k this year.
AgsNguyen
AG
Is anyone else reading up on this situation and thinking man this just doesn't make sense and isnt right? I sure am. Maybe it's a good system overall and there is the rare situation it breaks down.
tarhee200
AG
I think House ends up somewhere in the $300k-$450k range for this season

G league pay is $70k-ish and then the benefit of the two way contract is they get prorated NBA minimum for the number of days with the NBA roster up to the max

But you give up your right to be picked up by other NBA teams during the season
tarhee200
AG
More insight on the situation...

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/1/16/18185303/houston-rockets-to-sign-james-nunnally-to-10-day-contract-danuel-house

(Apologies if the link doesn't work correctly...don't post a lot of direct links on here)
wacarnolds
AG
AgsNguyen said:

Is anyone else reading up on this situation and thinking man this just doesn't make sense and isnt right? I sure am. Maybe it's a good system overall and there is the rare situation it breaks down.

Morey wants cheap players on long contracts to fill out a roster with bloated contracts

House wants to play for more than the absolute minimum for the next couple of years

Seems to make sense
wacarnolds
AG
tarhee200 said:

More insight on the situation...

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/1/16/18185303/houston-rockets-to-sign-james-nunnally-to-10-day-contract-danuel-house

(Apologies if the link doesn't work correctly...don't post a lot of direct links on here)

Link works. Thanks for sharing
AgsNguyen
AG
House is a starter and his salary is relatively peanuts in the grand scope of things. They system in place has led to a Mexican stand off to where one sides loses a player and the player goes to make less suiting up for a rfv team. If that makes perfect sense to you then we see thing differently.
wacarnolds
AG
AgsNguyen said:

House is a starter and his salary is relatively peanuts in the grand scope of things. They system in place has led to a Mexican stand off to where one sides loses a player and the player goes to make less suiting up for a rfv team. If that makes perfect sense to you then we see thing differently.

To me, the salary cap/roster rules, as best I can understand them, make sense and the free will of the font office and the player to choose their own destiny makes sense.

Houston is already over the luxury tax limit so any dollar they spend on other players gets a nice tax bill and essentially triples or quadruples the cost. Morey is offering the most absolute low-ball offer he can to retain House and House thinks he can make more.

Both parties are taking a gamble but fortunately there's a market that involves 29 other teams that will solve this dilemma.
DTP02
AG
As long as House stays healthy he's going to win that gamble.
JPAggie2010
AG
Although I hate to see this as an Aggie and a fan of the Rockets, I think Danuel is on the right side of the gamble. He has proven that he is an NBA starter - that alone is worthy of more than league minimum.

If nothing changes and the Rockets continue on their current trajectory, I see several teams will be willing to pay more for him in free agency because of what he accomplished in his stint. The other side is, if the Rockets go on a few game losing streak (which as a fan I do not want), it increases pressure to strike a better deal for Danuel.

I think he is doing what is right for him at this moment. Hard for us to know how this really plays out though.
wacarnolds
AG
JPAggie2010 said:

Although I hate to see this as an Aggie and a fan of the Rockets, I think Danuel is on the right side of the gamble. He has proven that he is an NBA starter - that alone is worthy of more than league minimum.
Agree, but he also doesn't need to be a proven starter to earn more than the minimum. There's plenty of money to go around for guys in the 6-10 rotation spots on the bench.
Dolemite
AG
I hope it works out for him, but 3 years guaranteed at 580k vs 77k prorated in the G league is a hard deal to pass on for a guy who cleared waivers this year. That said, I hope the rockets relent and give him his one year deal to finish off the season in the pros.
schmendeler
AG
the $4.5 million number looks right to me based on this link.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/nba-minimum-salaries-for-201819.html

Quote:

If a player spent any time on an NBA club's active regular season roster in a given season, he earned one year of experience. So any player with zero years of experience has not yet made his NBA debut.
this is his third season of experience.
TopoTacos
AG
Can't argue with the guy betting on himself over what he has shown the past couple weeks. He was arguably Houston's 3rd best player and the Rockets find themselves in cap hell with Paul's contract.

Hope House gets a shot either back on Hou next season or at least somewhere that will let him play to his strengths.
bigsoos
I guess no chance coming back after they signed Kenneth Faried
SunrayAg
AG
bigsoos said:

I guess no chance coming back after they signed Kenneth Faried
Faried is filling in for injured Capella.
bigsoos
He'll try, but he's really a PF
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.