if Nevada HC had not taken off his shirt, prolly be our HC

4,418 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Artimus Gordon said:

Eddie Sutton who had gotten in some trouble and was let go at Kentucky wanted the A&M job pretty bad.

Of course we turned our nose up at him and went on a nationwide search and came up with juco coach Kermit "the frog" Davis. Who promptly got us on probation for an assortment of illegal activities. And guess who was on that staff, none other that billy Kennedy.

So when Byrne can't keep gillispie and turgeon from running off. He went looking for another coach that "gets" A&M. And lo and behold look what the cat drug in. None other than Billy Kennedy from the staff that nearly got us the death penalty.
"Gotten in some trouble" is really glossing over what happened with Sutton at Kentucky.

I do love a good alternate reality conversation though.
In the "no publicity is bad publicity" column they did get one of the greatest appearances on the cover of SI for a college basketball program out of it...
mhayden
Elite coaches don't want to stay assistants - that's why Stansbury is no longer here.
Aston04
AG
Edited-no need to negativly speculate.
mhayden
I wouldn't say that BK reneged on any kind of deal, but I think most assumed when Stansbury was hired that he wasn't coming here to be assistant coach for long. Either he was promised to takeover if/when BK's health got too bad in a few seasons (which didn't happen) or his plan was always to use his performance as assistant to get a foot back into the head coaching openings.

As much as I dislike him as a coach (and honestly couldn't care less about what kind of man he is), I've got no reason to believe he's some underhanded guy that goes back on his word and premeditates actions that will absolve him of responsibility when season's go bad.

He's not a good basketball coach, but I can't blame him for agreeing to the stupid contract that we gave him. His performance deserves my frustration, but he's not to blame for being stuck with his performance.
Aston04
AG
That's fair enough... Just sure appeared like a planned transition type thing when it happened.... Things went well after... Perhaps too well..
claym711
AG
Sweet 16 is meaningless. That as a barometer for program success is shortsighted. No star player is signing here because we beat 2 good teams in March. The program gains nothing whatsoever. No one cares, as you can see by the empty arena.

Is Billy Kennedy going to compete for championships? No. Is Billy Kennedy developing kids and putting them into the league? No. Literally everyone knows these things, and it's why no one is going to the games and no one wants to sign here.
_lefraud_
AG
I see Billy Kennedy as the same as I do Jason Garrett. Is there any other NFL franchise that would want Garrett to be their head coach? Is there any other school that would want Kennedy to be their head coach? So why is he still the head coach at A&M?!?

Attendance will be MISERABLE this season, so hopefully that will open Woodwards eyes, and he will force Kennedy to "resign" at season's end.
bobinator
AG

I just don't think this is based in any kind of reality, and when you say wild stuff like this, it undercuts the legitimate complaints about Kennedy. The Sweet 16 isn't meaningless. If you think it is, then I have no idea why you would even bother to follow Aggie Basketball. It's as far as we've gotten in the history of the program.

Quote:

Is Billy Kennedy going to compete for championships?

Kennedy won our only conference championship in 30 years. We can debate the value of winning the SEC in 2016, but he did it.

Quote:

Is Billy Kennedy developing kids and putting them into the league?

This is complicated, because you could make a decent case that yeah, he is, especially compared to our history as a program. We've only had 15 players in the history of the program appear in NBA games (according to RealGM) and a full third of them played at least one season for Kennedy.

Now, if you got into the weeds and explained how the G-league and two-way deals work that maybe some of the guys that have played in the last few years never would have gotten into games in the old model, but the simple fact is that we have five guys that played for Kennedy that are currently on NBA rosters or two-way deals that have already appeared in NBA games, and two more (Davis and Hogg) that could play in a game this season.

Quote:

Literally everyone knows these things, and it's why no one is going to the games and no one wants to sign here.
We signed four nationally ranked players this week, and our class is currently ranked in the top 20.
expresswrittenconsent
How would musselman be our coach now if he hadn't taken off his shirt last year after an ncaat game? What scenario would have us with an opening last year? Was that ever explained?
DukeMu
If BK is fired (he won't be) I swear I'll take off my shirt and run in the streets.

Wicked Good Ag
While everyone looks at Kennedy in all the years he has been here how long has the new AD been here and during that time for his evaluation what has Kennedy done ??

Not a pro vs com Kennedy thing but a new AD looks at the program thing.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think this is a bigger factor than anything.

Woodward did give him that ridiculous new contract though.
expresswrittenconsent
Wicked Good Ag said:

While everyone looks at Kennedy in all the years he has been here how long has the new AD been here and during that time for his evaluation what has Kennedy done ??

Not a pro vs com Kennedy thing but a new AD looks at the program thing.

"The new AD" is the one who gave BK one of the worst contracts in the history of TAMU. He was brand new and may have just rubber stamped the deal but he has to own some blame.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.