Longer tenure: Sumlin or BK?

2,566 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Captain Pablo
Triple-T
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surely Sumlin Justified his being on payroll here more than BK.

So why is one gone and the other Still Remains?
expresswrittenconsent
Sumlin was here 6 yrs. Billy is in year 8. What was the question again?
75AG
AG
Triple-T said:

Huh?
greg.w.h
AG
The simplest answer is that we had higher priorities. The more honest answer is somewhere between virtue signaling and apathy.
APHIS AG
Just follow the money. Football wins = $, Basketball losses = "Oh well".
Chubster
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe BK has now been here longer than any men's basketball coach other than Shelby Metcalf.
_lefraud_
AG
Chubster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe BK has now been here longer than any men's basketball coach other than Shelby Metcalf.

Fortunately for Kennedy, his first three seasons were essentially swept under the rug thanks to the Sumlin/JFF hysteria that was happening in Aggieland.

Unfortunately, yes, he's been here almost a decade...sickening really.
GE
AG
The real answer in my opinion is two-fold.

1. For the first few years in the SEC the school was focused on football to the exclusion of basketball.
2. Starting after the '14-'15 season there wasn't really a good time to fire him.
expresswrittenconsent
No. It wasnt the schools lack of focus. It was 100% on Eric Hyman who did nothing as AD other than cash a paycheck. At the beginning of his tenure half the coaches here were on a hot seat and Hyman did nothing. He rubber stamped the Sumlin deal with the 30day buyout and he gave BK an inexcusable 2 yr extension after 3 years of 100+ RPI and 9th place finishes.
jeffdjohnson
expresswrittenconsent said:

No. It wasnt the schools lack of focus. It was 100% on Eric Hyman who did nothing as AD other than cash a paycheck. At the beginning of his tenure half the coaches here were on a hot seat and Hyman did nothing. He rubber stamped the Sumlin deal with the 30day buyout and he gave BK an inexcusable 2 yr extension after 3 years of 100+ RPI and 9th place finishes.

I forgot about that guy. What a worthless AD he was. Supposedly he was hired to help secure funds for rebuilding Kyle Field. Basically a professional hand-shaker at cocktail parties. What a joke. Pretty sure we could have installed a cymbal banging monkey as the AD and the funds for Kyle Field would have come in.
expresswrittenconsent
As a bonus to how he farcked MBB and hogtied FB he also pulled for TCU in the BB playoffs. What a time to be alive!
ebag02
AG
Triple-T said:

Fran would still be here if the people hiring coaches cared as little about football as they do basketball. Fran had a better conference winning % at A&M (19-21, 47.5%) than BK does (60 - 68, 46.9%). Sumlin had a winning record in conference and Sherman had a worse conference winning percentage than BK.
DukeMu
Pay Musselmen, Beard, or Buzz $3M

Just do it.
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

1. For the first few years in the SEC the school was focused on football to the exclusion of basketball.
2. Starting after the '14-'15 season there wasn't really a good time to fire him.
This is something I've thought more about recently, especially with UCLA making a change midyear. These coaches are getting paid CRAZY good money, especially compared to what coaches were making 20+ years ago. So I don't believe the "not a good time to fire him" when it comes to a guy getting paid MILLIONS to coach. You think Amazon or any other business/organization is going to just "wait and see" in regards to performance for a guy making this kind of money, or are they going to make a change immediately after subpar results?

I know some will say that it may hurt the hiring process next go around, but I don't buy into that one bit, especially in the case of Billy Kennedy. If A&M were to fire him TODAY, there's not one coach in America that would be scared or whatever about committing to become the next coach in line for A&M.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

This is something I've thought more about recently, especially with UCLA making a change midyear. These coaches are getting paid CRAZY good money, especially compared to what coaches were making 20+ years ago. So I don't believe the "not a good time to fire him" when it comes to a guy getting paid MILLIONS to coach. You think Amazon or any other business/organization is going to just "wait and see" in regards to performance for a guy making this kind of money, or are they going to make a change immediately after subpar results?

I know some will say that it may hurt the hiring process next go around, but I don't buy into that one bit, especially in the case of Billy Kennedy. If A&M were to fire him TODAY, there's not one coach in America that would be scared or whatever about committing to become the next coach in line for A&M.
After this season would be a good time to fire him. I don't think it's about public perception or scaring off coaches, just in the past there was always legitimate cause for hope.

Going into '15-'16 we had several highly talented upperclassmen returning and the best recruiting class in school history coming in. Going into the next season we were entering a rebuiding season with the seniors leaving but still had the prospect of that best recruiting class in school history being piggy backed on by Williams and Caldwell - both top 100 recruits.

After last season we had just made the second sweet 16 in three years and at least for a while expected to have a couple returning seniors on the roster.

Now - ??? It's time.
greg.w.h
AG
GE said:

_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

After this season would be a good time to fire him. I don't think it's about public perception or scaring off coaches, just in the past there was always legitimate cause for hope.

Going into '15-'16 we had several highly talented upperclassmen returning and the best recruiting class in school history coming in. Going into the next season we were entering a rebuiding season with the seniors leaving but still had the prospect of that best recruiting class in school history being piggy backed on by Williams and Caldwell - both top 100 recruits.

After last season we had just made the second sweet 16 in three years and at least for a while expected to have a couple returning seniors on the roster.

Now - ??? It's time.

No remorse nor regrets and there is no time like the present. Yeah: he got his chance already to show what he's got this year. Losing Gilder is awful but that happens. It's okay. Now it is MERELY a business decision.
AggieTFA06
AG
Sumlin's worst season was his last, but at least we went to a bowl game.

Kennedy has brought about numerous bad seasons except 2. Kennedy is used to losing here and is overpaid. In fact, I believe the longer Kennedy stays, the more he is stealing from us.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Class of 65
AG
Makes no difference who the coach is. The stands were empty when Billy Clyde was here so just rock on in BB!
old yeller
AG
EAD 65 said:

Makes no difference who the coach is. The stands were empty when Billy Clyde was here so just rock on in BB!

Clueless
SunrayAg
AG
DukeMu said:

Just do it.
Write the check...
Captain Pablo
AG
EAD 65 said:

Clueless

I drove from Houston to see a game in BCG's 2d year

Stood in the rain, and couldn't get a ticket, Was a sold out game. Not even from scalpers outside Reed

Could picture the scene though

So I went to the Chicken. Beer felt good in my hands, and I watched the game on TV

Didn't take long to understand what we had in BCG

100% True story
Captain Pablo
AG
SunrayAg said:

DukeMu said:

Just do it.
Write the check...
So keep BK?

secaggies6829
Basketball is just something to do between football and baseball anyway. I would just like a consistent program that's competitive and makes the tourney with the occasional run in March!!
GE
AG
secaggies6829 said:

Basketball is just something to do between football and basketball anyway.
fixed
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
It will be interesting to see how Scott Woodward handles the basketball program.
Captain Pablo
AG
Ag1865 said:

It will be interesting to see how Scott Woodward handles the basketball program.

And baseball
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.