Elam Ending

5,726 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CDub06
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this is a concept created by a professor where at the last dead ball under 4 minutes, the clock goes away, and 7pts is added to the score of the leading team. The teams then play to that score, team that gets there first, wins.

Team A 70, Team B 64. Target score is 77.

Evidently it's been used some for the TBT (The Basketball Tournament) and this year's TBT will utilize the Elam Ending for every game. So a guy/team is guaranteed to hit a shot in the final worth $2 million.

This is very interesting, as it adds a bit of a playground element, but also should limit the fouling at the end of games. As for the college game, I don't think I'd like to see it all the time, definitely not in Postseason, but maybe different tournaments or even regular season games might be fine, maybe the NIT should experiment?

Thoughts?
Aggiewife64
Go to bed
Gap
AG
It is an interesting concept to get rid of the fouling and free throw contest that many games become at the end.
wacarnolds
AG
The basket should move back and forth in the last 2 minutes
expresswrittenconsent
It is an interesting concept but it is so different from the current game that I can't see it ever being adopted anywhere of significance.
mdanyc03
AG
Aggiewife64 said:

Go to bed

This is a serious idea. Mark Cuban, Daryl Morey and others publicly support it for the NBA.
Method Man
Aggiewife64 said:

Go to bed

Username checks out.
Method Man
Does the shot clock remain?
bobinator
AG
The NIT should definitely do this to give it a try.

I'm all for trying anything that changes the way the ends of basketball games works.
OldAg68
AG
Great idea.
Bunk Moreland
would be all for trying it out with the NIT or something.

End of games in the NCAA & NBA are such a joke. That's not basketball as it was meant to be played.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If folks hate intentional fouling at end of game, just tweak it where an intentional foul in the last 2 minutes is free throws and the other team keeps possession. I'd rather see that kind of tweak which seems less dramatic in terms of an in-game change than this 'Elam' idea.
Bunk Moreland
Pumpkinhead said:

If folks hate intentional fouling at end of game, just tweak it where an intentional foul in the last 2 minutes is free throws and the other team keeps possession.

Then you're inviting interpretation of what is truly intentional and what isn't by the refs, more reviews and upset people when calls don't go their way etc.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Pumpkinhead said:

If folks hate intentional fouling at end of game, just tweak it where an intentional foul in the last 2 minutes is free throws and the other team keeps possession.

Then you're inviting interpretation of what is truly intentional and what isn't by the refs, more reviews and upset people when calls don't go their way etc.
The refs are out there making human judgement calls regardless.

Though personally, I don't see that big a deal with the current rule. College basketball games seem to consistently last about 2 hours, even under the present system. It isn't like college hoops games are excessively long. A lot of movies are now typically longer than college hoops game. And watching generally inconsistent college players choke (or not) at the free throw line is part of the fun.

Now in an NBA game, if I am having to watch some poor team fouling somebody like Steph Curry over and over again, I'm more like 'Okay, can ya'll just stop fouling Curry and let's get this game into the books?' state of mind.
bobinator
AG
I still think a fairly easy fix would be teams being able to decline their free throws and choose to inbound the ball, but I think this idea is interesting also.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I still think a fairly easy fix would be teams being able to decline their free throws and choose to inbound the ball, but I think this idea is interesting also.
I like that one, and would also rather have a more minor tweak like that than this one.
keysercade
AG
bobinator said:

Uncontested inbound would be my take.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

So the last 40 seconds of a game is one team inbounding the ball, getting fouled and declining free throws, over and over, until the clock runs out?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, or until the other team runs out of players. I actually think most of the time you'd take the free throws, but not if you were only in the one-and-one or they fouled someone who sucks at free throws.
expresswrittenconsent
I don't love the FT opt out.
I wonder if something minor like the old aba 3 to make 2 rule would help. Obviously short term, that could potentially make games longer but I wonder if getting the average ft trip closer to an automatic 2 would shorten the period at the end where coaches are fouling every play.
Or maybe change the bonus up (maybe shooting fouls don't count towards the bonus tally). I would ideally like to fix the issue with as minor a change as possible.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, or until the other team runs out of players. I actually think most of the time you'd take the free throws, but not if you were only in the one-and-one or they fouled someone who sucks at free throws.
why would you take the FTs and give your opponent the ball back? If you have the lead and the ball, it's impossible for the other team to win.
bobinator
AG
Because inbounding the ball can be pretty difficult when the other team has time to set up.

I haven't thought three all of the potential ramifications of this idea and broken down all of the different game theory aspects of it or anything, it's just a basic idea. I've discussed this ad nauseam on here, but I just think the idea that the defense can force the offense to take shots they don't want to to take is absurd on a fundamental level.
general ulysses
AG
College isnt as bad as it used to be
greg.w.h
AG
I'm intrigued. Though I particularly like it as a tournament format to resolve games on schedule. Less necessary in a season or an extended series like NBA playoffs imho. Definitely would have to use it consistently.
ELGINAG
AG
Somewhere, James Naismith is spinning in his peach basket casket.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I have watched games played with the Elam Ending and I live it. Actually makes the games very exciting and you always have a game winning shot that ends the game. did not like it at first, but I am converted
_lefraud_
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I have watched games played with the Elam Ending and I live it. Actually makes the games very exciting and you always have a game winning shot that ends the game. did not like it at first, but I am converted

I'd love to see NBA teams try it in the Pre-season, or at least the Summer League.
ColoradoMooseHerd
_lefraud_ said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I'd love to see NBA teams try it in the Pre-season, or at least the Summer League.
I thought I heard they might try it for summer league
Pumpkinhead
AG
This Ringer article that came out today is for you LeFraud.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/27/17621680/nba-elam-ending-classic-games
Method Man
Seen a few games end on a FT
Method Man
Everyone watching hated it
CDub06
AG
I've watched a couple of TBT games including Sloan's team (why didn't he play last night?) and really enjoyed the way those games end. It's a bit more of a thrill than racing the crawling clock. Those teams play with intensity on defense and this really puts the pressure on both ends of the court.

I like it for what it is here, novelty. I'm not sure if I'd appreciate it as much if it rolls out in the NCAA or NBA. But why not trot it out for the NIT this year?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.