ESPN Comment on RW

5,781 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
USAFLT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"RW is the best lob player in the draft and Texas A&M rolled him to the basket a total of 9 times last year". That's damming commentary on national TV. I hope we can change the narrative because recruits listen to this.

Matsui
AG
And his spotty effort.
Leander - Ag
AG
BK
jja79
AG
Matsui said:

And his spotty effort.

This.
bobinator
AG
Of all the things to pick up the pitchforks for with BK this is a really bizarre one.
USAFLT
AG
I didn't even mention BK. I just think we have to change the narrative.
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

Of all the things to pick up the pitchforks for with BK this is a really bizarre one.

He shot more 3 pointers than he had rolls to the hoop. I don't think it's bizarre at all to wonder Wtf we were doing. I get that the offense went through Tyler a lot and he sorta played out of position at the 4 but that's just talent mismanagement when you have someone like Rob who can go up and grab virtually anything.
_lefraud_
AG
I get what you're saying, as it is REALLY specific, but it doesn't look very good on national TV during draft night for BK or the program.

But getting a roll to the basket one time for every three or so games is pretty ridiculous.
wacarnolds
AG
Robert was playing like 10-15 mpg without Tyler on the court, so I think it's fair to question if we should have done more in the PNR. But we have to set the worst picks/screens in the nation, so it's not surprising that it wasn't a part of our game.
TyperWoods
Fair comment, although he rolled more than 9....they just didn't get him the ball the others (sometimes justifiably)
DukeMu
USAFLT said:

"RW is the best lob player in the draft and Texas A&M rolled him to the basket a total of 9 times last year". That's damming commentary on national TV. I hope we can change the narrative because recruits listen to this.

That's devastating. We should have pounded the ball inside all freakin' game long. Might have saved Wilson and injury. That was a classic UNC-like inside-out team. there was never a reason for our guards to dribble drive to the bucket, unless they mad space with 3 or playing Davis at the high post.
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

Robert was playing like 10-15 mpg without Tyler on the court, so I think it's fair to question if we should have done more in the PNR. But we have to set the worst picks/screens in the nation, so it's not surprising that it wasn't a part of our game.
A&M's ball screens, PNR, etc were terrible this year. There's just no excuse for it.
DukeMu
Bunk Moreland said:

bobinator said:

He shot more 3 pointers than he had rolls to the hoop. I don't think it's bizarre at all to wonder Wtf we were doing. I get that the offense went through Tyler a lot and he sorta played out of position at the 4 but that's just talent mismanagement when you have someone like Rob who can go up and grab virtually anything.

Ouch.
Tobias Funke
AG
Suddenly everyone on this board cares about a "rolls to the basket" season count that I've literally never heard discussed about any player at any level before
expresswrittenconsent
People care about the negative way our program was discussed during the NBA draft, not about your awareness of how many lob dunks RW had last year.
pdaddy
AG
And which one of our super point guards were going to lob the pass?
Jumbo Fister
AG
Dont have stats, but I feel like we were doing fine in that regard with Wilson starting. When he was injured and Starks got the job, we didn't really look for Williams as much.
PatAg
AG
Desk said:

Dont have stats, but I feel like we were doing fine in that regard with Wilson starting. When he was injured and Starks got the job, we didn't really look for Williams as much.
I think a lot of his lobs were coming from the weakside, not him in the pick and roll.
Jumbo Fister
AG
Oh yeah, I think you're right. It's been a while.
Pumpkinhead
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

People care about the negative way our program was discussed during the NBA draft, not about your awareness of how many lob dunks RW had last year.

Sure, though several college programs seemed to get some similar comments of 'the college scheme didn't allow or show what the player could potentially be'' variety. They talked about how Miller insisted on playing Ayton with another 7 footer , how Kentucky had a poorly constructed roster emphasizing athletes but not enough shooters, etc...

The suspensions and injuries were more damaging to our win-loss record IMO than how many pick and rolls we ran. The numerous suspensions were simply inexcusable.

In the end, it seems like it may have really worked out well for Robert. Obviously Brad Stevens is just about the best coach on the planet and Robert will get a chance to get Rings right off the bat.
Bunk Moreland
Pumpkinhead said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Sure, though several college programs seemed to get some similar comments of 'the college scheme didn't allow or show what the player could potentially be'' variety. They talked about how Miller insisted on playing Ayton with another 7 footer , how Kentucky had a poorly constructed roster emphasizing athletes but not enough shooters, etc...

And? This isn't an Arizona or Kentucky board. And I'd probably be a lot less annoyed to just see a stat like that on draft night about the program I follow if the program had the pedigree of Arizona or Kentucky.
zmurda
BK
Topher17
AG
DukeMu said:

wacarnolds said:

A&M's ball screens, PNR, etc were terrible this year. There's just no excuse for it.

Our ball screens are consistently terrible, and have been for years. This year was not an anomaly.
Double Diamond
You can say it's nothing. But I've listened to a bunch of draft podcast today. All the narrative was that Robert was misused. Jonathan Tjarks Is on Bill Simmons podcast blasting Kennedy and how things went. Sam Vecenie Runs a great podcast on hoops and had a lot of harsh stuff about how Robert was used. It's reall and national guys are taking notice.
TMartin
I believe even crazy Bill Walton said if Williams gets the ball in the low post and passes it out again I'm going to scream or something to that effect. Watching BK teams is like watching a Kevin Sumlin coached team.....recruit some talented kids and turn em lose.
Artimus Gordon
When hasn't BK been a WTF are you doing kind of Coach? These types of comments shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
sincereag
Going into last season it appeared we had so many options on offense with a supposed premier distributor in Caldwell playing along outside threats in Hogg and Gilder. BK must have thought that our perimeter shooting would open things up inside for Davis and Williams without having to use the PNR as a primary strategy. I would have definitely planned on utilizing the PNR as soon as William's announced he was coming back for his Soph year. To me that was a no brainer.
Luke The Drifter
AG
USAFLT said:

Nine times? I don't remember him rolling to the basket 9 times.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
expresswrittenconsent
He turned out to be a pedophile but I still gave you a blue star
Jbob88
USAFLT said:

Kennedy is like Yoda! Wait, there are literally Aggies in here blaming the kid instead of his coach who tells him what to do? Lol. My god. No wonder we suck.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If ya'll are expecting a college coach who had both Robert Williams and Tyler Davis on their roster to not play them a lot at the same time (which seemed to be the most often brought analysis - that Williams and Davis crowded the paint), well good luck expecting that.

Last year's team major issues had nothing to do with how many pick and rolls were performed IMO, so that stat is almost meaningless to me. The team was 11-1 with wins versus WVU, Okie State, Penn State, and @USC. Hell, the team thrashed WVU with Williams not even located in the same country.

My primary complaint with the coaching staff is not the X's and O's because I personally doubt there is some big gap between what Kennedy knows drawing diagrams on the board and what most of the college coaches know out there. That is why Kennedy has gotten wins at times versus guys like Bob Huggins, Mark Few, Roy Williams, Calipari, Billy Donovan, etc. when he has some good talent, good player leadership, and the team bothers to show up.

The major issue in my opinion is his inability to get consistent disciplined play. His teams have often looked 'soft'. The number of suspensions last year was pretty inexcusable. The number of turnovers generally in games was inexcusable. The home game versus Mississippi State was inexcusable effort. The getting blasted off the court by Michigan by halftime was awful. Just too many things...from Hogg to Williams to Caldwell...pointed to a 'mentally weak' team. And that has seemed to come up a lot the past 7 years with a few exceptions.

Now...despite all that...we STILL made 2 Sweet Sixteens out of the last 3 years...which was generally a better overall program performance the past 3 years than like 85% of the other college programs out there. So, Kennedy can be a pretty polarizing topic to digest.

I'll be really curious to see how next season goes. Logic and past history says things are about to go pretty south and we will miss the NCAA and probably even NIT. If that happens, sure seems like a change should be made.

If however, Kennedy does make the NCAA next season...that would be a run of 3 out of 4 years in NCAAT with completely different assistant coaching staffs (and some huge roster turnover). Then I'd probably be totally back on the BK bandwagon. But...for now...skeptical that he or the team will pull that off...for now I'll just watch the wagon head away wondering if it is about to crash.
mhayden
Quote:

My primary complaint with the coaching staff is not the X's and O's because I personally doubt there is some big gap between what Kennedy knows drawing diagrams on the board and what most of the college coaches know out there.

The issue isn't the initial strategy that Kennedy draws up.

The issue is when that initial strategy doesn't work, he has shown an inability to quickly adjust (or adjust at all).

After 7 years of watching him coach if you don't have questions about his in-game coaching ability and use of his personnel then I question if you've actually really been watching.
expresswrittenconsent
It is interesting to see pumpkin gush on multiple threads going back several months about how Brad Stephens is the best x/o coach in all of basketball but then when it comes to Kennedy all coaches have a similar/negligible amount of x/o knowledge.
_lefraud_
AG
Quote:

I'll be really curious to see how next season goes. Logic and past history says things are about to go pretty south and we will miss the NCAA and probably even NIT. If that happens, sure seems like a change should be made.

I feel like we've heard this from PUMP after 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and now 2018.

And did you notice UNC had ZERO players drafted the other night? If you go back 10 years you'll find that that's only happened one other time (2011).
Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Quote:

I feel like we've heard this from PUMP after 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and now 2018.

And did you notice UNC had ZERO players drafted the other night? If you go back 10 years you'll find that that's only happened one other time (2011).
Well, FRAUD, if Kennedy had just folded instead of making the Sweet Sixteen in 2015, or just folded instead of making the Sweet Sixteen yet again in 2018, then you wouldn't have to be hearing me being wishy washy on the guy. He'd have been fired by now.

Anyways, if Kennedy fails next season, hopefully they pull the plug on him and we can move on to some new guy to dissect. If he doesn't fail, and somehow makes the NCAA, then I guess we probably wouldn't really have that much to complain about anymore. Not really. Making NCAA 3 out of 4 years with entirely different assistant coaching staff, and a pretty significant rebuilt roster based on a bunch of JUCO and transfer help...we'd all have to tip our hat to him. I'm skeptical he pulls that off, but we'll see.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.