Tyler Davis gets summer league invite from Nets

7,741 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by greg.w.h
txjortsagent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shoulda stayed
Aggie09Derek
AG
Yeah, well, like that's your like, your opinion, man.
_lefraud_
AG
Why, so he could get a summer league invite from the Wizards after going undrafted next year?
txjortsagent
AG
argumentative and speculative
MarcAg
AG
Well everybody knew he wasn't going to get drafted when he left. So not sure the draft really changed anything on if he should have stayed or not.
_lefraud_
AG
txjortsagent said:

argumentative and speculative

Agreed, your OP is speculative and argumentative.
GrayMatter
AG
txjortsagent said:

Shoulda stayed
something doesn't smell right when he decided to forego his senior season.
txjortsagent
AG
Lefraud hates us so much, he's happy our best player is gone
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

Well everybody knew he wasn't going to get drafted when he left. So not sure the draft really changed anything on if he should have stayed or not.
Just from a pure basketball standpoint, seemed like he was what he was at this point as a college basketball player. Hard to imagine there was much more in terms of physical development that could have taken place, he'd already been a beast the past three years reforming his body, and he'd have played at the 5 with a similar role as the past few years. Would have been one of the best post players in college basketball and padded his career stats, but in terms of his NBA draft stock, sure seems like the only difference would have been that he'd been a year older undrafted FA.
Method Man
If he had a better coach he might shoot jumpers better which is what he would need to have a shot. That said, it's on him too to fix his jumper.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

If he had a better coach he might shoot jumpers better which is what he would need to have a shot. That said, it's on him too to fix his jumper.
he needs to have a shot to have a shot
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Agree that if he had a nice jumper that would presumably be a help (who wouldn't be helped by a nice jumper?). He was a great college center and a starter on two NCAA Sweet Sixteen teams. He is actually the only A&M player in history who has ever started on two Sweet Sixteen NCAA teams (maybe a good trivia question there). A&M got their money's worth out of Tyler. But he doesn't seem to fit well the mold of today's current NBA big.

Method Man
We got our money's worth?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

On the day we signed some particular recruit, if I told you with my amazing Crystal Ball that 'Hey Method, this recruit that we just signed will be a starter logging significant minutes on 2 NCAA Sweet Sixteen teams, and he won't even stay 4 full years in College Station' I'm sure you'd walk away thinking that sounded like a pretty good deal.
mhayden
He wasn't interested in staying another season under this staff. As Marc said, it came as a shock to no one that he wasn't drafted. And it didn't really come as a shock to many when he announced he was leaving. Writing had been on the wall for months but many just didn't want to see it.
Gap
AG
He wanted to make some good money instead of Sweet 16's. Good luck Tyler.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

On the day we signed some particular recruit, if I told you with my amazing Crystal Ball that 'Hey Method, this recruit that we just signed will be a starter logging significant minutes on 2 NCAA Sweet Sixteen teams, and he won't even stay 4 full years in College Station' I'm sure you'd walk away thinking that sounded like a pretty good deal.

It was a joke based on the implication that he was paid, literal man.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

It was a joke based on the implication that he was paid, literal man.
Ah...well, if so, then yes...both figuratively and literally if that was the case...A&M got their money's worth out of Tyler Davis. Really good career here that worked out well both ways and wish him the best. No doubt in my mind that he'll make a good living playing professional hoops even if overseas.
Method Man
Yes. Pretty sure Tyler was good. Thanks for sharing.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
free_mhayden said:

He wasn't interested in staying another season under this staff. As Marc said, it came as a shock to no one that he wasn't drafted. And it didn't really come as a shock to many when he announced he was leaving. Writing had been on the wall for months but many just didn't want to see it.
It's always about the staff, huh? lol nothing to do with the guy wanting to kick start the process and actually get paid for playing basketball.
cedar
he didn't want anymore of kennedy.
expresswrittenconsent
Ajm1115 said:

free_mhayden said:

It's always about the staff, huh? lol nothing to do with the guy wanting to kick start the process and actually get paid for playing basketball.

I mean maybe it was the players. Maybe he was tired of being on a team that had 8 different players suspended for disciplinary issues last year. But that's still program culture and ultimately on the coach.
DukeMu
It's going to be tough this year without Tyler.

I wish him the best. Sometimes it's better to seek free agency than have an unguaranteed contract as a 2nd round selection.

Any news re: Hogg? Euroleague I would assume will be his destination.
expresswrittenconsent
DukeMu said:

I wish him the best. Sometimes it's better to seek free agency than have an unguaranteed contract as a 2nd round selection.

I wonder on both of them. I have to think they both saw their teammates Jalen, Caruso, and House have success in the G league parlayed into NBA minutes and will give that a shot for a season before maybe deciding whether to continue here pursuing NBA riches or going to Europe and making a lot more than the G league plays.
DukeMu
expresswrittenconsent said:

DukeMu said:

I wonder on both of them. I have to think they both saw their teammates Jalen, Caruso, and House have success in the G league parlayed into NBA minutes and will give that a shot for a season before maybe deciding whether to continue here pursuing NBA riches or going to Europe and making a lot more than the G league plays.

DJ is evidently playing for the Pelicans in the summer league.

https://gigemgazette.com/2018/06/29/dj-hogg-pelicans-nba-summer-league/

Yeah, the G-League pays just pocket change, while Euroball salaries are pretty generous while traveling the continent.

I think Caruso will stay with the Lakers...although the Clips would be a good fit. Jerry West loves guys like Caruso with a head for the game.

_lefraud_
AG
G-league is more attractive now for guys under the age of 25, with the possibility of a two-way contract and making 75k for 5 months work. However, the "safer" play would be in Europe for sure.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ajm1115 said:

free_mhayden said:

Seems pretty unlikely that this particular decision had anything to do personally with Billy Kennedy. Tyler was always gushing about BK and Darby and so forth in interviews. And the guy had a really successful college career going to two Sweet Sixteens with tons of playing time. Not saying 0% chance because I'm not in his head, just on the surface seems pretty unlikely.

Far more likely reason in my opinion was he evaluated his situation and concluded one more year of college had little chance to significantly raise his pro career stock (even if he had a good college season), so he got the ball rolling.
DukeMu
_lefraud_ said:

G-league is more attractive now for guys under the age of 25, with the possibility of a two-way contract and making 75k for 5 months work. However, the "safer" play would be in Europe for sure.
With restructuring, what % of G-League players get 2-ways? Worked for Caruso, who is close to making the permanent lineup.

Aston04
AG
Quote:

Tyler was always gushing about BK and Darby and so forth in interviews.
Tyler is all class and will never rip his current coach in the media, ever. Crazy to draw any conclusions from his public comments.
_lefraud_
AG
Each NBA team can have 2 players on the two-way contract, but I'd imagine some teams don't do two (or any). 26 teams at 10 players a team, 2 per team on the two-way is 10%. So yea, if I was a player like Hogg, I'd head over to Europe...but my guess is he sticks around the G-league for a couple of seasons first.
greg.w.h
AG
The two two-way contracts each team is allowed act like 16th and 17th roster spots. But many agents are wary of them. Pay is $75,000 for G League annual pay with the possibility of up to 45 days (a bit more than half the season) of club's discretion play at the NBA level.

Ran into this article that helps explain:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/7/18/15985262/nba-two-way-contract-2017-summer-league-agents-worried-about-them

I would be surprised if any of the 30 NBA clubs avoid signing two two-way players unless the guys they offer just don't accept due to agent suggestion otherwise.
jja79
AG
Share your inside info please.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
The mental gymnastics some of you all go through to try and pin everything on the coaching staff is astonishing.
mhayden
I dont think anyone has said Tyler's decision was completely on the staff. Some of you get so caught up in taking a side that you don't bother to even read what you are arguing against.
94chem
Tyler is a very similar player to Kennedy Meeks. Meeks returned to UNC his senior year, won a national championship, and didn't get drafted. Apparently Tyler thought he was going someplace better than he was leaving.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.