if Nevada HC had not taken off his shirt, prolly be our HC

4,444 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
Jbob88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I genuinely think Nevada's Head Coach would be our Coach if he hadn't taken off his shirt in the locker room after winning a remarkable game in the NCAA Tournament last year. It's wild that he's still Coach at Nevada with his abilities. I see they're ranked #6 right now. That guy's specialty is offense and he's going to be some team's big fish caught here pretty soon! We should already have him signed like Jimbo.
Jbob88
Just came off as unprofessional. Could feel it.
Jbob88
We (Texas A&M) are still struggling at Offense.
bankshot11
AG
Is the Nevada HC in church every Sunday morning? Because that's the only reason our coach is still here
TXAggie2011
AG
No
R E L
AG
Jbob88 said:

Or...we have no idea what passion and enthusiasm from an HC looks like because we haven't seen it here in years.
TopoTacos
AG
This is the dumbest theory I've read in a while.

If Musselman was ever in the running to take over this team and passed on due to something like that it would mean that our AD is even less interested in basketball then they have shown for 7 years.

As it stands, Kennedy will probably be coaching this team until his health forces him to step down, regardless of the product on the court.
AgsNguyen
AG
We pick the Murray State coach before BK or after BK and we would be golden. Just typical aggie luck that we picked the stiff of all stiffs.
Artimus Gordon
Heck when Shelby finally got retired. He had been retired on the job for several years but they finally stopped paying him. Eddie Sutton who had gotten in some trouble and was let go at Kentucky wanted the A&M job pretty bad.

Of course we turned our nose up at him and went on a nationwide search and came up with juco coach Kermit "the frog" Davis. Who promptly got us on probation for an assortment of illegal activities. And guess who was on that staff, none other that billy Kennedy.

So when Byrne can't keep gillispie and turgeon from running off. He went looking for another coach that "gets" A&M. And lo and behold look what the cat drug in. None other than Billy Kennedy from the staff that nearly got us the death penalty. And now we are saddled with a coach that can't coach a lick and is reduced to scouring the transfer lists to find enough warm bodies to field a team.

Yeah billy gets A&M alright. He gets that it is a retirement community for coaches that say the right things, get to know the right people and win just enough to keep his head above water.

If you haven't figured it out The stupid runs deep in the athletic dept and has for years. It is not just a recent thing.

So don't get mad at starks. What you saw at the end of the game was billy ball in all its horrendous glory. I don't even get mad anymore. It's to be expected. Did we call a timeout to setup a play or two? Not that I remember. We just threw hully gully basketball on the wall to see if anything stuck. It didn't of course.

Did anyone notice that it was starks against the gophers on each possession. Nobody else moved. We threw the ball around the perimeter and when the shot clock ran dow starks either threw up a shot or tried to make a move inside. It is just SOP for billy ball and has been since he has been here. So no need to get upset about. Nothing has changed much less improved. BK is just going to chew gum and stare into space on the sideline! It's just the way it is!
jt16
AG
Buzz should already be here
bobinator
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Eddie Sutton who had gotten in some trouble and was let go at Kentucky wanted the A&M job pretty bad.

Of course we turned our nose up at him and went on a nationwide search and came up with juco coach Kermit "the frog" Davis. Who promptly got us on probation for an assortment of illegal activities. And guess who was on that staff, none other that billy Kennedy.

So when Byrne can't keep gillispie and turgeon from running off. He went looking for another coach that "gets" A&M. And lo and behold look what the cat drug in. None other than Billy Kennedy from the staff that nearly got us the death penalty.
"Gotten in some trouble" is really glossing over what happened with Sutton at Kentucky.

I do love a good alternate reality conversation though.
EMIN was WOW!
I cannot see BK winning 10 games this year and maybe not even 8 but he is bulletproof because of his illness.

It is a shame.
bobinator
AG
Rosy Finch Boy said:

I cannot see BK winning 10 games this year and maybe not even 8 but he is bulletproof because of his illness.

It is a shame.
I think these posts are out of line and frankly wish staff would start deleting this kind of trash.

We can have a perfectly reasonable conversation about Kennedy's time at A&M without this garbage.
Method Man
you Sure it wasn't a factor for first theee years?
Artimus Gordon
Sutton was hired by OSU in 1990. The situation in Kentucky didn't seem to bother them.

Pretty good 16 year run for Sutton and the Cowboys. We should have been so lucky.

Instead we had Kermit, Tony Barone, and Melvin.

Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big Eight Conference) (19901996)

199091 Oklahoma State 248 94 T1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
199192 Oklahoma State 288 86 2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
199293 Oklahoma State 209 86 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
199394 Oklahoma State 2410 104 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
199495 Oklahoma State 2710 104 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
199596 Oklahoma State 1710 77 4th

Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big 12 Conference) (19962006)

199697*** Oklahoma State 1913 79 6th NIT Second Round
199798 Oklahoma State 227 115 T2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
199899 Oklahoma State 2311 106 5th NCAA Division I Round of 32
199900 Oklahoma State 277 124 T3rd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
200001 Oklahoma State 2010 106 5th NCAA Division I Round of 64
200102 Oklahoma State 239 106 T3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
200203 Oklahoma State 2210 106 4th NCAA Division I Round of 32
200304 Oklahoma State 314 142 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
200405 Oklahoma State 267 115 3rd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
200506 Oklahoma State 1716 610 7th NIT First Round

Oklahoma State: 368151 (.709) 15390 (.630)
bobinator
AG
Sutton also played at Oklahoma State, which is always kind of a wildcard factor.
jeffdjohnson
I feel very bad for Billy Kennedy and I'm glad A&M gave him a fair shot despite his illness. A more Machiavellian, blue blood program would have likely "force retired" Kennedy after year 1. Having said that, I don't believe that his illness has anything to do with why he is still here in year 8. Mostly because it doesn't appear that anyone within the athletic department is in charge of or gives a **** about the basketball program.
AggieEyes
AG
I'm not saying fire him I'm just saying reassign him to an 80k admin job.

He's been incompetent from day 1, he needs top notch players and assistants to make anything happen. Let's find a coach we can build a sustainable program around. He's got plenty to retire on now and we don't need to destroy our program further.

Billy has been checked out for a while and the assistants have been running the show during practice and the games anyways especially since that dynamic changed when Stansbury showed up. I know for a fact that BK wanted Stansbury to leave because of his personal insecurities.

We aren't going to be able build anything with BK. He's a waste of time and money and nobody wants to watch the product on the floor.
Artimus Gordon
Meanwhile 14 years of misery until BCG arrived on the scene.

2005-06 22- 9 10-6 4th NCAA Second Round Billy Gillispie
2004-05 21-10 8-8 7th NIT Quarterfinals Billy Gillispie

2003-04 7-21 0-16 12th Melvin Watkins Results Roster
2002-03 14-14 6-10 T-7th Melvin Watkins
2001-02 9-22 3-13 T-10th Melvin Watkins
2000-01 10-20 3-13 T-11th Melvin Watkins
1999-00 8-20 4-12 T-8th Melvin Watkins
1998-99 12-15 5-11 T-10th Melvin Watkins

1997-98 7-20 1-15 12th Tony Barone
1996-97 9-18 3-13 T-10th Tony Barone
1995-96 11-16 3-11 T-7th Tony Barone
1994-95 14-16 7-7 5th Tony Barone
1993-94 19-11 10-4 T-2nd NIT Tony Barone
1992-93 10-17 5-9 6th Tony Barone
1991-92 6-22 2-12 8th Tony Barone

1990-91 8-21 2-14 9th Kermit Davis, Jr.
Artimus Gordon
2017-18 22-13 9-9 T-7th NCAA Sweet Sixteen Billy Kennedy
2016-17 16-15 8-10 T-9th Billy Kennedy
2015-16 28-9 13- 5 T-1st SEC CO-CHAMPIONS NCAA Sweet Sixteen Billy Kennedy
2014-15 21-12 11-7 T-3rd NIT Second Round Billy Kennedy
2013-14 18-16 8-10 9th CBI Quarterfinals Billy Kennedy
2012-13 18-15 7-11 11th Billy Kennedy
2011-12 14-18 4-14 9th Billy Kennedy

Billy's conference record is 60-66 .480%, 77-32 .710% against non-conference competition. His overall record is 137-98. .580%
BurnetAggie99
He also had some past drinking issues such as alcohol abuse and a DUI which lead to his firing at Sacramento. I think he's done great things through out his career especially at Nevada but he has some baggage for sure and would have to be heavily vetted.
Aston04
AG
Quote:

1990-91 8-21 2-14 9th Kermit Davis, Jr.
What's sad... Pull up the original press conference when athletic director BB hired BK. Bill even mentioned BK's previous stop that one year at A&M as a positive factor for BK.... Complete and utter failure that season.. And yet spun as a positive factor.

Quote:

.580 overall record

I believe BK's career record (including other schools) isn't far from that either. Played the coaching tree game masterfully.

Lastly: I'd say the premise of this thread is false. The only years BK was in some jeopardy in my opinion was after years 3 and 4 (and more so 4).... Following year 4, he just so happened to have the best class to ever sign at A&M lined up... He also promised a NCAA birth the following year... Enough to save him...
EMIN was WOW!
bobinator said:

Rosy Finch Boy said:

It is a shame.
I think these posts are out of line and frankly wish staff would start deleting this kind of trash.

We can have a perfectly reasonable conversation about Kennedy's time at A&M without this garbage.
How is it out of line? BK would have been fired no later than year four if it wasn't for the Parkinson's. We all know that. It isn't garbage it is the truth.

The AD (and the BK sympathetic boosters) are never going to fire BK no matter how poorly he performs. He will retire when he sees fit. He could pull a Melvin and be fine.

bobinator
AG
Rosy Finch Boy said:

How is it out of line? BK would have been fired no later than year four if it wasn't for the Parkinson's. We all know that. It isn't garbage it is the truth.

The AD (and the BK sympathetic boosters) are never going to fire BK no matter how poorly he performs. He will retire when he sees fit. He could pull a Melvin and be fine.
If he pulled a Melvin, I have absolutely no doubt that he would be fired.

The simple truth is, no matter what the likes of us (being optimistic let's say 50 of us that are really hardcore hoops fans and think that this program is capable of being a really good program) think, is that we have made the sweet sixteen two of the last three years, and that's all that most people care about.

I will agree that maybe it played a factor early on. And sure, we can all agree all we want that he should have been fired in year one, or two, or three or four, pick your favorite year. And maybe if we'd have had a real AD he would have even with his condition, but it doesn't matter now.

He's been good enough the last three years that expecting him to get fired at A&M is just completely unreasonable. Never going to happen. Doesn't matter if he has Parkinson's or not.

He hasn't been fired because he's met the expectations that most people, especially the ones that matter, have for our basketball program.

It's really that simple. So he's not 'bulletproof because of his illness,' which is why I think that's out of line, he's 'bulletproof' because most people on the street think he's doing a pretty good job.
EMIN was WOW!

Quote:

He hasn't been fired because he's met the expectations that most people, especially the ones that matter, have for our basketball program.

It's really that simple. So he's not 'bulletproof because of his illness,' which is why I think that's out of line, he's 'bulletproof' because most people on the street think he's doing a pretty good job.

So than why wasn't he fired when he sucked terribly the first three years and tanked the program compared to where it was? Was he meeting expectations then? It is because of the illness. He is bulletproof because of the illness. It isn't out of line, it is the simple truth.

He could have made the sweet sixteen of the CBI the last two of three years and still be here. He is simply going to be here until he doesn't want to be here, no matter the results. That is because our AD and boosters do not want the image of firing a many with an incurable disease. The die has been cast since he was diagnosed and we did not get him into an AD position.

DukeMu
R E L said:

Jbob88 said:

Or...we have no idea what passion and enthusiasm from an HC looks like because we haven't seen it here in years.
THIS

bobinator
AG
I honestly think he wasn't fired in his first few years because short of a scandal I don't think Hyman was going to fire anyone for anything. And since Woodward has been here, he's been good enough.

I really think it's that easy, which is why I think the illness stuff is trash. If we'd have had a real AD early in the BK era, I don't think he'd have made it this far, but he did, and now he hasn't been fired because his results meet most people's expectations.

If you honestly think we could go 0-fer and league play and he'd still be here, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think he's bulletproof at all if we were really bad enough, but we haven't been.
EMIN was WOW!
Why is the illness stuff trash? He has an incurable disease and has no career as a MBB coach after A&M. Do you think that doesn't protect him? No one wants that PR.

We are going to have our worst year since Melvin was here and he will be around for 2019-20.
expresswrittenconsent
Bob - I would agree 0-18 would do it, I guess the question is would 7-11?
I sort of think 5-13 or worse is a certain firing, and 8-10 or better is almost certain to return, but I dont feel really confident as to what would happen at 7-11.
bobinator
AG
This year... I don't think so. But again we're coming off of a pretty good year (by most folks' standards.)

It's easy to forget on here, but I deal with enough Aggies that aren't hardcore fans that I think I have some good perspective on this, that most people think last season was a good season overall. Most people don't live and die with every game and pay attention when we go on a streak of horrid games.

They know we had a lot of injuries and that we still ended up in the Sweet 16.

I think the biggest difference in what it's like on this board versus what it's like in the real world, is that a lot of Aggies think Billy Kennedy is doing a pretty good job. It would take a truly disastrous season to get enough people upset to actually turn that tide in just one year.

bobinator
AG
No, I 100% don't think his illness protects him, at all. And I think talk of his illness muddies up a conversation that should be about the product we put on the court, which is why I don't care for it.
Steeple
Based on what I've seen, Missouri, USC and UGA at home are potentially winnable. Maybe USC and Ole Miss on the road. Hard to see more than 5 SEC wins.
expresswrittenconsent
Steeple said:

Based on what I've seen, Missouri, USC and UGA at home are potentially winnable. Maybe USC and Ole Miss on the road. Hard to see more than 5 SEC wins.

I'm not even thinking about the actual games yet (but you're probably right), just trying to get a feel for where the O/U for wins needed to return is. I guess it would be 6.5 sec wins. But maybe he returns at 6-12. So maybe 5.5 wins is the safer O/U.
tom59
AG
Get John Sharp interested in basketball and see what happens!!
BurnetAggie99
If A&M is scared of the PR if they fire Kennedy then Kennedy needs to have a group elite assistant coaches similar to when he had Stansbury and Keller. They recruited at a high level and where guys that could work with the guys in practice and good bench coaches.

Guys that A&M can throw money at and try and build up staff.

Rob Lanier who is at Tennessee with Rick Barnes. He's the type of elite recruiter you need on staff. Lanier has helped recruit eight McDonald's All-Americans. 11 players that Lanier either coached or signed have went on to become NBA Draft picks.

Tony Stubblefield at Oregon but was at Cincinnati and New Mexico State. Two decades plus of collegiate men's basketball coaching experience includes the last seven seasons with the Ducks. He was a big part of getting Oregon to the Final Four last season, and his recruiting success was a big part of what made him appealing to the Ducks.

Oregon hired Stubblefield away from Cincinnati, who had lured him away from New Mexico State. During his years with New Mexico State, he was the Aggies' recruiting coordinator. He signed three recruits ranked in the top 100 of prospects across the nation in that time. That included one McDonald's All-American.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.