College Basketball Rule Changes

1,923 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bobinator
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www-cbssports-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rules-changes-ncaa-makes-major-changes-in-wake-of-fbi-probe/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fcollege-basketball%2Fnews%2Fcollege-basketball-rules-changes-ncaa-makes-major-changes-in-wake-of-fbi-probe%2F

Quote:

The biggest changes are these:

All players who declare for the NBA Draft but go undrafted will have the option to return to their former school.

Elite prospects will now be allowed to have official relationships with agents. This applies to high schoolers and college athletes alike. USA Basketball will be tasked with identifying which prospects in a given class are "elite."

The NCAA is requiring all school presidents, chancellors and athletics staff members to contractually comply with any and all future investigations. This is the NCAA's way of trying to institute a de facto version of subpoena power, which it lacked previously.

School presidents and chancellors will now personally be held accountable by the NCAA for their athletic departments abiding by the rules.

The FBI's case into college basketball brought about mounds of documents of information. Previously, the NCAA did not allow for information and findings from outside investigations at established agencies to be used in its infractions process. Effective immediately, the NCAA and its Committee on Infractions can use information obtained in other probes as a means to an end for its own investigations. This will be implemented immediately by the NCAA with the schools currently caught up in the Department of Justice's case regarding multiple schools and alleged violation of multiple federal laws.

The recruiting calendar, as detailed here, is getting a major overhaul. In a first, college coaches will be allowed to attend the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp each June. Also, the first live period of July will be attendable for non-scholastic events
bobinator
AG
Another big change is a recruit can now take ten official visits. And if they decide to transfer in college they get five more official visits they can take.

GE
AG
wtf is up with needing to define elite? Creating different classes of athletes and having a third party label which are "elite" doesn't sit right with me for some reason.
bobinator
AG
USA Basketball isn't really a "third party" since they've involved with the game at all levels, but I do agree that designation is kind of odd. Just let the agents decide.
TXAGBQ76
AG

Nothing happens until 2022 AND the NBAPA does something about the one and done rule
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

All players who declare for the NBA Draft but go undrafted will have the option to return to their former school.

Not exactly. Per the NCAA's release:

Quote:

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren't drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

So there are some hoops to jump through, some easier than others, and it's all dependent on the NBA making a rule change
greg.w.h
AG
Shamateurism dies a death of 1000 cuts..
Pumpkinhead
AG
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/08/08/ncaa-agents-student-athlete-one-and-done-nba-draft

Quote:

For example, if a player secures an agent and stays in school, he or she might at some point encounter a problem with his coach. In that scenario, the agent could speak with a coach on behalf of the player. An agent could thus reduce the considerable power disparity between a teenage player and a coach who might be three or three times older than the player and who possesses far more education, wisdom and institutional and regulatory understandings.
Hey coach, I have my mom, dad, AND agent on the phone here. They have some questions about how you used me in last night's game.

Quote:

When that time comes, however, it will be interesting to see how NCAA certified agents for high school players interact with possible overtures from sneaker companies and boosters.
$$$! Where can I sign up for my agent certification course?
bobinator
AG
Something I've suggested on here before, and actually Josh Rosen's and his anti-NCAA group suggested a version of it as well, but that's letting undergraduate players be represented by the NCAA itself.

The NCAA would put a few agents on the payroll (with money earmarked from the NCAA Tournament's revenue) and those agents would represent underclassmen players who are considering declaring for the draft so that they retain their eligibility until they're either drafted or sign with an external agent (which most of your first-round lock type guys would.)

wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Something I've suggested on here before, and actually Josh Rosen's and his anti-NCAA group suggested a version of it as well, but that's letting undergraduate players be represented by the NCAA itself.

The NCAA would put a few agents on the payroll (with money earmarked from the NCAA Tournament's revenue) and those agents would represent underclassmen players who are considering declaring for the draft so that they retain their eligibility until they're either drafted or sign with an external agent (which most of your first-round lock type guys would.)

Wouldn't there be a conflict of interest there? Your current "employer" (who has financial reasons to keep you in your current position) is representing you in negotiations with a future employer
bobinator
AG
I can see that in theory, but if the system worked you wouldn't have as many guys declaring early and not getting drafted as you do now, but the agent also wouldn't be in any sort of financial discussions at that point, those wouldn't be until after the draft, at which point you'd hire an external agent if you were drafted.

I'd think they'd do things like schedule workouts, meetings with teams and that sort of administrative stuff.

But a lot of this comes with the assumption that the number of players leaving early right now is a problem. Which it may not be. If you polled all of the underclassmen over the last four years that went undrafted, I wonder how many of them would say they wished they'd have come back to school for another year?
expresswrittenconsent
Bob - in your scenario would we have tyler davis or dj hogg back next year?
bobinator
AG
I doubt it, I'm pretty sure neither of them expected to get drafted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.