Box Score A&M vs SFA

6,907 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chuck Gay
John Pugliese
How long do you want to ignore this user?

-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Rongagin71
AG
The decrepit cat
crept into the decrepit crypt
and crapped a decrepit crap.
Bunk Moreland
Starks line looks about right.

7/18
3/9 from 3

19 points/7 assists/8 Turnovers.
phatpat21
Def aren't winning games with stats like that and Gilder not scoring much either. Man this year might really be rough
CypressAg09
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Starks line looks about right.

7/18
3/9 from 3

19 points/7 assists/8 Turnovers.
It was first half of last year vs second half all in one game. 0-7 vs 6-11 in the two halves of the scrimmage.
CypressAg09
AG
phatpat21 said:

Def aren't winning games with stats like that and Gilder not scoring much either. Man this year might really be rough
Gilder hasn't been practicing and Mitchell didn't even play. I wouldn't read too much from the box score from a closed scrimmage
Mikeyshooter
AG
That tweet is mildly humorous. SFA is picked to win their league and we barely "lost" while our 2 best guards sucked, Mitchell didn't even play, Collins/Jasey/Walker played double digit minutes, etc. looking at minutes SFA clearly tried to win while we played everyone. Goodman is a clown.
Pumpkinhead
AG
It may very well be a long year for Aggies but agree with above posts and LOL at Jeff Goodman tweeting that a box score result from a pre-season closed scrimmage somehow means anything in terms of predicting what our team will do this year. It is questionable whether both coaching staffs even had 'winning' that game as a top priority vs other goals.

Is Mitchell injured?

Also, I see Devonte Fitzgerald played for SFA! A blast from the past! I hope that kid is finally done with knee injuries and has a fun season.
lbasham
AG
Kennedy said during SEC media days that Mitchell and Gilder had minor injuries, but should be fine soon. Both were on stationary bikes during our first team scrimmage last week and did not play.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, tweeting a box score from a closed scrimmage is weak stuff. Who cares.
GE
AG
John Pugliese said:

Thanks for posting this. I read the 2nd half minutes distribution between both teams as one playing to win and the other not as much.
AggieEyes
AG
These scrimmage stats mean nothing however we need Jimbo to coach Aggie Basketball too.
Serious Lee
cant wait to see which team plays to win, and which just wants to get better next week when we play longhorns.
SunrayAg
AG
There are seriously people wailing and gnashing teeth over the results of a scrimmage?

A live practice against another team.

Practice..

Practice.

It was a practice event.
Bunk Moreland
SunrayAg said:

There are seriously people wailing and gnashing teeth over the results of a scrimmage?

A live practice against another team.

Practice..

Practice.

It was a practice event.

Who's gnashing teeth?

A national sportswriter made a quick take because he doesn't follow the team daily. Some board cheerleaders quickly informed everyone that the Ags weren't playing for a win and had key guys out or limited.

Others (me included) made basic observations from the the box score...

Not sure anyone is wailing.
Artimus Gordon
This Mitchell guy better be the second coming of Duane Wilson or this could another year like the final season of Melvin Watkins. Followed by a coaching search at the end. Which I would be interested to see what Scott Woodard could bring in to upgrade a moribund basketball program.
1997Aggie
AG
We lost a lot of talent from last years team. I am not expecting much from this year's team as a result. You can't just replace Hogg, Davis, Trocha that easy. Set your expectations low and be happy when they overachieve.
EXCELL
Quote:

Set your expectations low
The motto of Aggie athletics. Sad but so true with so many great teams that just couldn't clear the hurdle in football and baseball in particular.
GE
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

This Mitchell guy better be the second coming of Duane Wilson or this could another year like the final season of Melvin Watkins. Followed by a coaching search at the end. Which I would be interested to see what Scott Woodard could bring in to upgrade a moribund basketball program.
I highly doubt it, even if the team finishes with a losing record in conference and overall. Top 20ish recruiting class coming in next year and sweet 16 last year likely buys him next season even if this year is a down year.

Beyond that it's rare generally at a school like A&M to see a coach let go for having a down year after having three players leave early for the NBA and also losing two significant senior contributors. Essentially turnover of 4 of the starting 5 and 5 of the rotation of 8 (prior to Wilson injury).

Could be wrong but I don't think Woodward's goal is necessarily national championships in basketball and also don't think that the financial support is there from donors to both buy out Kennedy and make a Jimbo-type hire.

It's no fun managing expectations but that's probably sound advice for this season. Still holding out hope that there is enough unknown with this team that if most of it turns out positive they can compete for top 9 in the SEC and a tournament spot.
Bunk Moreland
last year was a major disappointment with a fun 1 week ending.

Now this year it's best to manage expectations. Joy.
Mikeyshooter
AG
GE said:

Artimus Gordon said:

I highly doubt it, even if the team finishes with a losing record in conference and overall. Top 20ish recruiting class coming in next year and sweet 16 last year likely buys him next season even if this year is a down year.

Beyond that it's rare generally at a school like A&M to see a coach let go for having a down year after having three players leave early for the NBA and also losing two significant senior contributors. Essentially turnover of 4 of the starting 5 and 5 of the rotation of 8 (prior to Wilson injury).

Could be wrong but I don't think Woodward's goal is necessarily national championships in basketball and also don't think that the financial support is there from donors to both buy out Kennedy and make a Jimbo-type hire.

It's no fun managing expectations but that's probably sound advice for this season. Still holding out hope that there is enough unknown with this team that if most of it turns out positive they can compete for top 9 in the SEC and a tournament spot.
Sadly I agree. The only thing that changes things is BK's health. It's not fun to talk about but it's reality.
GE
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

last year was a major disappointment with a fun 1 week ending.

Now this year it's best to manage expectations. Joy.
I don't know about you but I enjoyed last year. There were some incredible high and exciting points.
  • Running Kentucky out of the gym at Reed.
  • Destroying UNC.
  • Opening the season by dominating West Virginia in Germany.
  • Destroying Oklahoma State and USC.
  • The comeback against Arizona
  • Even losing nail-biters to LSU, Alabama, and Kentucky

Sure there were some bad times like losing the next three games after Duane Wilson went down against Kentucky and losing the first five conference games with an average of more than 2 starters out for that run, but overall last season was very enjoyable.

Even if we end this season with a similar record I don't expect it be nearly as enjoyable because the odds of dominating great teams are extremely low.
bobinator
AG
GE said:

Even if we end this season with a similar record I don't expect it be nearly as enjoyable because the odds of dominating great teams are extremely low.
So I actually disagree here even though I agree with your larger point that last season was more than "one good week at the end." Blitzkrieging several high profile OOC teams was awesome and that Kentucky game at Reed was one of the most fun games I've ever been to.

But if this team ends up with a similar record I think it will be pretty enjoyable because we'll be watching a team try to claw and scratch its way to the NCAA's.

I talked about this last year, but watching a mediocre-to-decent team that goes out and battles every night can be enjoyable. Last year there were a few games where we acted like we didn't even want to be there. (Florida, Mississippi State, LSU just off the top of my head.)

And it wasn't 'well the shots just aren't falling' tonight games. Obviously those are going to happen, but we looked resigned to let it happen.

Everyone knows we lost some big pieces, and this team isn't going to be as good as last year's team was at it's peak. But if this group comes out and battles every night and gives itself a chance at the NCAA's, I think it'll be a fun season.
GE
AG
Fair point. Hopefully it plays out that way. There is just always a level of excitement going into games when I know beyond all doubt that there is a legitimate chance for A&M to win, which was every game last season. Don't think that I'll feel the same way this year.
expresswrittenconsent
GE said:

Presumably the bolded part is based on facts you can provide and not just emotions.
GE
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

GE said:

Presumably the bolded part is based on facts you can provide and not just emotions.
More of a general assumption based on not being able to recall any off the top of my head where the coach was fired in this situation.
expresswrittenconsent
Weird that you couldn't off the top of your head remember other examples of such a common scenario.
GE
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Weird that you couldn't off the top of your head remember other examples of such a common scenario.
Cannot tell if sarcasm. The truth is that teams with a basketball history and stature of Texas A&M just don't make the sweet 16 very often.
expresswrittenconsent
Yes, sarcasm from all the qualifiers about early entrants and back end rotation losses.
If you say it's unlikely a team with 2 NCAA trips in 8 years would fire a coach 1 yr removed from s16, I could see your point.
GrayMatter
AG
Yeah I'm not gonna put a whole of stock on a scrimmage especially when you have Chris Collins playing significant minutes, but you also have to look at the other side of the coin. 23 turnovers isn't going to cut it and this new style of basketball isn't going to be an easy transition.

We are going to play faster this year because we have to. The last few years we've had the benefit of 2nd or 3rd chance opportunities on put backs due to our size and now that's gone.

I do somewhat agree with Goodman; I think it's going to be a transitional/retooling/rebuilding/insert_excuse_here year for us.

Thanks for sharing John!
Tobias Funke
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

Set your expectations low
The motto of Aggie athletics. Sad but so true with so many great teams that just couldn't clear the hurdle in football and baseball in particular.

You are a very sad person.
EXCELL
The truth is just brutal, but it is what it is.

Emory Bellard had the best team in the country when he stubbornly refused to throw the ball against an Arkansas defense that had 10 (TEN !!!) players in the box. A wasted golden opportunity at a national championship.

Or how about the baseball team with 50+ wins that couldn't get past the regional at home.

Just 2 examples. There are more. I swear there is something in the water in College Station that keeps us from getting to the top in the major sports. Yes, I know about the women's basketball championship but we haven't sniffed a major national championship since 1939.

bobinator
AG
GrayMatter said:

this new style of basketball isn't going to be an easy transition.
That's a good point, we're probably going to play some absolutely hideous games early in the season.
Rongagin71
AG
EXCELL said:

The truth is just brutal, but it is what it is.

Emory Bellard had the best team in the country when he stubbornly refused to throw the ball against an Arkansas defense that had 10 (TEN !!!) players in the box. A wasted golden opportunity at a national championship.

Or how about the baseball team with 50+ wins that couldn't get past the regional at home.

Just 2 examples. There are more. I swear there is something in the water in College Station that keeps us from getting to the top in the major sports. Yes, I know about the women's basketball championship but we haven't sniffed a major national championship since 1939.

Remember the ASTROS? Another lucky year will come.
Expert Analysis
AG
Heard Starks was playing with a blindfold on the first half.
IF we can stay healthy and get big minutes out of Starks and Gilder we will be fine.
We need a vocal leader to emerge.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.