More of the same...

3,879 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Buford T. Justice
Post removed:
by user
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think a mid-season change accomplishes anything. That being said, it was obvious after year 3 that Kennedy was a downgrade from the Turgeon/Gillispie era. Yet somehow here we are in year 8 with no end in sight.
Aggiebballfanatic
Thoughts from last night/so far this year:

Starks has 3-4 just careless turnovers a game that leads to great opportunity for other team on other end, he is the quickest guy we have by a mile and would be on 99% of teams. Just needs to play under control and not get super down on himself and compound 1 bad turnover into multiple.

Chandler can't drive to the hole under control but I like his passion/hustle. Wish we could get him some more open looks from outside and see what he can do.

Collins had a rough night...not good when pressured. Doing the best he can do given his athletic ability though. Shame we are out a few guards and he is forced to get tons of minutes. I felt like Starks could have played more of the game last night but either the coaches were just so down on him or he didn't want to come in more. If he was truly that tired to play....major conditioning issue.

Mekowulu is solid - much better than i thought he would be. Big body that rebounds well, plays good D, and moves his feet.

Nebo still a project and had a rough game, but still better than i thought

No real offense outside of our standard stuff - screen around the perimeter then try to roll and drive/kick. No good set plays at all.

Flagg is our best player right now and its not close. Great finishes on his drives to his left. Good shot selection. Rebounds well. Doesn't play out of control or put himself in bad situations like most of our players do. Higher basketball IQ than just about anyone.

Mahan bricked about 5-6 shots BAD....very rough start to the year. The way he plays the game, needs to be a really good shooter to be getting so many minutes.

Walker is better than I expected (watched him once in HS), but shouldn't be getting more than 5-7 minutes a game if we hope to be halfway good....same with Jacey.

czar_iv
AG
Quote:

Walker is better than I expected (watched him once in HS), but shouldn't be getting more than 5-7 minutes a game if we hope to be halfway good....same with Jacey.
People keep saying this, but I think we can win this year with Walker either starting or getting lot of minutes. I like Walker and don't understand why Mahan is playing.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Aggie1205
AG
Mahan is playing because we are really short on guards. He is better than Collins on defense at least. Starks and Chandler cant play 40 mins each.
wacarnolds
AG
Aggiebballfanatic said:

Flagg is our best player right now and its not close.
I agree, but it should be noted that we were down 20 points before Flagg made his 2nd FG of the game (5 mins into the 2H). If he's going to be our best player and a leader, he needs to play like it in these types of games.
Gap
AG

Quote:

If this spirals we need a change mid season to at least help recruiting.
This makes no sense, but carry on.
czar_iv
AG
nm
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
czar_iv
AG
Quote:

If this spirals we need a change mid season to at least help recruiting.
That's funny. BK will probably be at A&M longer than some of us will be alive.
GrayMatter
AG
wacarnolds said:

Aggiebballfanatic said:

I agree, but it should be noted that we were down 20 points before Flagg made his 2nd FG of the game (5 mins into the 2H). If he's going to be our best player and a leader, he needs to play like it in these types of games.
I'm gonna sell on that one. Starks is our best player. He is the only one who can consistently get to the bucket without needing a screen. He's a terrific one on one player and is a scorer. He makes bone headed moves but when we need a bucket, he's our guy. It was because of him that we tied the game in the first half. Notice how our ball movement stopped when he left the game. He needed a breather towards the end of the first half when the score was tied. While on the bench, their lead ballooned to double digits.

Flagg is showing what we can do. He's becoming the player we all thought he would be. However, he can't take his man off the dribble, yet. He needs to understand that he's the man and not pass up shots or take plays off. He's gotta be the play maker because no one has stepped up like Starks. He's better than Starks on the defensive end, but you really can't compare because they're playing two different positions.

Starks may have issues here and there, but he is fearless going to the hole and we really really need that kind of energy.
Aggiebballfanatic
Starks has the potential to be our best player by far (including when Admon comes back)....but his shot selection/turnovers are knocking him down quite a bit right now.

17 shots in 26 minutes for Starks - and this was a game with him hitting his shots on his drives (7 made fg's).

GrayMatter
AG
Aggiebballfanatic said:

Starks has the potential to be our best player by far (including when Admon comes back)....but his shot selection/turnovers are knocking him down quite a bit right now.

17 shots in 26 minutes for Starks - and this was a game with him hitting his shots on his drives (7 made fg's).

I'd rather have his shot selection than turning the ball over due to a shot clock violation. You can't have it both ways. We have zero ball movement when he's not on the floor.
wacarnolds
AG
GrayMatter said:

wacarnolds said:

Aggiebballfanatic said:

I'm gonna sell on that one. Starks is our best player.
Starks is one of the most inefficient basketball players on any college campus. I think he has the highest potential of anyone on the team, but until he learns how to be a team player, it's just factually inaccurate to say he's our best player.

And you correctly note how much our offense suffers when he's not out there making plays, but don't mistake a lack of good alternatives for quality of an individual player.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
It's a new team ! Climb off the tower !

Aggiebballfanatic
GrayMatter said:

Aggiebballfanatic said:

I'd rather have his shot selection than turning the ball over due to a shot clock violation. You can't have it both ways. We have zero ball movement when he's not on the floor.
I guess i'm saying replacing starks with a middle of the road SEC point guard. Not a walk-on.

Flagg is the most well rounded player we have right now and playing the best....that better?

Obviously Starks right now is the most important player we have due to injuries (would be even if not probably). He just needs to play smarter and more in control.
Steeple
This is looking like a replay of BK Year 2
greg.w.h
AG
I predict we won't make a change until the end of the 2019-2020 season and more likely he completes his contract.

Cheers!!!
TMF
AG
Might as well check out from Aggie basketball for a few years. Nobody with money cares about winning and will let him play out his contract.
Method Man
Aggie1205 said:

Mahan is playing because we are really short on guards. He is better than Collins on defense at least. Starks and Chandler cant play 40 mins each.

He played more than either. HTh
DukeMu
We're moving back to 2016-2017 and BK years 1-3.

It would take a miracle of player development to make this better, even with Mitchell.
DukeMu
greg.w.h said:

I predict we won't make a change until the end of the 2019-2020 season and more likely he completes his contract.

Cheers!!!

Pretty much resigned to that.
DukeMu
Aggiebballfanatic said:

GrayMatter said:

Aggiebballfanatic said:

I guess i'm saying replacing starks with a middle of the road SEC point guard. Not a walk-on.

Flagg is the most well rounded player we have right now and playing the best....that better?

Obviously Starks right now is the most important player we have due to injuries (would be even if not probably). He just needs to play smarter and more in control.

Flagg is a G-league potential player. There's no one else to sniff an NBA court. Without NBA talent-filled roster, BK doesn't win consistently.

It is what it is.
greg.w.h
AG
TMF said:

Might as well check out from Aggie basketball for a few years. Nobody with money cares about winning and will let him play out his contract.

The team represents us and I still enjoy watching. I am not suggesting pulling back from supporting will solve the problem. When Sharp becomes convinced we are missing out on revenue he might agitate for change. But he undoubtedly approved this deal and he's not that well known for admitting being wrong...
Aggie1205
AG
Method Man said:

Aggie1205 said:

He played more than either. HTh

Starks didn't play once the game got out of hand and Chandler had foul trouble and eventually fouled out. What were the first half mins?
Bunk Moreland
the team woefully under-performed last year but had a glorious win vs. UNC that bought a trip to the sweet 16.

That still doesn't make up for multiple months of frustration. It was a nice cherry on top of a very underwhelming season.

But the S16 trip meant notoriety to the layman and probably those that write checks so that's all it took to forget what was a crappy overall season that came nowhere close to meeting expectations.

And so we continue, hoping on some upcoming "great" recruiting class and struggling through other seasons because no semblance of an actual program has been established.
RG20
Administration is ok with being mediocre in Men's Basketball...truth.
TjgtAg08
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

the team woefully under-performed last year but had a glorious win vs. UNC that bought a trip to the sweet 16.

That still doesn't make up for multiple months of frustration. It was a nice cherry on top of a very underwhelming season.

But the S16 trip meant notoriety to the layman and probably those that write checks so that's all it took to forget what was a crappy overall season that came nowhere close to meeting expectations.

And so we continue, hoping on some upcoming "great" recruiting class and struggling through other seasons because no semblance of an actual program has been established.
If Wilson and Gilder don't go down in January, the last 2 months of last year are COMPLETELY different. That isn't an excuse for BKs body of work, but you can't ignore the devastating injuries we suffered last year right as conference play began. And before you say "everyone suffers injuries," that may be true, but not many teams would have 2 plug-and-play guards to replace a senior transfer who was having an EXCELLENT year and a 3-year starting guard who was a lock down defender and a steady hand.

I've said this on a few other threads, but it fees like this entire program just has some bad mojo/juju around it, and its exhausting to watch as a fan. We either are super healthy or get devastated by injuries. It goes back all the way to BKs first couple years (and, I guess, with BK himself) when Dash went down and then Middleton went down.

Record/performance aside, it feels like we should clean house from a coaching standpoint just to get some new blood and mojo into the program ... feels like BK and this program is snake bit right now, and we certainly don't have a guy that is going to "out-coach" or "out-scheme" an opponent.
SirDippinDots
jeffdjohnson said:

I don't think a mid-season change accomplishes anything. That being said, it was obvious after year 3 that Kennedy was a downgrade from the Turgeon/Gillispie era. Yet somehow here we are in year 8 with no end in sight.
rosstradamas70
AG
GrayMatter said:

Aggiebballfanatic said:

and not much when he is on the floor
it amazes me how often he seems to think that it is his job to dribble for 20+ seconds and then take a shot rather than drive and pass or anything that would get some action started
reminds me a lot of Chennady in the girls game
ross skillman 70
Baller On A Budget
As bad as it sounds, I don't think we played an abysmal game. When I say that, I mean I think the players executed on what they needed to for the most part. I think the gameplan was horrendous tho. Gonzaga has arguably the best front court in the country and for some reason, we decided to cut to the basket with our tiny guards. It's hard to expect more from a team that is set up to do so little.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

If Wilson and Gilder don't go down in January, the last 2 months of last year are COMPLETELY different. That isn't an excuse for BKs body of work, but you can't ignore the devastating injuries we suffered last year right as conference play began. And before you say "everyone suffers injuries," that may be true, but not many teams would have 2 plug-and-play guards to replace a senior transfer who was having an EXCELLENT year and a 3-year starting guard who was a lock down defender and a steady hand.

I think that's the larger point. BK has never been able to develop & keep a PG on campus that can help lead a program. When you have to rely on a senior transfer or juco guard every year and then pray they turn out to be serviceable (or adjust your play to cover up their weaknesses/talent/size deficiencies)...that's not building a program. When a guy or 2 goes down, you shouldn't go from a preseason conference favorite to 9th out of 14 teams.

There's next to no foundation with the program.
wacarnolds
AG
speaking of "More of the same..."

unskilled big men still seem to think they have the green light to shoot ill-advised 3s early in the shot clock. One can only assume that Kennedy's offseason and preseason practice instructions do not sufficiently address proper shot selection
Isaih Smollett
Wonder how starks would perform with a coach like Turge
sharpdressedman
TMF said:

That train left the station years ago.
Wicked Good Ag
machine20 said:

Wonder how starks would perform with a coach like Turge

How would TAMU perform with a coach like Turge or BCG if they wanted to stay??
Because eventually if you keep hiring coaches that use us for a stepping stones then we will have to get one that wants to stay. And that is what we got. Not near as good as other two but has gotten us to two sweet 16s. I don't think Kennedy will ever outcoach a top 15 team but if he recruits correctly we may have the pieces to have the players out play a top 15
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.