Congrats to Tyler Davis, signing 2-way contract with OKC

6,310 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gig em Tyler

Thunder Up Ags
AG
Thunder Up! Tyler has earned it!
Artimus Gordon
Way to go Tyler. Make them keep you onboard!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Congrats to Tyler Davis. When he went ahead and stayed in the draft, I was wondering if he was trying to shoot for one of those 2-way contracts. 2-ways are what Alex Caruso (Lakers), Jalen Jones (New Orleans Pelicans), and Danuel House (Pheonix Suns) all played on last season, former teammates that I wouldn't be surprised if Tyler touched base with while making his decision.

For those not familiar with the 2-ways:

Quote:

Here are the specific details for the new two-way contract:
  • They will act as a 16th and 17th roster spot for NBA teams beginning next season (2017-18).
  • The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
  • The rest of the player's contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team's affiliate or another's if the team he signs with doesn't have a G-League affiliate yet. For the 2017-18 season, the G-League will represent 26 of the NBA's 30 teams.
  • The player's pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons. While in the G-League, the player will make $75,000. It's a significant increase from the current pay structure for G-Leaguers, who cannot make more than $26,000 with a one-way G-League deal.
  • When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season. If a player spends 45 days in the NBA, he could make around $204,000.
  • In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.

It isn't as much money as what these guys could probably make overseas, but it is much better than what the average G-League guy makes, it locks you in and limits some flexibility, but it is another way for an undrafted FA to potentially get his foot in the NBA door and see how things go from there.
94chem
Why would a team NOT have a G-League affiliate?
mcag83
AG
TD
Like anyone can even know that.
wacarnolds
AG
94chem said:

Why would a team NOT have a G-League affiliate?

It's a paradigm shift that is still a work in progress.

The G-League is a relatively young and still-expanding league. It started in 2001 with 8 teams. In 2005, there were only 6 teams. It's only recently gotten up into the 20s. And it wasn't until 2009 that the NBA teams became linked to a D-League team, with the Rockets/RGV Vipers partnership. NBA front offices didn't really buy into the need/value of a minor league team.

I think OKC (stashing players) and HOU (developing on-court strategy) showed how valuable the D-League could be if used properly and the rest of the league is finally catching up.

expresswrittenconsent
Double Diamond
AggieTFA06
AG
Really happy for Tyler Davis, but sad that I have to root against him when he plays my 2 favorite NBA teams: Dallas and Houston
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Know Your Enemy
AG
What's sad is that a grown man has two favorite teams.
Method Man
Junkhead said:

What's sad is that a grown man has two favorite teams.

A person like this cannot be trusted.
Harry Dunne
AggieTFA06 said:

Really happy for Tyler Davis, but sad that I have to root against him when he plays my 2 favorite NBA teams: Dallas and Houston

Harry Dunne
Where are all the "experts" around here now that said he wouldn't get a shot?
hurleyag
All_In_Ags
Know Your Enemy
AG
Harry Dunne said:

You may want to save your gloating until he actually suits up in an NBA game.
Harry Dunne
Junkhead said:

Harry Dunne said:

Is it gloating to support and believe in your own guy?

He may never suit up in an NBA game but he has a legitimate shot - many people on here were not even giving him the possibility of that. If I am gloating about an Aggie succeeding I'd rather be that guy than be the guy who eats his own.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Junkhead said:

Harry Dunne said:

He may never suit up in an NBA game but he has a legitimate shot - many people on here were not even giving him the possibility of that. If I am gloating about an Aggie succeeding I'd rather be that guy than be the guy who eats his own.
Look, I was one who thought he may have a shot. Just saying that if you're going to call people out on their opinion you might want to hold off until he actually plays in the NBA. Signing a two-way deal is great but it is not making it in the NBA yet.
expresswrittenconsent
Did you confuse Caruso and Davis?
Virtually every TD thread was about how he was unlikely to get drafted (he didnt) but that he had the talent to make a lot of $$ overseas or he could try the g-league route that caruso/jalen/house were all having some success with.
Harry Dunne
What are you the gloating police?

He signed a 2-way contract, odds are he's going to play. I'm going to gloat now and then I'm going to gloat when he gets called up and again when he gets into an NBA game.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Junkhead said:

Harry Dunne said:

Just like Caruso, Jalen Jones, and House...now that Davis has landed that 2-way contract, I think it is pretty likely he'll get called up for at least a few days at some point during the season, get to step on a court wearing a Thunder uniform.
500,000ags
AG
TD's agent should tell him to dunk every opportunity imaginable.

Try and squash some of the constant "below the rim" analysis.
bobinator
AG
I think his three point shot is going to make the difference on whether he sticks around the league or just flirts with it.

Although an underrated thing that I don't know if we talked about much here but the fact that they basically don't call travelling in the NBA could be a huge boost for Tyler also.
expresswrittenconsent
500,000ags said:

TD's agent should tell him to dunk every opportunity imaginable.

Try and squash some of the constant "below the rim" analysis.

Below the rim doesn't mean "can not physically dunk a basketball".

DukeMu
TD >> Tyler Hansbrough as an NBA prospect and Hansbrough played for 6-7 years in the NBA
Sananag
Make us proud Tyler. Whoop!
Pumpkinhead
Harry Dunne
Junkhead said:

Harry Dunne said:

Is now OK?

rlb28
AG
found this from November... Tyler dominating
he is currently 4th in league in rebounding and has played one minute with the big OKC team.

On Wednesday in the G League... 2018 Thunder draft pick Tyler Davis didn't shoot quite as well inside, but had a big line of 24 points and 16 rebounds, also making 10-of-12 free throws.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Junkhead said:

Harry Dunne said:

Is now OK?

Yes
. . .
rlb28
AG
Davis waived

Quote:

Per the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams can allot two roster spots to two-way players. Those spots do not count against the salary cap. Deonte Burton is also on a two-way contract with the Thunder.
greg.w.h
AG
Keep working Tyler...you've shown you can improve your body and game through hard work. Earn your spot.
Harry Dunne
Does this mean he is out on the street or does he still get to play with the G league team, just not as a 2-way player?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.