Mahan

3,386 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Method Man
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be the best shooter since Carter.

50% or better from three in 7 of 10 games.

And only a Sophomore.

If BK (or successor) can recruit a couple more quality bigs, then this team can be really good the next two seasons
SouthwesternAg
S
Also showing a more rounded offensive game with some nice drives.
Hop
Staff
AG
I want to see him do it against a more athletic opponent and then I'll be on the Mahan wagon. But his recent surge is encouraging.
Aston04
AG
You were baggging on him pretty hard earlier in the year. To me it is clear Mahan can shoot from watching his tape and is now showing it at A&M.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(from 12/10) Aston04 said:
Mahan can shoot. We just don't have enough guys like him to compete for minutes. Chandler should be a role guy, but because of injuries/poor recruiting he is not.

If Mahan is the least bit hurried or contested, he's a poor shooter. A&M's designated 3-point sharpshooter has four air balls through seven games. A good shooter at this level is one that can make a fair share of shots when contested and at crunch time. Guys that can hit a wide open 3-ball with no pressure are a dime a dozen.

GE
AG
Who are you responding to?
Aston04
AG
hop
rwtxag83
AG
Aston04 said:

You were baggging on him pretty hard earlier in the year. To me it is clear Mahan can shoot from watching his tape and is now showing it at A&M.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mahan can shoot. We just don't have enough guys like him to compete for minutes. Chandler should be a role guy, but because of injuries/poor recruiting he is not.

If Mahan is the least bit hurried or contested, he's a poor shooter. A&M's designated 3-point sharpshooter has four air balls through seven games. A good shooter at this level is one that can make a fair share of shots when contested and at crunch time. Guys that can hit a wide open 3-ball with no pressure are a dime a dozen.

Well, to be fair, that was a couple of weeks ago, so he is trending up every game he's played.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Method Man
He's a good shooter
GE
AG
Method Man said:

He's a good shooter
14 for his last 25 (most recent 7 games).

That would be good for top percentage in the country if it were a full season stat
Hop
Staff
AG
Aston04 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know what I said earlier, and hopefully it was just a matter of getting comfortable and confident in what he is doing at this level...but he's gotten comfortable against generally weaker teams and teams that aren't that athletic. I just want to see it against the better teams where they will put more defensive pressure on him and force him into quicker and/or contested shots.

His recent success is encouraging and I'm hoping he'll continue to rise to the occasion as the competition gets better. However, I'm not ready to say he's proven commodity just yet until I see him perform under duress.
GE
AG
Hop that's a perfectly reasonable take considering he started the season 4 for 17 with a 2 for 10 game and a 1 for 6 game. I'm hoping he just needed to settle in and will keep doing what he has been doing the last seven games.

If it helps, he shot 50% or better against all the power 5 opponents
GE
AG
I looked back through a few great a&m shooters and can't find one that made 14 out of 25 consecutive threes at any point in their careers. Having trouble finding Carter's game log
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

I looked back through a few great a&m shooters and can't find one that made 14 out of 25 consecutive threes at any point in their careers. Having trouble finding Carter's game log

His first season here, House had a long stretch during SEC conference play where he shot a bunch of threes at about 50% hit rate, if my memory is correct.
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

GE said:

His first season here, House had a long stretch during SEC conference play where he shot a bunch of threes at about 50% hit rate, if my memory is correct.
He went 15 for 26 through three games towards the end of his first season, which is better than Mahans 14 for 25. House didn't have any long streaks of games over 50% because he would sprinkle in a random 4 for 13 or 1 for 7
Expert Analysis
AG
0-6 today. Only starter who didn't contribute.
Steeple
Definition of a streak shooter
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

Hogg started 15-25 last year
Hop
Staff
AG
Expert Analysis said:

And only one that was close. His stroke isn't very pure.
GE
AG
Hop said:

Expert Analysis said:

And only one that was close. His stroke isn't very pure.
I think he got thrown off mentally from the very beginning of the game when the guy posterized him then stared him down.
Method Man
ttt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.