Rewatched A&M-UNC Last NIght

5,044 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GE
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I'd forgotten how many critical plays Trocha had in the game. His stat line ended up being just 7 points, but he had a 3-pointer early when A&M was struggling to score. He had 2-3 really nice assists including the long pass to Williams for the windmill slam after a blocked shot. He took a charge call against Berry, and he had a strong post-up move and bucket during the long run late in the 1st half. He didn't rack up a lot of stats, but he seemed to be involved in quite a few momentum plays.

Davis had a great game. He was so much better than anybody UNC had to offer down low. Overall, team had eight blocked shots. Beat UNC by 21 points and still had 14 turnovers. That's hard to believe. Great game to watch again.
8RB8
Agree, interestingly enough, our best games over the course of the season were the ones when Trocha and Hogg showed up and played solid games.
Texagsubscriber
Hogg made the pass for the windmill dunk. Trocha blocked the shot prior to it.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Crazy how the game played out, I think A&M probably loses that game 9 out of 10 times, and this was that 1 time.
Hop
Staff
AG
Texagsubscriber said:

Hogg made the pass for the windmill dunk. Trocha blocked the shot prior to it.
That's correct. I worded that awkwardly. Sorry.
Hop
Staff
AG
Ajm1115 said:

Crazy how the game played out, I think A&M probably loses that game 9 out of 10 times, and this was that 1 time.
I'll disagree with you to some extent. A&M was the more physical team and won the paint. UNC's poor shooting was a result of some bad luck, but also being forced to take 30+ 3-point shots because they were intimidated to force it inside.

I think if A&M played UNC 10 times, they would win five times and UNC would win five times.
hsvag
Totally random but I rewatched that game this weekend too. Only one of the BB games I've still saved, awesome watching an A&M team at the top of its game. Amazing to hear the crowd noise tapering off.
bobinator
AG
The year is 2050, basketball is now played by cyborgs, Hop's great grandson is watching a game and asks "GrandHop, who was the best basketball player you remember from when you were younger?"

Hop blinks once and stares into the distance, a single tear forming in his eye, it's the moment he's been waiting for since the child was born.

"It was an otherwise typical day on June 21, 1994 in Cartagena Colombia, but a baby would be born that day that would change the course of history..."
Hop
Staff
AG
I was doing the recruiting thing w Trocha for a year or so before he landed at A&M. Then the six years at A&M. It's been a long, fruitful journey. I think he married his Aggie sweetheart last weekend. He really enjoyed his time here.

Don't get me wrong though. I still enjoy my Twitter follow of Fabyon. He's up there as one of my favorites. Guy can do wonders with selfies in Kazakhstan.
GE
AG
What's Tonny doing now? Other than honeymooning
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

What's Tonny doing now? Other than honeymooning

His Twitter doesn't reflect he is working on his hoops career, but I don't know.
GE
AG
The guy can play for a long time overseas.
expresswrittenconsent
GE said:

The guy can play for a long time overseas.

He's kinda been doing that for the last 6 yrs.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

Ajm1115 said:

I'll disagree with you to some extent. A&M was the more physical team and won the paint. UNC's poor shooting was a result of some bad luck, but also being forced to take 30+ 3-point shots because they were intimidated to force it inside.

I think if A&M played UNC 10 times, they would win five times and UNC would win five times.
I think beating a Blueblood on a big stage--- even with rare talent advantage... I'd say win that game 3 of 10 times, at best. But that was our night. Michigan game was more of what I expect on a big stage...
bobinator
AG
I agree with the 5 and 5, and maybe even 6/4 if we mean that exact scenario happens ten times in different realities or something. Now, if it's "if we played North Carolina ten times" then I'm more in the 7/3 NC camp.

They were woefully unprepared for our inside game and we forced them into some garbage offense. In a couple of games they get hot from three and win, but I think we win that game at least half of the time.

But if we played them ten times, after the first time they'd pressure the ball a lot more and we'd be in trouble.
Aston04
AG
I do agree Roy Williams did about as poor job as possible scheming for us that night. Horrible.
MMantle
AG
Aston,

Do you ever say anything positive about a Billy Kennedy coached team?

RR
expresswrittenconsent
MMantle said:

Aston,

RR
victim much?
he made 2 posts on the thread, neither mention BK at all, nor imply anything positive or negative about TAMU hoops.
Hop
Staff
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

MMantle said:

Aston,

RR
victim much?
he made 2 posts on the thread, neither mention BK at all, nor imply anything positive or negative about TAMU hoops.

Since y'all went there....his last sentence in his first post certainly implied something negative...but not that big of a deal.
expresswrittenconsent
yeah, i missed the michigan part. you are correct that there was some negativity
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

MMantle said:

Aston,

RR
victim much?

Since y'all went there....his last sentence in his first post certainly implied something negative...but not that big of a dea
Yes, not a big deal. I even said out of 3 of 10 at best, I believe. That's not even necessarily a "dig" - given I believe we were significant underdogs. My other post in THIS THREAD, ripped Roy Williams for his poor game plan (nothing to do with BK).

Yes, talk about being sensitive. Pathetic.
BQ_90
AG
Seemed to me Roy figured his guys would be able to outscore us so he didn't put much into game planning specifically to stop us.
Aston04
AG
It did feel like there was some arrogance in their lack of preparation for us.
Cobra39
Hop said:

Ajm1115 said:

You are kidding me. You got drunk on that game and that real-sugar Coke. The 1 out of 10 thing is pretty close...if not conservative....I will let you go 3 out of 20...at best for the Ags. I will go 4.5 out of 30, 7.5 out of 50 and 15 out of 100.

Cobra39
Pumpkinhead
AG
Cobra39 said:

Hop said:

Ajm1115 said:

You are kidding me. You got drunk on that game and that real-sugar Coke. The 1 out of 10 thing is pretty close...if not conservative....I will let you go 3 out of 20...at best for the Ags. I will go 4.5 out of 30, 7.5 out of 50 and 15 out of 100.

Cobra39
It is kind of hard to buy into 'they would have beaten us 9 out of 10 times...and we just lucked out that the 10% scenario happened' theory when we emphatically kicked their ass and made the fat lady sing and their bench and fans start crying by the time of the second media timeout in the 2nd half.

We won by 21 points. UNC led with about 12 minutes remaining in the first half by a score of 18-13. Over the next 20 minutes of the game, A&M outscored UNC by 47-20 to lead 60-36 with about 12 minutes left in the game.

That kind of complete ass whupping - in Charlotte no less - UNC getting hammered by -27 point difference in a half's worth of play - that can't be totally explained away as 'luck' or 'lack of preparation' by the Tar Heels. Clearly there was a major mismatch advantage that the Aggies had to bend UNC over and spank them like that. And it is pretty obvious that mismatch was in the front court where the Aggies had a clear talent/size/length advantage.

So, if we played 9 more times, is UNC going to overcome A&M superior front court 9 straight times and go 9-0? Seems super unlikely. I think A&M winning 5-6 times total is more likely, based on what we saw in that one single game and how the matchups played out.

Hop
Staff
AG
Cobra39 said:

Hop said:

Ajm1115 said:

Cobra39

That game was not a fluke. A&M's numbers were not crazy. They were good, but not like it was a once in a lifetime performance like Rob Williams knocking down four 3- pointers or Starks having a turnover-free game. A&M was the more physical, more dominant team. A&M's bigs forced UNC to shoot 30 3-pointers and yes they were cold. But A&M was the better team.

You must have been sniffing freshly screened numbers from a new Alouettes jersey or something if you thought that result was a fluke.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If somebody wanted to make the case that down 12 points with 40 seconds left, A&M would have lost 9 out of 10 times that NCAA game vs UNI game back in 2016...I'd totally agree with them. Heck, I totally agree with a poster who felt we'd have lost that game 99 out of a 100 times. The last 40 seconds of that game was fluky as hell the way it worked out perfectly for A&M.

But that North Carolina game where A&M so clearly dominated the crap out of them? Saying that was a '1 or even just 3 out of 10 times' win? That is really hard to buy into given the clear matchup problems the Tar Heels had.

Look, we all know A&M was in reality a team with the talent of a #2 or #3 seed NCAA tournament team who was coming in as a #7 seed largely due to self-inflicted knucklehead crap during conference play and injury problems. They showed up in Charlotte, saw North Carolina over on those jerseys, and were ready that day to pound sand up the rear-end of a blue blood school in front of their own fans, a Tar Heel team that actually probably had less overall roster talent than the Aggies had.

Then after leaving Charlotte, they probably got all fat and happy and content with themselves which was par for the course for that bunch and here comes Michigan.
Gap
AG
It was a great win. I need a stronger adjective as it was better than great. It was one of the best all-time for us. It was not expected - especially in Charlotte. If it was November or December on a neutral court with Duane Wilson healthy and high expectations for Hogg and Caldwell still out there, I would have felt better about the talent match up. After the draft, we know that we had a late 1st round pick on the team in Williams who has upside and athleticism but is still putting all the physical and mental things together. Davis and Hogg went undrafted but are certainly good players. Starks was the 3rd team PG just a couple of months earlier and was the only option after the Wilson season-ending injury and Caldwell being kicked off. He really stepped up. Roy Williams is a revered name and has every advantage coaching at blue-blood North Carolina but Billy Kennedy kicked his tail on that day. It was Williams worst ever NCAA tournament loss and it occurred in his home state. Heading into the game, UNC was 34-1 in NCAA tournament games all-time in the state of North Carolina, and 12-0 in Charlotte. The lone loss came to Penn in Raleigh in 1979. North Carolina was a 7 point favorite.

Enjoy it. No need to downplay it. Revel in that day. It was special.

miller0926
AG
On tonight as well. We recorded it the first time but it only made it to about the 7 minute mark so we didn't even get the windmill. Can't wait to watch it again.
expresswrittenconsent
look at candy ass luke maye crying like a little beech.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
How many of you thought A&M would win before the game? How many of you thought A&M would win that way?
Bayside Tiger Ag
My favorite Aggie basketball win of all time. Was in Charlotte for that game. Love it when the blue devils beat 'em, but it's so much sweeter to see our underdog Ags take it to 'em in their home state.

Believe this game is on SEC network right now for anyone who missed it. I think it started at 9pm ET.
Method Man
Ajm1115 said:

How many of you thought A&M would win before the game? How many of you thought A&M would win that way?

Did you think either?
alamoaggie 64
I was watching Williams and Hogg play lights out and kept thinking, "what if..."
DukeMu
We Tonight!

Williams, Davis, Hogg, Trocha, and because of injury Wilson. That's a lot of talent we have to make up. If we make the NCAAs, it will be a good accomplishment. Too many parts to fit together at the same time.

It's a game where we finally lived up to our potential as an Elite 8/Final Four team. What could have been...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.