Told you

6,724 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigOil
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RW would slip by coming back. Was blasted over saying this. Hate it for RW, but he got bad advice.
GE
AG
Don't you have some offs to **** or something?
txag72
AG
And you know he would have been picked earlier how? And are you saying he got worse over the year, or was just exposed to some extent? Better exposed now than later?
Aston04
AG
I'd say exposed. More likely to gamble on the less known freak athlete... Than the freak athlete proven to have limited offensive game.
mallen
AG
Mock drafts this year vs. last year are about the same. No guarantee he would have gone any higher last year.
Double Diamond
Buzz. Had that mystery behind him. Certainly nobody knew he would mess up and get suspended. But typically you go when you can. Coming back makes you yesterdays news. Clearly Robert wasn't helped by the system. Williams is a pick and roll diver. Kennedy doesn't run this. And often playing lineups with three centers didn't help. But yes you leave when you get a lottery grade.
bobinator
AG
mallen said:

No guarantee he would have gone any higher last year.

Yep. I don't get why that's so hard to understand. If he was hearing that he was a lock for a good pick last year, I'm sure he would have gone. That's a hill I'll die on.
Double Diamond
I do think the Celtics are a good spot for Robert.
EKUAg
AG
Analyst on ESPN really called out the staff on how Williams was used. Best lob catcher in the draft only rolled to the rim 9 times all season.
bobinator
AG
Getting a hell of a coach
Double Diamond
Though a massive change in coaching. It is folks! Hate me but I'm right.
Double Diamond
What I said. And how outdated no rolls to the basket and three center offense?
bobinator
AG
I think we could have used Williams better, but we were never suddenly going to become a high volume pick and roll team. He wasn't even our best player.

I criticize Kennedy a lot, but I think this narrative has spiraled a bit.
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

Getting a hell of a coach
agree on that. Perfect fit. Absolute best nba coach from...
Double Diamond
I will say this. Robert Williams never expected to rise like he did. Went too fast. Gonna be hard to make up lost money here, but pulling for Robert.
Double Diamond
You have an elite level roll man you you think not doing this is better? Or playing three centers and just making a mess is better?
bobinator
AG
I didn't say it was better, I just think expecting BK to completely change the way he coaches is silly. Especially when we were still pretty good anyway. It's not like we had two elite post players and lead the country in three point attempts or anything.
94chem
Playing for one of the top 3 coaches in the league on a championship contender. Jackpot tonight for RW.
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

I didn't say it was better, I just think expecting BK to completely change the way he coaches is silly. Especially when we were still pretty good anyway. It's not like we had two elite post players and lead the country in three point attempts or anything.

The best college coaches adapt at least somewhat to the talent they have. We never utilized his skill set correctly. Now we can debate if it was for better or worse overall for the team, but rolled only 9 times is pathetic.
Know Your Enemy
AG
LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

Typical Ben post.
Bunk Moreland
Junkhead said:

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

Typical Ben post.

To be fair, if his usual suspects are always going to blast him and demean him for every thread/post he makes, then I have no issues with him coming back to call the shots he does make, even if it's at a 30% clip.
bobinator
AG
I mean we don't think Kennedy is an elite coach, nobody is debating that right?

I just don't think, from a scheme standpoint, it's that ridiculous. We're awful at picks and screens, there's no reason to think we'd be any good at pick and rolls even if we did it more.

Look, do I wish we were a fundamentally sound basketball team, yes. It's been my consistent criticism of this staff. But we aren't one, and being a good pick and roll team is all about solid fundamental basketball so it was never going to happen.
Bunk Moreland
Blue starred your post because I agree.

He's not elite. He's not great. He's not even good as an x's and o's guy. But you hope that he's not as close to Johnny Jones as it appears sometimes in that department.

Even if we suck at screens, RW was a freak. But that's not an excuse to not implement some basic plays in the off-season. This entire season he looked lost. Only a few games did he look natural on the court. I have no issues with espn pundits or posters on this board calling that point out.
Chuck Gay
AG
Williams got a NCAA tourney berth and Sweet 16 run out of staying another year. That is something he wouldn't ever have had in this lifetime otherwise.
bobinator
AG
I guess I just don't think it's that big of a deal or even a surprising observation. Now if we wouldn't have had Tyler Davis on the team I think it would be a whole different story.

I think the fact that we couldnt develop even an absolute basic post move for Williams in two years is more of an indictment on our staff.

Anyway, this is kind of an academic argument, we all know this staff didn't maximize the guys on last year's roster.
Bunk Moreland
Was it worth the year of lack of development and ~$3M-$5M in contract value?

That's the question
Bunk Moreland
Agree. I'm happy he landed with a good organization and coach and hope it works out as well for him as the slide worked for DJ.

Squandered while at A&M is never a good look on draft night when the pundits are basically pointing it out. That's the sour part.
bobinator
AG
His work ethic was part of the problem also, it's not all on the coaching staff. But yeah, Stevens might be the best there is so we'll see what he's got.
Gap
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

That's the question
Where are you guaranteeing he would have been picked last year?

Will there be better endorsement monies with a championship type team like the Celtics in a big city like Boston that loves their sports?

I'd say a Sweet 16 NCAA tourney run and being drafted by the Celtics in the 1st round is a GREAT year.
Bunk Moreland
That difference is a range of 10th - 13th pick. And he was projected by many to go above that last year.
Gap
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

That difference is a range of 10th - 13th pick. And he was projected by many to go above that last year.
It is hard to make any guarantees. I saw him as high as 8th this year.
Bunk Moreland
I was just trying to be conservative with the range.
94chem
Bunk Moreland said:

That's the question

Won't matter a bit if he's any good. Like griping about tourney seeding.
Bunk Moreland
94chem said:

Bunk Moreland said:

That's the question

Won't matter a bit if he's any good. Like griping about tourney seeding.

Agree completely. If you're 1st round then you're locked in. DJ slipped to R2 so he was able to make more quicker than the 1st rounders due to guaranteed contracts. Rob now has 3 years of guaranteed money though to show his stuff.
agfan1030
bobinator said:

His work ethic was part of the problem also, it's not all on the coaching staff. But yeah, Stevens might be the best there is so we'll see what he's got.
This is what I was thinking as he got passed over. Robert didn't always show up in a game. He got lazy at times. But, no one could bring as much excitement to the floor as Robert did....outstanding athletic ability. I am happy for him to go to a team with great leaders/developers.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.