KenPom Preseason Rankings

1,535 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DukeMu
BaytownAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://kenpom.com/index.php

These rankings don't matter too much right now, but I'd say 48 isn't a bad place to start for this team. I'd also say it's more objective than a lot of these national pundits' rankings.

I know I for one am excited for this season. I think if this team can adapt to the new style of play and still be able to rebound, we can make some noise.
greg.w.h
AG
What's the methodology for taking zero data and forecasting a result for a team that lost four seniors???
wacarnolds
AG
greg.w.h said:

What's the methodology for taking zero data and forecasting a result for a team that lost four seniors???

From his site (from 2016, but still true for the most part):

"The components and weighting is based on a regression of the past nine seasons. The system is, by 2015 standards, pretty simple. It doesn't try to project playing time for individual players. All but 5-star recruits are virtually ignored.

In the most general sense, the main ingredient in the system is inertia. If a team has been good in the recent past, it's likely to be rated well in the preseason. As much as we like to think of college basketball as this crazy sport where anything can happen, there's just not much class mobility in the game. I think we all understand that the Big Ten will always be better than the SWAC, but even within conferences there's a clear power structure that might vary from year to year but is very predictable over the long term.

Over the next decade, it's a near certainty that Arizona will win more Pac-12 games than Washington State, Kansas will win more Big 12 games than TCU, and Duke will win more ACC games than Boston College. So in the absence of looking at specific players, the projection first relies on recent team performance. Projected offense is largely determined by the quality of a team's offense over the previous three seasons and its defense from last season. Projected defense uses similar variables.

Returning personnel is considered as well. Generally, the more players returning, the better. However, the quality of the player is also a factor. Losing a high-usage/high-efficiency player hurts a team's offense a lot more than losing a role player. In fact, a low-usage inefficient role player that returns can actually hurt a team's rating. So while chasing off a player is not the most ethical practice, it is apparently a good sign for the program when a struggling player seeks a new school."
BaytownAg13
AG
greg.w.h said:

https://kenpom.com/blog/2018-pre-season-top-ten/

Here is some additional info concerning the algorithm he used for the way too early rankings for 2018. I'm sure it is pretty much unchanged.
wacarnolds
AG
BaytownAg13 said:

I'd say 48 isn't a bad place to start for this team.

Yeah the back end of top 50 seems pretty reasonable.

10 sec teams in the top 51, all 14 in the top 100. The whole conference hasn't finished in the top 100 since 2002, and we're just a couple of years removed from teams regularly finishing 150+, so it's another data point that the whole conference has gotten a lot better.
Super Aggie 64
AG
KenPom rankings for the schedule

345 Savannah State
97 UC Irvine
9 @ Gonzaga
60 vs Minnesota
46 vs Washington
174 South Alabama
340 Northwestern State
66 Boston College
90 vs Oregon State
131 Valparaiso
95 Marshall
277 Texas Southern
64 Arkansas
7 @ Kentucky
51 @ Alabama
17 Auburn
43 Missouri
19 @ Florida
12 Kansas State
50 LSU
11 Tennessee
94 @ Ole Miss
43 @ Missouri
101 Georgia
42 @ South Carolina
51 Alabama
64 @ Arkansas
50 @ LSU
69 Vanderbilt
42 South Carolina
23 @ Mississippi State
greg.w.h
AG
Thanks insightful. I noted he only includes 5 stars in figuring out ratings which I took as meaning for incoming recruits.

If I understood he projects in essence by adjusting rosters based on losing seniors, losing underclassmen to the draft and incoming 5 stars. Then presumably has stats on the remaining players that are used to combine in aggregate. Can you tell if he does that via game sims or not? Wasn't obvious to me.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Good info, thanks!
wacarnolds
AG
already dropped from #48 to #69 (nice!) and the generous preseason prognostication is probably keeping us from being even lower.
DeangeloVickers
AG
DukeMu
greg.w.h said:

woulda been seniors (and a junior)

Zero.point.zero
DukeMu
Ryno01 said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.