*****Aggies @ #3 Gonzaga*****

37,479 Views | 405 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CDub06
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One returning starter, bunch of promising new comers, and you are ready to jump off the cliff !
85AustinAg
AG
^Because a poorly coached team is difficult to watch.
Aston04
AG
SACR said:

I just want to know why we never have any depth. From what I recall, we only had depth one season, 2015-16, when the Davis-Hogg-Gilder class were freshmen.

Last year, we had an injury, oh, there's the excuse for losing a bunch of games.

This year, we're missing two starters,well, we can't expect to win.

How is it that every other team in the nation deals with injuries by putting in a backup and still continues to play good basketball and win, but we lose a guy, and that's it, 20 loss season incoming?

Why do the BK Apologists work overtime for him?

It's like the guy is complete Teflon, and nothing is ever his fault. If we lose a game, it's injuries or the students didn't show up, it's never because he did a shyte job preparing the team.

And the BKA think the regular students and fans are completely blind idiots, like your average fan doesn't recognize bad basketball when s/he sees it. We plays bad basketball under Kennedy, a lot of it, and it isn't entertaining, and it isn't fun, and it doesn't attract fans. Stop blaming the students for finding something better to do than watch an un-entertaining product that loses on the court.

Agree 100%.

And we don't expect our coach to act like a "clown" on the sideline. But it's been obvious from day 1 he's not engaged enough on the sideline. We are at a big disadvantage with him on the sideline. A consistent theme of his tenure has been too many turnovers (lack of discipline) and lack of sufficient plan on the offensive end. It's sad because he's a decent recruiter. But not a path to long-term success. The recruiting class from 4 years ago (which I'll highly doubt BK will ever get close to again) has covered a lot of inadequacies.... We are now reverting back to the norm before they got here.

What's sad is that amazing class could have produced significantly better results.. But the two sweet 16 appearances are going to give Bk cover to burn at least the next two seasons. It's as if the decision makers don't understand results should be judged with the bigger picture in mind... Bigger picture--- things look bleak until a change is made.
zooguy96
That's why everyone loved BCG. His teams didn't have as much talent, but damn they played hard and disciplined, which led to winning. Marlon Pompey, Kavialuskus, etc were some of my favorite players.

Why can't we have that again. All it takes is a good coach.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
expresswrittenconsent
BCG teams had a ton of talent. But yes, they were loved because they all busted ass.
DukeMu
expresswrittenconsent said:

BCG teams had a ton of talent. But yes, they were loved because they all busted ass.

I want to see players diving into scoring tables again!

That's part of the problem BCG had in KY. The blue bloods don't want to dive on the floor and mess up their unis.

Isaih Smollett
Shouldn't Collins improve in 4 years playing against D1 players in practice? That guy doesn't see the court for any team in the Missouri valley
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
zooguy96 said:

That's why everyone loved BCG. His teams didn't have as much talent, but damn they played hard and disciplined, which led to winning. Marlon Pompey, Kavialuskus, etc were some of my favorite players.

He left as soon as he could - failed at Kentucky !
zooguy96
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

zooguy96 said:

That's cause he had elite players who didn't buy in.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
expresswrittenconsent
zooguy96 said:

zooguy96 said:

That's another silly one. Good coaches get the players to buy in. Plenty of coaches are able to get 1 and dones to hustle. The fact that BCG failed at Kentucky isnt the fault of the players. It is on him. He was also a massive failure at Tech. His players there went full mutiny. So it seems like he failed with 5 stars and with regular Joe's. His amazing success here is the outlier, not the norm.
greg.w.h
AG

zooguy96 said:

zooguy96 said:

That's another silly one. Good coaches get the players to buy in. Plenty of coaches are able to get 1 and dones to hustle. The fact that BCG failed at Kentucky isnt the fault of the players. It is on him. He was also a massive failure at Tech. His players there went full mutiny. So it seems like he failed with 5 stars and with regular Joe's. His amazing success here is the outlier, not the norm.

UTEP and Ranger, too.
TyHolden
AG
TXAG14 said:

this kinda sums it up...
SACR
AG

zooguy96 said:

zooguy96 said:

There is nothing more amusing than Aggies who hate BCG because they're butthurt over him leaving for Kentucky.
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
GoZags
Pumpkinhead said:

'Gonzaga Beat Down' week, both off the court (taking Timme) and on. We'd destroy them in football though.
Ahem ... while I am confident your statement is correct, I DO have to do a little "football" trash talking.

1. Gonzaga is undefeated in football since 1941 (could be because football was dropped days after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

2. Gonzaga has twice as many members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as does Texas A&M.
https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/colleges/

FWIW I enjoyed "evening the score" last night ... our hoops programs are now .500 against each other. I'm hopeful your guys have a better than expected season .... and I look forward to visit College Station next year.
GoZags
CDub06 said:

On the plus side, the Gonzaga student section was nuts. Best student section I've ever seen. They were noisy, engaged & just having a blast the entire game - even when they were up 30. That was worth the price of admission.
Appreciate your visit. Both to our gym and to our Board. Don't be a stranger .... i.e. you are welcome back anytime.

_lefraud_
AG
BCG didn't have elite talent at Kentucky. Far from it, actually.
CDub06
AG
GoZags said:

CDub06 said:

On the plus side, the Gonzaga student section was nuts. Best student section I've ever seen. They were noisy, engaged & just having a blast the entire game - even when they were up 30. That was worth the price of admission.
Appreciate your visit. Both to our gym and to our Board. Don't be a stranger .... i.e. you are welcome back anytime.
That doesn't seem to be the case with how freaking hard y'all make it for visitors to get tickets.
GoZags
CDub06 said:

GoZags said:

CDub06 said:

That doesn't seem to be the case with how freaking hard y'all make it for visitors to get tickets.
Locals without tickets have to go through the same thing. It's a tough ticket. Locals get a chance during Winter Break (when the students are out of school).

But someone from Spokane, or Couer D'Alene, Idaho (or anywhere) would have an equally tough time finding tickets. It's a supply and demand situation (not a prejudicial bias against supporters of other schools). I "could' link to scores of posts on our Board expressing similar frustrations to what you've expressed.

Edited to add: A good analogy might be someone from Seattle (like me) frustrated because I was in New York and had trouble getting tickets to Hamilton. They aren't prejudicial against folks from out of town ... it's equally hard for locals AND out of towners. I could probably get in, but it'd be difficult and/or costly. And don't laugh at that analogy. As you've seen, Gonzaga is a touch ticket (exacerbated by the fact you were trying to get in against a high profile Power 5 opponent).
CDub06
AG
Well I'm used to visitors being allocated tickets. Apparently ours went exclusively to players guests.

The other thing is the fact that season ticket holders can't sell on stubhub, etc in fear of losing their tickets. Usually if you have money, you're gonna get tickets. For me I had to pursue a bunch of dead ends and scam artists before I found an honest seller. And then I wore neutral colors so she wouldnt get in trouble. I mean, y'all literally have the ticket holders names printed on the seats.

I'm not mad, it was just something I'd never heard of and didn't realize was going to be an issue.
miller0926
AG
CDub06 said:

Well I'm used to visitors being allocated tickets. Apparently ours went exclusively to players guests.

The other thing is the fact that season ticket holders can't sell on stubhub, etc in fear of losing their tickets. Usually if you have money, you're gonna get tickets. For me I had to pursue a bunch of dead ends and scam artists before I found an honest seller. And then I wore neutral colors so she wouldnt get in trouble. I mean, y'all literally have the ticket holders names printed on the seats.

I'm not mad, it was just something I'd never heard of and didn't realize was going to be an issue.

I had to wait until literally like 2 days before the game to know for sure I was getting a ticket put aside for me. I don't regret going at all. The student section was awesome all game, I'm so envious of it.
GoZags
Again, appreciate your visit and am glad you enjoyed all but the outcome. I'm not taking anything for granted on the outcome of our return game ... and look forward to visiting your place (I've never been there).

You two saw Gonzaga "today" ... I'll share a back story.

When Mark Few first arrived on the Gonzaga campus (as a $1,500/year Grad Assistant), he was pulled aside by the campus elders and told "You will never win in this league, and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." He and fellow assistant coaches (and roommates) Dan Monson and Billy Grier set out to change that paradigm, and change the paradigm they did.

When Gonzaga's "cute little run" began a couple of decades ago, GU's recruiting budget ($8,000 a year) ranked dead last in the West Coast Conference. And it wasn't until the 3rd of Gonzaga's back to back to back Sweet 16's/Elite 8 ('99-'01) that GU even purchased a high speed recorder/machine for scouting purposes. Those babies cost $25,000 and the old fashioned VHS/Beta worked just fine.

The program is much different now ... but remarkably has the same core values of the early days.

You guys at Texas A and M have so much to be proud of .... your longtime traditions are incredibly special. The way you've fought through adversity and horrific tragedy. But your core remains the same.

GU is trying it's best to have something similar (albeit with Basketball). See you next year.
CDub06
AG
Wow. Great story. From those roots to a team that's synonymous with college basketball. Mark Few is an icon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.