SEC Schedule Release Date (Today 8/24)

3,347 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hurleyag
Super Aggie 64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2018-2019 SEC Conference game schedule was released today!

Savannah State 11/7/18 (Wed)
UC Irvine 11/9/18 (Fri)
@Gonzaga 11/15/18 (Thu)
vs Minnesota 11/18/18 (Sun) - Vancouver Showcase
vs Washington or Santa Clara 11/20/18 (Tue) - Vancouver Showcase
South Alabama 11/23/18 (Fri)
Northwestern State 12/3/18 (Mon)
Boston College 12/8/18 (Sat)
@Oregon State 12/15/18 (Sat) - Portland
Valparaiso 12/19/18 (Wed)
Marshall 12/22/18 (Sat)
Texas Southern 12/29/18 (Sat)

Arkansas 1/5/19 (Sat)
@Kentucky 1/8/19 (Tue)
@Alabama 1/12/19 (Sat)
Auburn 1/16/19 (Wed)
Missouri 1/19/19 (Sat)
@Florida 1/22/19 (Tue)
Kansas State 1/26/19 (Sat) - SEC/Big 12 Challenge
LSU 1/30/19 (Wed)
Tennessee 2/2/19 (Sat)
@Ole Miss 2/6/19 (Wed)
@Missouri 2/9/19 (Sat)
Georgia 2/12/19 (Tue)
@South Carolina 2/16/19 (Sat)
Alabama 2/19/19 (Tue)
@Arkansas 2/23/19 (Sat)
@LSU 2/26/19 (Tue)
Vanderbilt 3/2/19 (Sat)
South Carolina 3/5/19 (Tue)
@Mississippi State 3/9/19 (Sat)

SEC Tournament 3/13/19 (Wed) - 3/17/19 (Sun)

Texas A&M Men's Basketball Conference Schedule Announced

2018-19 Men's Basketball Schedule
mallen
AG
7 game stretch in February where we play 5 road games and only 2 home games.
miller0926
AG
Back to starting in January after bowl season.
wacarnolds
AG
miller0926 said:

Back to starting in January after bowl season.
someone doesn't have faith Jimbo will have us playing Jan. 7, 2019 smh
wacarnolds
AG
Just 1 game each vs the assumed top 3 teams (Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee). And just 1 vs Miss St (~4th best team) and Florida (~6th best).

Means less opportunities for marquee wins, but it's a favorable schedule for racking up wins if the team puts it together by the time conference play rolls around

Con Spirito
CDowsk09 said:

The 2018-2019 SEC Conference game schedule was released today!

@Gonzaga 11/15/18 (Thu)
@Minnesota 11/18/18 (Sun) - Vancouver Showcase
Washington or Santa Clara 11/20/18 (Tue) - Vancouver Showcase
Boston College 12/8/18 (Sat)
vs Oregon State TBA - Portland...
Is there trouble in Vancouver? The website Blogging the Bracket maintains a comprehensive list of pre-season exempt tournaments. Almost all the exempt tournament involving major conference teams have full fields but according to the site, as of Aug. 28th, the Vancouver tournament has only filled 5 of the 8 men's bracket spots - the four championship bracket teams (A&M, Washington, Santa Clara and Minnesota) plus UC Irvine. None of the four championship bracket teams have released complete schedules - Santa Clara released its non-conference schedule in July with one game (a Vancouver game) missing; Washington, Minnesota and A&M have not released their non-conference schedule yet. A&M and Santa Clara are scheduled to meet UC Irvine on their home floors in the tournament. The Vancouver Showcase's Twitter has been silent for some time on the men's tournament (they have a great 8-team women's tournament that features Notre Dame, Oregon State, South Carolina and other major conference teams).

Several one-bid conference schools have not released their schedule and my be negotiating or already signed to play in the Vancouver tournament, but the signs at this late date are not good for this tournament.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Any idea when rest of non conference schedule is released?
miller0926
AG

This twitter follow posts every OOC schedule as they are announced. If there is trouble finding more teams for the Vancouver tourney, they're running out of options.
Chuck Gay
AG
The teams playing in Vancouver in our 4 team tourney are confirmed. All that is missing is whether there would be a couple of "cream puff" type games in College Station that are part of the "tournament" but would have no bearing on the 4 teams playing in Vancouver. Being an exempt tournament, these can give you up to 2 extra games in a season. We already have one of the possible two extra games from this tournament and it will be against UC-Irvine.
miller0926
AG
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/9/11/17844064/whats-going-on-with-the-vancouver-showcase

After holding out on us for far too long, the Gophers finally relented and announced their full-season schedule on Thursday, giving us a picture of what to expect this season and who will come rolling through Williams Arena this fall. At first blush, it looks like a regular old schedule with a full Big Ten slate, a bunch of cupcakes, a couple neutral court matchups and a holiday tournament. But if you look real close, you'll notice that the Gophers have only scheduled 30 games total. Technically, with a holiday tournament in tow, they're allowed to have 31 total games. And in this day and age, every game counts, so you need to max out that schedule in any way possible. But, as we dig into this a little bit, the reason for the discrepancy is anything but simple.
Ready to get weird?
First off, it's important to note that the Gophers have been invited to participate in the "inaugural" Vancouver Showcase, along with Texas A&M, Washington and Santa Clara. I put inaugural in quotes because it was technically supposed to debut in 2017 but this convoluted press releaseexplains that organizers decided to push it back for a calendar year for unknown reasons. Skeptical? You should be. Let's keep going.
Second, let's get a quick refresher on MTEs. For this we need to loop in Blogging The Bracket'sChris Dobbertean for a little professorial session, because I'm already out of my element. Chris?
Quote:

The long and short of it is that by participating in what the NCAA calls a "qualifying regular-season multi-team event" (MTE), a team can schedule 30 or 31 games during the regular season (or up to 32, if there's a trip to Hawai'i in there). If a team doesn't participate in an MTE, it can only play 29 games. With the Big Ten going to a 20-game conference schedule this year, you can see why every league member has signed up for an MTE.
Note that there are still non-exempt tournaments out there, the most famous of these being the Sun Bowl event in El Paso, but they count as a hard two games against your scheduling cap, which is why only mid-majors participate in them at this point.
Okay, so teams like the Gophers are incentivized to play in these MTEs for a chance to get up to 31 games on the schedule and boost their resumes for postseason play (and make money). Got it. On to the Vancouver Showcase right?

Well, not so fast. The Showcase is technically supposed to be made up of eight teams. The four host teams (Minnesota, Santa Clara, Texas A&M, and Washington) are each supposed to host a pair of lower-tier mid-majors in the early days of the new season. Then, they head to Vancouver to play a four-team bracketed tournament. In turn, the four mid-major visitors would also get to play out their own bracket in Canada in the day session. So, in the end, everyone gets the maximum four games permitted under the MTE rule. Easy!
However, the other four teams have not been announced yet. Could it be that event organizers simply haven't gotten around to it? Well ... no.
You see, UC-Irvine was originally supposed to be in that bottom bracket, and planned to face Texas A&M and Santa Clara before the Showcase, just like they were supposed to. Six days ago, they announced that they had pulled OUT of the Vancouver Showcase, and are now playing in the Gulf Coast Showdown instead. Talk about a canary in the coal mine. That implies the Anteaters were spooked enough by the prospects of this tournament that they left to join another one. NOT GOOD, FOLKS.
Now, is this just bad luck, or have we reached a tipping point of ridiculousness with these MTEs? Let's go back to the Vancouver Showcase being pushed back by one year. Dobbertean suspects this was likely because of difficulties the organizers had in getting teams to sign up to begin with.
Quote:

That was thanks in large part to the ESPN/Nike-backed Phil Knight Invitational taking 16 (mostly) brand name teams out of the exempt tournament pool. That tipped off a domino effect on other fields. And it really didn't help that we've reached "peak MTE" over the past couple of seasons.
"Peak MTE"? You don't say.
Quote:

There's simply a lack of available teams out there. I've been tracking these events since 2012 and this is honestly the first season in that span when I've found myself throwing up my hands in frustration at what's going on with how convoluted these events have become. At the moment, I know of only 10 teams that are either not yet connected to an MTE or have already released a schedule indicating they're foregoing one for this season. And that's out of 353 teams in Division I this season.
So, let's regroup. Essentially, the Vancouver Showcase lured teams like Minnesota in by saying they'd get two home games against not-awful mid-majors and would get to play in a bracketed holiday tournament with national exposure. And now they're having trouble making good on the two bonus games because there literally aren't enough teams left in the nation to play.
So how are the Gophers impacted right now? Well, to be honest they're kinda still figuring that out. No, seriously. Per Marcus:
Quote:

While full team schedules were released Thursday, there is a possibility Minnesota could add another game.
Two Gophers home games that were part of an agreement to play in the Vancouver Showcase were not agreed upon this summer as expected. Minnesota scrambled to add one home game in time for the schedule release, and a second game might be added soon. However, sources told the Star Tribune the game might not be at home.
Minnesota could end up playing an extra game in Vancouver during their long-scheduled Nov. 18-20 Vancouver Showcase trip. The Gophers play Texas A&M (Nov. 18) and either Washington or Santa Clara (Nov. 20), and a third game could be added Nov. 21.
So the final game might be played at home. Or it might be played on the road. Or it might not be played at all. What a clown show. Actually, it kind of reminds me of a tournament the Gophers played in last year where they were supposed to play at the Barclays Center (you know, as part of the Barclays Center Classic) but the organizers double booked the venue and forced Minnesota and UMass to play in a 2,000-seat MAAC gym.
At the end of the day it's just one game, but in an age where every game counts for the postseason (especially if you're leaving a home game against a good team like UC-Irvine on table), this type of thing is pretty frustrating.
But why is it happening? For starters, it's the classic Tragedy of the Commons (shout out to all those economics majors out there). Mid-majors want in on the action that comes with joining an MTE, and organizers are happy to oblige. Only, nowadays mid-majors to benefit (like getting to host a home game), not to be target practice for major programs. According to Dobbertean, the Barclays Center Classic is going to be a round-robin this year with Pitt and Saint Louis playing a showcase game in Brooklyn so that the three mid-majors involved each get a home game.
And the impacts are being felt downstream. This year there are 15 MTEs that are supposed to feature eight teams, split into two four-team groups (higher-tier and lower-tier mid-major). Only 10 of these events were able to stay true to that format and a couple of those events don't feature everyone playing the full complement of four Division I games allowed under the MTE rule.
Meanwhile, eight-team MTEs that play out a traditional three-round bracket, like the Maui Invitational, have started to set up "regional round" brackets to give their participants a fourth-game, always at home. The Gophers directly benefited from this in 2013.
Predictably, these types of tournaments are also having trouble getting mid-majors willing to lose a pair of power-conference road games before playing a bracket out in a mid-major gym over Thanksgiving weekend. It's just not worth it any longer. According to Dobbertean, neither the Maui or Atlantis tournaments filled its regional round field out in 2018, leading teams like Arizona, Duke, Butler, and Wisconsin to seek a waiver to schedule their own games because there weren't enough interested/available opponents for them. We've officially entered the era of "waiver games."
Such is the modus operandi in college basketball these days.
Con Spirito
Seems the NCAA should just cut to the chase and allow all teams to play 31 games - or 32 if one is in Hawai'i.
Mustang1
AG
Homs game w/ Valpo:

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/men-s-basketball-west-virginia-texas-a-m-highlight-valparaiso/article_c6deaa44-3a77-5c8a-a6f5-680093065d48.amp.html
wacarnolds
AG
Mustang1 said:

Homs game w/ Valpo:

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/men-s-basketball-west-virginia-texas-a-m-highlight-valparaiso/article_c6deaa44-3a77-5c8a-a6f5-680093065d48.amp.html

Super Aggie 64
AG
Full non-conference schedule released and updated in the first post.

SEC game times announced today!
Chuck Gay
AG
I count 31 games, so we must have gotten exemptions for the two extra games not part of the Vancouver Tournament. I believe one was UC-Irvine. I'm not sure which is the other one and I guess it really doesn't matter.
hurleyag
AG
Horrible home schedule.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.