NBA's One-And-Done Rule Looking Likely Gone Starting 2021 Draft

2,936 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by greg.w.h
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Iowaggie said:

I would think it is the next logical step. Plus it is already done with players who play one sport being allowed to come back and play another (Brandon Weeden).
Anyone who has ever called for players to be paid and/or cited the Olympic model for paying players would have to be open to the idea. Why limit a player's earning potential?

The justification that "it's never been done that way" isn't a good enough reason to not do it.

It's why I understand why the NCAA would hold the line on not paying S-A at all. Once it's done in any way, it opens a lot of other changes in the system.
What? Are you saying we can't start letting guys make money because it opens the door for players who can't hack it in the NBA anymore to come back to college?

That's a wild slippery slope argument.

Now you are restricting someone from making money.
These aren't amateurs anymore.

The Olympic Model suggestion that some have suggested doesn't restrict who can compete or for how long. What makes 4 seasons a logical barrier to competition

I think that once players receive pay it opens a lot of doors.

bobinator
AG
"It opens a lot of doors" is a crazy slippery slope argument because they already receive scholarships. By the same logic once they started receiving scholarships it "opened a lot of doors."

This is one of the weirder arguments I think I've heard. "If you start letting players sign money for autographs, next thing you know you're going to have to have 40-year old former NBA stars ballin' in the college ranks.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't think it's that weird of an argument. Right now, you don't have nba washouts playing college basketball bc they don't get paid. If you paid college athletes, then you better believe anyone with eligibility who couldn't hack it in the nba or a big euro league would be wanting to play college basketball.

I'm not saying college athletes shouldn't get paid something, but paying them does cause issues that scholarships don't.
bobinator
AG
I guess it depends on how much they're getting paid and how exactly they're paying players. But thy could just make a rule that says if you've played professionally anywhere, you're ineligible to play college basketball.

Like I've said on other threads though, I still think the solution is a lot simpler if you just let guys get paid for their image/likeness etc. If you did that the current eligibility rules would still hold.
greg.w.h
AG
The Olympics compromise would provide very uneven endorsements revenue and likely can't pass NCAA muster because of that. The commitment to faux amateurism last played out in international tennis (as I've posted before.)

It's a loser for the NCAA...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.