*****COUNTDOWN TO 2018-2019 SEASON OPENER*****

3,995 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Morgan94
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's only 30 days until the Aggies' opener on November 7th. I'm going to post a video each day as we approach the beginning of basketball season to help us count it down.

Antoine Wright and the Aggies Thwart Bob Knight's Bid at Win #800

This video is from the 2002-2003 season, and was Antoine Wright's freshman season. Despite having the 5-star freshman and Bernard King, the Aggies ended up with a .500 conference record and just missed the NIT. However, Bob Knight was in town on February 1st to see if he could notch win #800 in his collegiate coaching career.

I was at the game, and I remember it being pretty crowded (the box score is still up and says the attendance was over 12,000). Knight may have been the initial draw for some, but the Aggies took a first half lead and the atmosphere ratcheted up a notch. When Wright threw down, the crowd really got into it.

Wright ended up with a double-double, and the Aggies won the game 64-59. '

Mayhaw Jelly
wacarnolds
bobinator
AG
T)hat was one of the first Aggie Basketball games I ever watched on TV (maybe THE first. I was still in high school, but I remember seeing the 'Reed Rowdies' shirts on TV during that game which is how I knew what the organization was when I saw them at MSC Open House in the fall of 2003.
mazzag
Lance Uppercut
AG

What Did You Just Say LaPhonso? President Ray Turner's Dunk on Mizzou

Ray Turner hadn't been with the team for long, and only played 8 minutes scoring 4 points during this game in February of 2010, but 2 of those points came with an exclamation point and helped spur the Aggies to a win on the road in Columbia. Ray Turner's long-distance dunk got the attention of the Aggie bench, ESPN (it was a Top 10 play), and the announcers. Former NBA player turned commentator LaPhonso Ellis only got a few seconds to warn us that Turner is an athlete before Ray took flight.

The 77-74 Aggie win ended a 32 game home court winning streak for Mizzou, and began a stretch where the Aggies won 8 of their final 10 conference games.

The dunk was so mighty that it also began Ray Turner's candidacy for freshman class president. Knowing no other candidate was capable of dunking from that distance (or possibly at all), the Class of 2010 gave Turner a plurality of votes in the first round of the election. Some time before the final election, Turner turned down the position, saying that he was honored but needed to focus on basketball. He did get to keep the nickname "President" during his playing career with the Aggies.

Turner's senior bio on the athletics website is still available, and includes this information in the final paragraph

Quote:

won 30 percent of the vote for freshman class president in March 2010 after a write-in campaign by fellow students, earning a spot in the school's runoff election

oldarmy76
We were 6-10 in conference in 02-03. Good enough to get Melvin an extension.
EXCELL
Weren't the basketballs made out of rhino leather back then?
EXCELL
Quote:

Aggies won the game 64-59
And overcame an applied 15 point pre-game spot to tech as a penalty for having Melvin Watkins as head coach.
EXCELL
Quote:

We were 6-10 in conference in 02-03. Good enough to get Melvin an extension.
And even more amazing was the number of TexAgs posters who continued to vocalize the "he's so close to breaking out" mantre.
miller0926
Lance Uppercut
AG

DeAndre Jordan's Putback Dunk vs. Colorado

DeAndre Jordan was only on campus for one year, but he fit in a number of memorable dunks during his time in College Station. The Aggies hosted Colorado on January 12th, 2008 and jumped to a quick first half lead, thanks in part to this big dunk from Jordan.

Jordan finished the game with 14 points, and the Aggies went on to win 86-69.

Gap
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

DeAndre Jordan's Putback Dunk vs. Colorado

DeAndre Jordan was only on campus for one year, but he fit in a number of memorable dunks during his time in College Station. The Aggies hosted Colorado on January 12th, 2008 and jumped to a quick first half lead, thanks in part to this big dunk from Jordan.

Jordan finished the game with 14 points, and the Aggies went on to win 86-69.

That was the the best dunk I have ever seen in person at a basketball game. I was in awe.
Lance Uppercut
AG

Windmillin' Williams

In case you don't already miss Robert Williams....here's the clip of his windmill slam that put the exclamation point on the 73-69 first round win over Providence in last year's NCAA Tournament.

And for good measure....another one from the 2nd round upset of North Carolina a few days later.

mazzag
AG

ETA, I miss him.
bobinator
AG
Gap said:

That was the the best dunk I have ever seen in person at a basketball game. I was in awe.

The video doesn't do this dunk justice, I almost fainted.
Lance Uppercut
AG

Antwan Space Volunteer Vendetta

Antwan Space wasn't normally a 3 point shooter, but you wouldn't guess that when it came to last second plays against the Tennessee Volunteers during the 2013-2014 season. The first game winning three came on the road in Knoxville.

When the Volunteers made the return trip to College Station, Space cruelly waited until the last seconds to bury another game winning 3.

Lance Uppercut
AG

Alex Caruso Behind-the-Back and Dunk

mallen
AG
And why the heck wasn't a foul called on that dunk over Marshall Henderson?
GrayMatter
AG
Refs got caught up watching the game.
Lance Uppercut
AG

Antone Wright Dunk in Norman

Lance Uppercut
AG

Jalen Jones "Dunk of the Game"

JJxvi
AG
I feel pretty much zero enthusiasm for the season this year.
Gap
AG
JJxvi said:

I feel pretty much zero enthusiasm for the season this year.
Go soil another thread. You post basically the same thing on every basketball topic.
JJxvi
AG
Sorry for the thread derail, I didn't mean it, its just that watching these videos pretty much did nothing for me and that was a very odd feeling for me.

As far as what I post...Yeah, I'll make sure to clear any future one with almighty Gap. BTW, I have only 6 posts on only 3 different threads dating back to July. Traffic must be really down if the 3 threads I've posted on is all of them.
Tobias Funke
AG
Maybe visit a Low-T Center instead of boohooing on threads meant to generate some enthusiasm?
JJxvi
AG
I'm pretty sure the Low-T center wont help. Maybe if the next video is Bradley Jackson going coast to coast, followed by a Bernard King steal and 15 football players lumbering out onto the court, or maybe a video featuring the greatest player in A&M basketball history, Tomas Ress, it could cheer me up.
Tobias Funke
AG
Ask and Receive:

JJxvi
AG
That's just dust in my eye
Lance Uppercut
AG

BJ Holmes Sends the game to OT

From the buffalo! The Aggies went on to win 73-70 on the road

Lance Uppercut
AG

Davis and the Aggies Beat UK

Tyler Davis and the Aggies beat #14 Kentucky at the buzzer in College Station

Lance Uppercut
AG

Law and the Aggies win in Allen Fieldhouse

The Aggies beat #6 Kansas on the road. Acie finished with 23 points, and Kansas lost for the first time to a Big 12 South team in Lawrence, previously having been 31-0 against the division.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Back by popular demand

Joseph Jones Sets a Pick, Almost Starts a Riot

Lance Uppercut
AG

Josh Carter Hits a 3 to Beat Nebraska

Lance Uppercut
AG

Tournament Comeback against Northern Iowa

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.