Announcers during UM game- passion on the sideline...

2,102 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

"coach is up... is the leader.. Getting a workout on the sideline.."

I want that level of energy leading my team (not necessarily pitino jr.. per se... but that energy). Coach like your life depended on it. As a fan, it makes it more enjoyable to watch to see that passion and difference being made on the sideline (no I'm not asking for coach to be a clown)...

The passion may be burning inside BK, but he doesn't outwardly show it... And it hurts us time and again in tough situations. And now we don't have multi-borderline NBA talents on the court (or a coach on the bench with better resume/coaching ability) to cover up the head coaching deficiency each night.

It's going to be a long two years (my projection before anything is done, at best)... Be ready to hear the BK excuses each game for the next two seasons- injuries, players leaving, young, two sweet 16s, sec coach of the year, great new class coming in, great guy, etc etc etc... We've seen this before. .. Announcers will ignore the substance (bad fundamental basketball, which shouldn't stray no matter who you have) and keep repeating the excuses for Bk. Because in the end they don't really care if we win or not (and of course they shouldn't)....

RG20
A la Calapari...
_lefraud_
AG
Colorado football had a great season in 2016, and even had their coach named NATIONAL coach of the year. Two years later, that coach is looking for a job.
Aggie87
AG
You say this as if it's a revelation. BK has been this way from day 1.
Aston04
AG
^This is true. The last 8 years have been frustrating to watch... even with the 2 sweet 16 appearances mixed in. Makes it even worse this just keeps going on forever and our ads don't care.
SunrayAg
AG
Got it. So screaming and yelling a-lot in game is what makes a good basketball coach. Good thing we don't have a scrub like coach K from Duke...What a super dooper basketball genius you must be.

Surely a super dooper basketball genius such as yourself would also understand that Parkinsons causes severe physical limitations?
jeffdjohnson
Aston04 said:

^This is true. The last 8 years have been frustrating to watch... even with the 2 sweet 16 appearances mixed in. Makes it even worse this just keeps going on forever and our ads don't care.

The most surprising statistic from the Kennedy era has to be the 2 sweet 16 appearances. We make the tournament 2 times in his 8 years here and they both went into the 2nd weekend. While Gillispie/Turgeon go 6 straight years and only get 1 sweet 16 appearance out of it. It says far more about the randomness of March Madness than it does about Kennedy as a coach. Still, it is an undeniable accomplishment.

I enjoyed each of those 6 Gillispie/Turgeon teams as they were always in the mix fighting for a spot in the field. On the other hand, I have enjoyed about 1.5 out of Kennedy's 8 seasons as head coach (I enjoyed the first half of last year). Ultimately following A&M Basketball should be entertaining. I'm not entertained.
Aston04
AG
Quote:

Got it. So screaming and yelling a-lot in game is what makes a good basketball coach. Good thing we don't have a scrub like coach K from Duke...What a super dooper basketball genius you must be.

Surely a super dooper basketball genius such as yourself would also understand that Parkinsons causes severe physical limitations?

Your post is wrong on so many levels.

A. I clearly said I don't need "a clown on the sidelines." That is not my expectation... Somewhere between that and bare minimum activity on the sideline would be extremely helpful to us winning. Of course you pretend I didn't acknowledge that in your strawman argument.

B. Coach K is a billion times more active on the sideline than BK. Are you seriously comparing the two? If so, you are the basketball idiot (which you implied I am), not me.

C. I am well aware of the impact of Parkinson's and in fact my dad appears to possibly be in early stages of it. He is also well retired from his job... If the disease impacts your ability to do a job, that's not an excuse to continue doing it.

PS: I wasn't going there--- BK has been the same way since day 1. Just as inactive as a d1 basketball coach can possibly be. Way to be that guy and take it there (ironically) in your defense of bk.
Hickory High
AG
SunrayAg said:

Coach K is a totally animated screamer, are you serious???

In fact, let's play a game. You name a great coach that is as dopey on the sidelines as BK, I'll name a great coach that is animated on the sidelines, and we'll see whose list is longer. I'll even start with 10:

Coach K
Calipari
Roy Williams
Mark Few
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Buzz Williams
Bob Huggins
Lon Kruger
Bill Self

Hell, just google the names of head coaches and look at the first images that come up. Almost every coach has a shot of them screaming or being hyperactive in a game. Now google BK.......yep.
greg.w.h
AG
Nah...I'd rather there was more stark, visible evidence of great game and play prep. Pun not intended...
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Colorado football had a great season in 2016, and even had their coach named NATIONAL coach of the year. Two years later, that coach is looking for a job.
Yep. Wins and losses are what matter. I think D'Antoni and Avery were coach of the year in back to back years in the late 2000s and both of them were fired within two years.
Deputy Travis Junior
His demeanor is non traditional for a coach, but his big problems are his inability to implement an offense (without Stansbury anyway), his apparent lack of exposure to any sabremetrics, and the fact that he lets his players make the same mistakes over and over and over without correction.

That's why he's a bad coach.
Blue Duck
AG
It should be an automatic ban to bring up the real Coach K as a reference to our generic form of Coach K. The comparison begins and ends with the first letter of their last name... that's the only similarity.

Billy Kennedy is on his very best day... a slightly below average NCAA coach. You could put the name of every college basketball coach in the country in a jar and draw one out and get the same or better results over half the time. We're the crazy ones for thinking this year would be anything but what it's shaping up to be. He is what he's always been.
DukeMu
Aston04 said:

Quote:

Your post is wrong on so many levels.

A. I clearly said I don't need "a clown on the sidelines." That is not my expectation... Somewhere between that and bare minimum activity on the sideline would be extremely helpful to us winning. Of course you pretend I didn't acknowledge that in your strawman argument.

B. Coach K is a billion times more active on the sideline than BK. Are you seriously comparing the two? If so, you are the basketball idiot (which you implied I am), not me.

C. I am well aware of the impact of Parkinson's and in fact my dad appears to possibly be in early stages of it. He is also well retired from his job... If the disease impacts your ability to do a job, that's not an excuse to continue doing it.

PS: I wasn't going there--- BK has been the same way since day 1. Just as inactive as a d1 basketball coach can possibly be. Way to be that guy and take it there (ironically) in your defense of bk.

The locker room walls at Cameron has hundreds of coats of paint from halftime tongue lashings.

K gives refs the business nearly every game.
Aston04
AG
Another game it was obvious our almost mute coach places us at a huge disadvantage v. a coach running up and down the sideline working his butt off. Those who dismiss the importance of this are foolish. Just like the last 3 ADs who have observed our virtual non-coach in basketball and approved it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.