Jeff Reynolds Interview (A Lot of Info.)

3,725 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bobinator
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Did those of you with premium access, or those locally listening to the TexAgs radio show catch the interview yesterday with Jeff Reynolds. He basically discussed every player.

He seems to be pretty high on he newcomers and Walker. He said Walker was one of the most improved players in the off-season. Said he'll never be a pure paint guy because he doesn't have the frame, but he can definitely play inside-out and has range and can do some things off the dribble. He also said Mahan has made great strides in the offseason and will contribute. He also seems to really like Mekowulu's skill set and IQ for the game. Said he's been well-coached and has absorbed quickly the things they want him to do.

I skipped over a lot because he talked about every player, but that was a snippet. Anybody else hear it?
Hop
Staff
AG
OK, I see Gabe made it a free content piece and it's posted. The transcript is pretty bare and missed 75% of the content if that's all you looked at.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Definitely sounds like there is a lot of potential. I'm skeptical of the change in style since we've basically played the same style since BK has been here.

I'd really love to see more 4 out, drive and kick, more off ball screens instead of the ball screen over and over.
Hop
Staff
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Definitely sounds like there is a lot of potential. I'm skeptical of the change in style since we've basically played the same style since BK has been here.

I'd really love to see more 4 out, drive and kick, more off ball screens instead of the ball screen over and over.
I'll say this. People close to the program are saying Reynolds has made a big difference in practice execution and implementation of what they want to do. It sounds like he's pretty aggressive in practice.

But the reality is, you can talk about playing fast, but when you are limited at the point guard position and your best players play in the paint (as A&M was the past two seasons), it doesn't make sense to run.

We'll see what happens, but on paper this team has made a significant transition from a post-heavy team to a guard-oriented/perimeter-oriented team. It's hard to see this team not playing faster. Interesting that Reynolds said several times in the interview that he's had to slow them down at times...they were running too fast to his liking.
bobinator
AG
I have no doubt that when Starks is running the point there are going to be times that we're going too fast.

I am glad that if we're surprisingly good next season though that we already have someone to credit besides Kennedy.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Don't want to be too nit-picky but will it be that surprising if we are good next year? I guess it's all relative to what good means.
bobinator
AG
I think to be "good" you have to be flirting with the top 25, so I'd think it would be pretty surprising. I expect most people not to pick us to make the tournament, and I imagine we'll be picked something like 10th in the SEC.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I have no doubt that when Starks is running the point there are going to be times that we're going too fast.

I am glad that if we're surprisingly good next season though that we already have someone to credit besides Kennedy.
Absolutely, if by miracle we make the 2019 NCAAT, Coach Reynolds will get the TexAgs Wizard of Oz award previously given to Coach Stansbury.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Don't want to be too nit-picky but will it be that surprising if we are good next year? I guess it's all relative to what good means.
I generally fall into this camp:

Good = NCAAT team
Mediocre = NIT team
Bad = No post-season

burlesona
AG
Eh, I guess my bar is a bit higher given the resources we have.

Good = Top 4 in SEC / Contenting for Championship / NCAAT Lock
Okay = 4-8 in SEC / NCAAT Bubble but get in
Bad = Worse than 8th in SEC / miss the NCAAT
expresswrittenconsent
I just cant see us sticking with a 3 heavy, fast paced team through the dregs of an 18 game conf schedule. I see us giving it a try and then around xmas when our first taste of adversity/injury, we fall back to slow, plodding, minimize possessions, play tough defense. I hope it happens, though. It would be fun.
Hop
Staff
AG
burlesona said:

Eh, I guess my bar is a bit higher given the resources we have.

Good = Top 4 in SEC / Contenting for Championship / NCAAT Lock
Okay = 4-8 in SEC / NCAAT Bubble but get in
Bad = Worse than 8th in SEC / miss the NCAAT

Resources compared to......?
_lefraud_
AG
Just based on expenses, anyone not named Kentucky, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, and South Carolina (according to this article based on 2016 numbers).

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/11/17441968/ncaa-revenue-expense-statistics-college-basketball-2016-gonzaga-mid-major

Now, take into account other factors, A&M probably moves ahead of a few of those schools, unless we're counting coaching as a resource .
Gap
AG
Should this year be considered a rebuilding year after losing so much of our core from last year in Tyler Davis, Robert Williams, DJ Hogg, Duane Wilson, and super reserve Tony Trocha-Morelos? I just don't see how we meet the expectations some have outside a miracle season.
Gap
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Just based on expenses, anyone not named Kentucky, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, and South Carolina (according to this article based on 2016 numbers).

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/11/17441968/ncaa-revenue-expense-statistics-college-basketball-2016-gonzaga-mid-major

Now, take into account other factors, A&M probably moves ahead of a few of those schools, unless we're counting coaching as a resource .

So that list includes things like coaches salaries, scholarships, and travel? I'm guessing that was not what Hop was getting at.
expresswrittenconsent
Oh no! We are replacing a "super reserve".

The expectation is that the coach who fails to make the dance over 70% of the time will fail to make the dance. The guy who after 7 years is far below 0.500 in conference play will finish under 0.500 in conference play.
Gap
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Oh no! We are replacing a "super reserve".
What do you want to call Trocha? He was an important member of the team. He played a lot over a lot of years. He started 27 games as a junior averaging 27 minutes per game. As a senior, he got 12 starts and averaged 22 minutes per game.
expresswrittenconsent
It just struck me funny that a 6th/7th man gets special adjectives when we are replacing 3 or 4 starters, including 2 guys who played in front of the reserve. Plus, you know, the current bigs seem most likely to be able to replace what TTM provided, and least likely to come close to providing what TD and RW provided.
bobinator
AG
Trocha leaving does matter in the sense that there's no returning player ready to step in and take the minutes left behind by Tyler Davis and Robert Williams, but he was just an okay player. A team that recruited well year over year should have at least a couple of that level of player on the roster all the time.

I don't get how anyone expects us to replace Tyler Davis, Robert Williams and DJ Hogg and be anything more than a bubble team. Could it happen? Sure, but there are a lot of "ifs" that have to go our way.

expresswrittenconsent
bobinator said:

I don't get how anyone expects us to replace Tyler Davis, Robert Williams and DJ Hogg and be anything more than a bubble team. Could it happen? Sure, but there are a lot of "ifs" that have to go our way.

its gonna be a lot like that crude, idiotic joke that cost clayton williams the governorship.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Trocha leaving does matter in the sense that there's no returning player ready to step in and take the minutes left behind by Tyler Davis and Robert Williams, but he was just an okay player. A team that recruited well year over year should have at least a couple of that level of player on the roster all the time.

Just an okay player? I'd be careful if I were you.
greg.w.h
AG
This might be too pithy of an answer, but Trocha's intangibles likely outweighed his tangibles his senior year.

It reminded me of a church rec league I played in where I got called in to spell a match on their best forward who was a solid 5-6 taller and more athletic to boot. I just ran the floor like a crazy man shadowing him and being a pest for only about three minutes of game time. No scoring, no blocks, he didn't get the ball. Job done. I was the invisible man on the score sheet.
Gap
AG
Trocha was a very important member of the team over several years. One game stands out to me immediately from this past season. We were sitting at 1-5 in conference after beating a bad Ole Miss team at home by 2 points after Ole Miss missed 2 3's in the last 10 seconds of the game that would have given them the win. Next up, we had Missouri at home. We weren't playing with any confidence at all. Missouri is a team that would make the NCAA tourney. Trocha was huge in that comfortable win for us. He was our leading scorer for the game and hit a couple of 3's in the 1st half when the rest of the team was 1-8. He stepped up big time when much of the team was just waiting and looking for something to go wrong.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

I'll say this. People close to the program are saying Reynolds has made a big difference in practice execution and implementation of what they want to do. It sounds like he's pretty aggressive in practice.

Really hope this is true. We have needed an ahole coach on our staff for quite some time. Let BK be the good cop, but someone needs to be the bad cop.
Hop
Staff
AG
greg.w.h said:

This might be too pithy of an answer, but Trocha's intangibles likely outweighed his tangibles his senior year.

It reminded me of a church rec league I played in where I got called in to spell a match on their best forward who was a solid 5-6 taller and more athletic to boot. I just ran the floor like a crazy man shadowing him and being a pest for only about three minutes of game time. No scoring, no blocks, he didn't get the ball. Job done. I was the invisible man on the score sheet.

FYI, he had several critical plays in the UNC game. He wasn't a critical piece to the team, but he was more than window dressing.
greg.w.h
AG
In violent agreement. Just using a personal situation to illustrate that intangibles can be huge and even game-changing.
cevans_40
AG
Trocha will be Michael Jordan by the time this season starts.
_lefraud_
AG
cevans_40 said:

Trocha will be Michael Jordan by the time this season starts.

Well they gotta be about the same age
mazag08
AG
God this board sucks.
bobinator
AG
any particular reason you've decided to share that insightful opinion with us today?
GrayMatter
AG
I'm guessing bc the topic of conversation has steered towards debating the contributions of a role player when there's a multitude of things we could be conversing about.
bobinator
AG
I guess. I just don't see the point of sniping at the board. If you want to complain about the conversation, start a better one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.