Minutes distribution

3,858 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do these minutes make sense to anyone?

Frequent and seemingly pointless subs.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Did I miss where you posted the minutes distribution?
czar_iv
AG
No, but it is consistent. BK doesn't seem to have a clue of his talent. I think he falls in love with players from practice and kinda ignores their game play. Or at least doesn't heavily weight their game play enough for me. During a pre-season media interview, BK said John Walker wasn't going to play this season. He just assumed specific players were going to play well in the games without evaluation.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
greg.w.h
AG
Yeah...you're using your Beautiful Mind to find patterns that don't exist...
Method Man
Junkhead said:

Mek 24
Flagg 35
Mahan 31
Chandler 19
Starks 26

Walker 18
Jasey 11
Nebo 16
Collins 14
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well obviously the 14 minutes for Collins is an issue but there's not much else we can do with the roster right now. And before anyone jumps all over that comment let me add that the roster issues fall squarely on BK's shoulders.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

Junkhead said:

Mek 24
Flagg 35
Mahan 31
Chandler 19
Starks 26

Walker 18
Jasey 11
Nebo 16
Collins 14

I still think BK has no meaningful choices here. Which big deserves the floor against Zag? If you said "no one" then you agree with the starting lineup since Flagg is really at absolute best a stretch 4.

The separate topic of whether he can make lemonade with what he's got is interesting but no one on the bench has earned more minutes than that except Nebo and that was against less long and less athletic competition.

Zag didn't out-coach us per se...they out-personneled us. Plus they had a bit more experience than we do.
Method Man
Starks can only play 26? Chandler only 19? Why is our best post player only playing 24? No foul trouble.
greg.w.h
AG
greg.w.h said:

Method Man said:

Junkhead said:

Mek 24
Flagg 35
Mahan 31
Chandler 19
Starks 26

Walker 18
Jasey 11
Nebo 16
Collins 14

I still think BK has no meaningful choices here. Which big deserves the floor against Zag? If you said "no one" then you agree with the starting lineup since Flagg is really at absolute best a stretch 4.

The separate topic of whether he can make lemonade with what he's got is interesting but no one on the bench has earned more minutes than that except Nebo and that was against less long and less athletic competition.

Zag didn't out-coach us per se...they out-personneled us. Plus they had a bit more experience than we do.

Btw: not dissing Mek. He's just such a recent addition I don't know much about him but he does bring experience.
Method Man
Mek played pretty well.
Yes. BK got outcoached. Really?
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

Mek played pretty well.

So you believe we had the talent to win?
DukeMu
Method Man said:

Junkhead said:

Mek 24
Flagg 35
Mahan 31
Chandler 19
Starks 26

Walker 18
Jasey 11
Nebo 16
Collins 14

Collins should be 0 and Mahan less. Maybe when Mitchell is back. Gilder's future is uncertain.

Besides for that - I'm OK with the distribution.
DukeMu
Method Man said:

Mek played pretty well.

Really inconsistent.

A good post drive and bucket or rebound...followed by a stupid pass, dribbling into a Turn Over, etc.
Aggie1205
AG
Method Man said:

Starks can only play 26? Chandler only 19? Why is our best post player only playing 24? No foul trouble.

Starks was held out once the game got out of hand, otherwise his minutes would have been higher. He did look winded at times. Chandler was in foul trouble..........
Method Man
greg.w.h said:

Method Man said:

Mek played pretty well.

Do you understand the chasm between winning and being down by thirty?
Method Man
Aggie1205 said:

Method Man said:

Starks was held out once the game got out of hand, otherwise his minutes would have been higher. He did look winded at times. Chandler was in foul trouble..........

He was out for a while when the game was in question IIRC. Playing Collins for Chandler because of Foul trouble is stupid.
Method Man
DukeMu said:

Method Man said:

Mek played pretty well.

Really inconsistent.

A good post drive and bucket or rebound...followed by a stupid pass, dribbling into a Turn Over, etc.

So like basically every BK player ever?
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Mahan at 31 minutes is...

Method Man
If Starks isn't in good shape and we have poor chemistry seems like you'd play the guys you want playing to the eenp
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
only guy i'm excited about on this roster is Flagg.

Wicked Good Ag
Collins for some reason is a player who Kennedy believes in for minutes. He didn't do anything wrong in the first two games but nothing right either. He is a step slow on defense and hides in corner if not a part of the ball handling on offense. He would be a great option occasionally to sub in before a media timeout to give a longer break to a starter.

I like the roster in terms of pieces. The problem I see is stagnant on offense. We do a weave seemingly to waste time rather than run a playset or gain info on switching matchups fro our opponent.
Method Man
He was abused and he's a nonfactor on offense. I'm not sure he should get more than eight minutes a game.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

greg.w.h said:

Method Man said:

Mek played pretty well.

Do you understand the chasm between winning and being down by thirty?

I do. So what would have been a moral victory with the team on the floor: deny them covering the spread? Given what you saw with your own eyes was that accomplishable via better coaching alone?

My thought was we put up a good game to just before the half but were out of energy. Could have been the late start. Could have been Thursday. Take out Starks as you've proposed and Collins. Now what do you do to achieve moral victory??

I think it's a very young team and maybe by conference they'll have progressed enough to overcome the size and athleticism with better D and ball control. We got exposed. It was not just the coaching.
Wicked Good Ag
That game was lost during the momentum 10. The last five minutes of the first half and the first five minutes of the second half. We played tentative and decided to leave them open for shots and they hit them. I am not saying we win the game against the number 3 team in the country but those ten minutes we played awful
expresswrittenconsent
You just suggested as a reason for the horrid performance "we were out of energy because it was Thursday" right after telling us how BK didnt get outcoached.
Isaih Smollett
I'm not sure any of this even matters this year
Method Man
Y'all are arguing that it doesn't matter or we would have lost anyways? Is that a good point? Not every opponent is Gonzaga. We should be 2-1 so far.
greg.w.h
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

You just suggested as a reason for the horrid performance "we were out of energy because it was Thursday" right after telling us how BK didnt get outcoached.

Tell me how the coach solves for the time zone issue? We are not in conference yet and the Thursday/Saturday isn't the pattern and I suspect there are academic expectations for travel. I'm all ears. If it a coaching problem feel free to explain it.
expresswrittenconsent
Wait so you really think the team isnt prepared to play on Thursday? And you're claiming the time zone was an issue? The boys were playing at 830 local time. Our previous two games started at 8 local time. The time zone affected fans watching in Texas, not the players in Washington. Christ, we played in freakin Germany at midnight local time last year and won by 30.
greg.w.h
AG
They were playing at 10:30 local time compared to where they live. Have no clue how long they were up there. Just answer the question: if the school's academic rules constrain what the coaches can do, what does the coach do to "coach around that"? I'm sure it could be appealed, for instance, and probably wasn't a problem. But we also know BK had to solve a problem with APR, too.

You're confused if you think I'm defending BK. I couldn't care less. But my primary claim is we couldn't win that game with this team unless we caught them in a bad streak night. We don't have the talent. And coaching doesn't fix that.

Coaching COULD cure some of the point differential. But then, again, what is the moral victory line by which you claim the coaching was good enough? Put it out there in writing.

P.S.: Neither you nor Method will put it out there in writing specifically because you'd be challenged to prove your subjective thought has absolutely any basis in fact. You can't. Your only true basis for BK being a terrible coach is also essentially subjective. As is mine. I'll own that I'm using subjective judgment if you'll own that it's merely and only an opinion. That you repeat a lot.
Isaih Smollett
If Caruso, house, and jones as juniors is an nit team, what is this?
expresswrittenconsent
There was never an APR problem either. But again, you think the team wasn't prepared to play because the game was played on a Thursday. That is a real, actual thing you said. So, in terms of things the coaching staff could have done for this game that were within the time limits allowed by the NCAA, they could have made the team comfortable with the idea of competing on the 4th day of the work week, aka the 5th day of the calendar week. While they are at it, they should prepare a game plan for sat, mon, tue, wed, fri. god will provide for us if we have a game on sunday so no need to prep there.
Double Diamond
Oh yes the APR problem. The problem created to keep Kennedy safe.
bobinator
AG
I mean there was a problem, though ultimately it didn't matter. It's not like it was just made up.
Deputy Travis Junior
greg.w.h said:

Your only true basis for BK being a terrible coach is also essentially subjective. As is mine. I'll own that I'm using subjective judgment if you'll own that it's merely and only an opinion. That you repeat a lot.

He's objectively a pretty bad offensive coach. Tons of hard stats support that claim.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.