Rob on defense at A&M

6,575 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
woodometer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When asked at practice about the Celtics style of defense. "At A&M I felt like it was a select few people who wanted to strive on defense and wanted to give 100 percent on defense."

KBTX Story

bobinator
AG
Wait. Are you saying our whole team didn't give 100% all the time? THIS IS NEW INFORMATION.
Aston04
AG
A quote like that from a former player is always noteworthy, even if our coaching expectations are really low. That's pathetic.
mallen
AG
For not having given 100% on defense, the Aggies ended up with a pretty dang good defensive team last season, ranked #14 on KenPom.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE
Pumpkinhead
AG
woodometer said:

When asked at practice about the Celtics style of defense. "At A&M I felt like it was a select few people who wanted to strive on defense and wanted to give 100 percent on defense."

KBTX Story

Given that there were several guys (Duane Wilson, Admon Gilder, Tyler Davis, etc) on last season's team who appeared to consistently give more effort on defense that Robert Williams did last season...I'm kind of not impressed with his comment. Would have been more impressed if he had said something like 'I didn't always give 100% effort on defense in college, but know I can't do that here in Boston given my primary role on the Celtics is going to be catch lobs and play hard defense. That's pretty much all that I'll be expected to do. So if I'm not giving 100% at all times on defense on this team, then I'll be unplayable'.
MMantle
AG
Agree with Pump, RW was the most blatant offender, he's one to talk.

RR
Seven Costanza
AG
Doing defensive drills with the Celtics:

Coach yells, "Step it up, Rob. You're not at Texas A&M anymore. Everybody has to work on defense."

Rob: Hmm, I guess he means some of my teammates weren't working on defense at A&M.

cedar
bad coaches or i should say hc
Hop
Staff
AG
Tobias Funke said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Look how quickly the cockroaches come out to defend their precious messiah Billy and blame their fellow Aggie.

Who the hell here is defending Kennedy? You're the first person in the thread to even reference him. Some of you guys have a ridiculous chip on your shoulder, like this is personal for you.

Business as usual for some posters.

FYI, on another note, A&M basketball has averaged No. 60 in the nation in defensive efficiency over the past three seasons. Not great, but decent defense. So the outrage over the defense is another manufactured response to drive the narrative. Defense in general hasn't been this program's issue. It's been on the offensive end where the team has historically struggled to keep up where they've averaged No. 101 in offensive efficiency over the past three seasons..

woodometer
AG
I posted Rob's comments because I thought it was an interesting perspective coming from a player that most would agree didnt give 100% himself all last season. I also think that clearly last years team had a chemistry problem that some teams have and probably explains why some players chose to move on. We see this across all sports and as a head coach I am sure it is beyond frustrating when you have a team like that.
_lefraud_
AG
When times have been bad (losing streaks, missing postseason, not showing up for a game) some people will argue that Kennedy is a "good" defensive coach. As you pointed out, defense hasn't been "great" but it definitely hasn't been bad or even below average. But again, when people are unhappy with Kennedy's coaching, some like to combat that with arguing how "good" he is at defense. But it's tough to see that when last year's team gave up 94, 93, and 81 points in three straight games.

As most things with Kennedy, I think Kennedy gets what he gets from his initial scheme and athleticism from his roster. If that doesn't "work" from out of the gate, he has a hard time coaching from timeout to timeout, which includes substitutions, timeouts and adjustments.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

Tobias Funke said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Look how quickly the cockroaches come out to defend their precious messiah Billy and blame their fellow Aggie.

Who the hell here is defending Kennedy? You're the first person in the thread to even reference him. Some of you guys have a ridiculous chip on your shoulder, like this is personal for you.

Business as usual for some posters.

FYI, on another note, A&M basketball has averaged No. 60 in the nation in defensive efficiency over the past three seasons. Not great, but decent defense. So the outrage over the defense is another manufactured response to drive the narrative. Defense in general hasn't been this program's issue. It's been on the offensive end where the team has historically struggled to keep up where they've averaged No. 101 in offensive efficiency over the past three seasons..

in fairness, our defense prob is somewhat propped up by our offensive efficiency being bad. less points needed to beat us = teams hitting the brakes offensively.
agtrevino07
greg.w.h
AG
If I recall correctly, Gillispie, Turgeon, and Kennedy all have emphasized defense and often commentators mention that our game plan often works by the first team to 60 winning.

Both Turgeon and Kennedy mentioned uptempo styles of play on offense especially in transition, but the combination of the defense not producing turnovers limited transition baskets. We have seen that offensive style against less athletic teams which also suggests it's only something we can break out when we have a step on the defense.

While RW wasn't a great all around defender, his athleticism allowed him to do moderately successful rim protection which in a word is "fun." I take his comment to mean he's having to work hard to get any defensive traction in summer league. Bonus points if his HC views this as a tear down project and is really focusing him on responding to specific, precise coaching since I don't know how much of that RW has had to do in the past.
BrandoC
AG
This is a pretty unsettling statement coming from one of the guys who would give piss poor effort by barley trotting back down the court. Good shot blocker, but one on one defense and all the time effort was not his fortay.
bobinator
AG
_lefraud_ said:

When times have been bad (losing streaks, missing postseason, not showing up for a game) some people will argue that Kennedy is a "good" defensive coach. As you pointed out, defense hasn't been "great" but it definitely hasn't been bad or even below average. But again, when people are unhappy with Kennedy's coaching, some like to combat that with arguing how "good" he is at defense. But it's tough to see that when last year's team gave up 94, 93, and 81 points in three straight games.

As most things with Kennedy, I think Kennedy gets what he gets from his initial scheme and athleticism from his roster. If that doesn't "work" from out of the gate, he has a hard time coaching from timeout to timeout, which includes substitutions, timeouts and adjustments.
Last year's defense was really good, and it was elite at times. Yeah, there were some bad games, with all of the injuries and suspensions you'd expect that, but it was still a really good defense overall no matter how you want to look at it.

Specifically last year we had problems when a team had multiple shooters, especially if one of them was a big. But I'd say finishing in the top 20 in defense is bordering on "great."

But Robert Williams saying we had an effort problem on defense would be like Kyle Allen saying we had a problem throwing interceptions. Like... yeah bud, you were a big part of the problem.
_lefraud_
AG
We just don't ever know what we will see night in and night out. Last year's team gave up 93 points to a "meh" MissSt team AT home, which came right after giving up 94 at Arky. Both games had everyone available (other than Wilson). Regardless, Kennedy has all the tools (on the court) to be good or even great, but he just struggles to get the most from said tools on a nightly basis.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

We just don't ever know what we will see night in and night out. Last year's team gave up 93 points to a "meh" MissSt team AT home, which came right after giving up 94 at Arky. Both games had everyone available (other than Wilson). Regardless, Kennedy has all the tools (on the court) to be good or even great, but he just struggles to get the most from said tools on a nightly basis.

Everyone available? You mean other than the two point guards who were supposed to run the team and the veteran shooting guard that was a step slow several weeks coming off mid-season knee surgery.

The team was borderline quick enough on the perimeter to apply on-ball defensive pressure before losing Wilson and Caldwell. Add a Gimpy Gilder and a slow-footed Hogg at wing, and the resources weren't there.

If you ask me, the criticism should be on the make-up of the team and relying on graduate transfers year after year to patch deficiencies in the recruitment of high school talent. And more specifically last year, investing more than two years in a roster spot for a point guard that was unreliable with a risky background.

When there was adequate perimeter play in 2016, A&M was a Top 25 defensive team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Despite the many criticisms, Texas A&M basketball still had the 4th most total conference wins in the SEC (out of 14 teams) over the past 4 years. With one NIT and two NCAA appearances. The top 4 in total conference game wins summed over the past 4 seasons were #1: Kentucky, #2: Arkansas, #3: Florida, #4 Texas A&M. Which has been the polarizing nature of the Kennedy era. Some frustrating issues, yet has managed to win just enough - compared to his average peer - to keep the era going.

Note that #5 in total SEC wins the past 4 seasons (Georgia at 37 wins compared to Texas A&M with 41) wasn't good enough to keep Fox from getting fired.

We'll see if Kennedy manages to keep his win total above the red line, with so many question marks regarding next year's roster.
BMOC86
AG
I always refused to call Hogg by his first initials, D was never in his vocabulary or mindset
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

The team was borderline quick enough on the perimeter to apply on-ball defensive pressure before losing Wilson and Caldwell.

When I think defense, Caldwell is the first guy that comes to mind
bmart97
AG
The most damning of BK's offenses.
alamoaggie 64
Sounds like with Kennedy one can give 100% or not, play defense or not, it's all okay.
mhayden
It all comes down to where time is better spent... It's like how you don't want your power hitters in MLB really spending a lot of time on bunting.

I'm sure Rob realized his time was best spent on fine tuning his 3-point shot instead of defense.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Only was able to play 6 minutes in summer league. Due to tendinitis, Celtics holding him out. Says he had issues with this tendinitis since February of this year.

wacarnolds
AG
Tendinitis and an artery issue? Hope Rob can get healthy.

Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Tendinitis and an artery issue? Hope Rob can get healthy.

I remember either hearing in a podcast, or reading in an article, shortly after the NBA draft, that there was a health issue with Robert that (along with the maturity/motor concerns) may have also factored into his draft drop.

This must be that issue. From the sound of it, not a super serious concern - though an issue with his knee was problematic enough to sink his NBA Summer League participation right out the gate. Also does not sound like that an issue that is ever going to go away and could eventually get worse.

Quote:

A source described the condition as, "not too serious." It could, however, require a procedure if it were to degenerate down the line.

Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES), the vascular disease Williams has been dealing with, is found most often in athletes. Because of where the muscles and tendons around Williams' knee are positioned, they end up compressing the "popliteal artery," the main one behind the knee, restricting blood flow to the lower leg. It can lead to cramping and calf pain during exercise, per Johns Hopkins Medicine.

NBA teams, including the Celtics, were aware of Williams' condition at the time of the draft -- as was Texas A&M, where Williams went to college. The rookie has been playing with the condition for years, sources told MassLive. The L.A. Clippers' doctors performed his predraft physical and disseminated results to other organizations upon request, standard procedure for a prospect. The Celtics have also done their own physicals on Williams.

The team will regularly monitor his PAES. There are no signs at this time of it getting any worse than it's previously been, per multiple sources.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Also, a problem with his mouth !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
txag72
AG
Well, one of them was damn sure Hogg. Seeing how we only had 7 maybe 8 players by the end of the season, that doesn't leave many to blame.
Aston04
AG
alamoaggie 64 said:

Sounds like with Kennedy one can give 100% or not, play defense or not, it's all okay.
It appears the discipline method of BK is bench/suspensions/kick off the team. And if you are good enough, you will keep playing, even if you lack hustle at times (ex: Robert literally walking to a ball).

BK will not give even a modest butt chewing when something happens to teach immediately (not in practice, it seems, or at the game)...

Robert was still a beast on defense despite this- but could have been better. Tyler and Admon will work their butts off for anyone. So we were still good, at least statistically, on defense last year. This year will be interesting.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Logan was on Belina's show yesterday, and said that the new coach hire Reynolds had a much different coaching style and seemed to be a major player in the practice. Specifically mentioned that he was teaching guys how to set proper screens, and that at least one player mentioned they felt that had already learned more about screen setting with Reynolds than they had all last year . That he was very energetic in the practice and barking at guys (despite being 60+ in age). Logan said when he walked into the gym, Reynolds voice was the first one that he heard yelling at guys.

Besides Coach Reynolds, They also spent some time talking about Logan's impressions of some of the new guys. If you want to listen yourself, go here and it is in July 11th Hour 1 of the Louis Belina Show.

http://www.zone1150.com/louie-belina-show-podcasts/

bobinator
AG

Quote:

at least one player mentioned they felt that had already learned more about screen setting with Reynolds than they had all last year .

That was probably true the moment they learned one thing about screen setting.

This isn't directed at you, because I appreciate the info, and it's not really directed at Logan, because I'm sure he's being honest and what he sees is what he sees. But call me skeptical that a guy who wasn't even a full on assistant coach at Virginia Tech is going to impact our program much.
_lefraud_
AG
Remarkable
hoya-ag
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
hoya-ag said:

Personally, I can't speak poorly of anyone who misplaced their wallet twice in a month.

I'm one of those poor souls that is really bad at that sort of thing.

Some highlights of my own career:

-When I graduated from Texas A&M, the issue number on my A&M Student ID card was #11. Because, yes, I lost my Student ID card 10 times while in College Station.

- My wife has bought and given me new sunglasses for approximately 10 of my 13 birthdays that we've been together. Because I had lost my sunglasses and needed a new pair. In the rare year that I didn't lost my sunglasses in the previous 12 months, she has seemed to git a bit flummoxed deciding what to buy for me. Perhaps the funniest way that I lost a pair of sunglasses was went to the movie theatre and watched a movie in 3D. Had my sunglasses with me, but after the movie was done while exiting the theatre instead of dropping the 3D glasses into the Return Box, I dropped in my personal pair. Never to be seen again by the time I realized the mistake and tried to recover.

- Once, I placed my wallet on the top of my car (in my mid-twenties), got in my car and drove away. Got home sometime later and realized my wallet was missing. Had a vision of putting it on top of my car. Drove back retracing the several miles of road that I had traveled...luckily eventually found the wallet laying in the middle of a street.

- Before I switched to working from home full time (this was my mid to late twenties), the office building that I worked at had an ATM right across the street that I typically used. Now...this particular ATM had a devilish design for a daydreamer like myself...who was often thinking about some software design or other work problem...anything but paying attention to the functional procedure of an ATM. It would take your card inside the machine, you'd enter the PIN and then the cash amount, it would give you the cash and then AFTER you took the cash out of the ATM...then it would try to give your card back. Of course, as soon as I got the cash, well probably 9 times of 10 if nobody was waiting behind me to wake me up, I simply took off happy as a clam without waiting for my card. After beeping for several seconds, the machine would eat the card and then you'd have to later go inside the building of the attached bank and speak to someone to get your card back. I had to do this again, and again, and again. So often that usually when I walked in, no words had to be spoken.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.