Tyler Davis gets summer league invite from Nets

7,771 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by greg.w.h
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Explanation of Exhibit 10 contracts:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract.html
expresswrittenconsent
Thx
Hop
Staff
AG
So I'm not sure I have this completely but I'll try.

Basically, Davis was given a signing bonus that guarantees that he won't go off overseas and will stick around and play on the G-League affiliate. It also gives Davis the ability to earn a two-way contract with the big club during preseason practices and workouts which technically could lead to a standard contract.

But it sounds like the exhibit 10 essentially gives the team more time to evaluate the player in preseason workouts that could realistically lead to a two-way deal. Sound correct?
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

So I'm not sure I have this completely but I'll try.

Basically, Davis was given a signing bonus that guarantees that he won't go off overseas and will stick around and play on the G-League affiliate. It also gives Davis the ability to earn a two-way contract with the big club during preseason practices and workouts which technically could lead to a standard contract.

But it sounds like the exhibit 10 essentially gives the team more time to evaluate the player in preseason workouts that could realistically lead to a two-way deal. Sound correct?

Sounds like it, by giving Davis an incentive to go to training camp with the Nets rather than going to Europe or signing to go to training camp with another NBA team.
Conner4real
AG
Pretty much. It's a non guaranteed contract that can be converted into a 2 way contract down the road. Just gives the nets some added flexibility with the roster as right now he counts towards that 15 man roster, but as of last year or maybe 2 years ago, you're allowed to have 2 2 way contract players to make 17 players total.

I don't think it gives the Nets his bird rights though so Tyler should be a UFA next summer.
greg.w.h
AG
The off-season roster size has expanded from 15 to 20 as well. Not clear if there are an additional two spots for two-ways or "just" 20. Tyler by signing the Exhibit 10 might be considered in a better position than a two-way with a possibility of making the full roster with the league minimum plus the opportunity for a bonus that could be fulfilled on the G League even as a two-way signee.

I suspect both parties want Tyler to stay stateside. Big men traditionally got better development in the NBA. But smallish 5s are even more of a non-trend than pure back-to-the-basket-with-no-meaningful-shot stretch 4s. He has to develop an offensive game to play 4 or more althleticism to play the 5. Sheer strength might sub for athleticism of the vertical variety, I guess, though we didn't see that last year from him or at least not at an NBA level.

I'm very glad he's getting the opportunity to work onto a team. It's a good reward for all the hard work he's done over the past few years.
Hop
Staff
AG
Forbritisheyesonly said:

Pretty much. It's a non guaranteed contract that can be converted into a 2 way contract down the road. Just gives the nets some added flexibility with the roster as right now he counts towards that 15 man roster, but as of last year or maybe 2 years ago, you're allowed to have 2 2 way contract players to make 17 players total.

I don't think it gives the Nets his bird rights though so Tyler should be a UFA next summer.

The signing bonus is guaranteed as long as he stays through camp or waived.
Faustus
Quote:

There's another scenario in which that undrafted rookie who signs an Exhibit 10 deal with the Knicks would receive his $50K. Exhibit 10 contracts can be converted into two-way contracts, so if New York opted to do that before the season begins, the $50K bonus would turn into a salary guarantee for the player. As soon as his contract becomes a two-way deal, he's entitled to that bonus, even if the Knicks waive him a week later.
This language is a little vague. Does "the $50k bonus would turn into a salary guarantee for the player" language mean that if he gets a two way contract, that $50k is just considered part of the $75k salary he could earn, but it's guaranteed? If so, that kind of sucks.
greg.w.h
AG
More color on two-way and exhibit 10. Note two-ways are counted in the 20 expanded roster prior to the season but count separately as two additional roster slots without cap impact above 15 in season.

Bird rights accumulate for GL and can only sign a one-year two way or GL for a player entering his third season.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9

The E10 bonus is for conversion to GL affiliate contract and apparently there is a limit of five GL affiliate players. It does not apply to NBA or two-way contracts if this article is a complete picture:

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/9/28/16378350/confused-by-two-day-deals-and-whats-an-exhibit-10
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

We got our money's worth?
On the day we signed some particular recruit, if I told you with my amazing Crystal Ball that 'Hey Method, this recruit that we just signed will be a starter logging significant minutes on 2 NCAA Sweet Sixteen teams, and he won't even stay 4 full years in College Station' I'm sure you'd walk away thinking that sounded like a pretty good deal.

It was a joke based on the implication that he was paid, literal man.
I get it now
Iowaggie
AG
Faustus
I guess he either didn't sign the New Jersey Ex. 10 contract, or it was transferred to OKC and converted to the two way contract?
greg.w.h
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/thunders-tyler-davis-gets-two-way-deal-from-okc/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.