Sahvir blurb from at NBPA Top 100 Camp

4,305 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
StanGundy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va - The entire 247Sports hoops recruiting team was on hand for the NBPA Top 100 Camp on Thursday. As would be expected with so many top players, many elite performances were turned in. Here is who caught our eye on day two of the event.

Sahvir Wheeler, PG, 2019
In this age of bigger and more scoring oriented point guards, Wheeler is an old school point guard with a pass first mentality. Just as importantly, he has big time passing ability. Through four games he is leading the camp in assists with 5.5 per game to go along with 7.0 points per game. He is also tied for second in steals at 2.5 per game. But perhaps most impressive is that he is averaging less than one turnover per game.
Recruiting: Committed to Texas A&M (JM)
mallen
AG
Will Sahvir be a consensus top 100 player and Top 10 PG once the 2019 rankings are solidified? Thoughts?
CactusThomas
AG
Really excited about this guy.

Do y'all remember that poster named LonghornsNo1? Seemed to be pretty plugged in to AAU and HS ball. He was the guy convincing us that Caldwell was a better version of John Stockton on the court and kept a cleaner nose than mother Teresa off the court. Well he was also the guy saying Wheeler isn't a legit D1 player. That gives me a lot of hope.
Aston04
AG
CactusThomas said:

Do y'all remember that poster named LonghornsNo1? Seemed to be pretty plugged in to AAU and HS ball. He was the guy convincing us that Caldwell was a better version of John Stockton on the court and kept a cleaner nose than mother Teresa off the court. Well he was also the guy saying Wheeler isn't a legit D1 player. That gives me a lot of hope.
THIS.

Scouting report sounds exactly like Caldwell, except the part about limiting turnovers. He's "old school" because the game has changed to put shooters at a premium and he's not one. Not bullish on this. The pass first pgs of dash and Caldwell have not worked for bk.
Hop
Staff
AG
CactusThomas said:

When Wheeler committed a couple of years ago, there were real questions as to his size. He was about 5-5 and skinny and he didn't have the frame that made you think he had a growth spurt coming. And he didn;t have a big growth spurt, but he did work up to 5-7 to 5-8...but what he did do was fill out and really add some anchor to his frame. He's still short, but he's grown into the range where he can overcome it to some degree...and he's done that apparently.
JMJLAW
AG
Pass first is great when surrounded by elite scorers. We don't have any except maybe Gilder. So... not encouraged.
Hop
Staff
AG
JMJLAW said:

Pass first is great when surrounded by elite scorers. We don't have any except maybe Gilder. So... not encouraged.
You haven't seen 40% of the guards. How about we at least see Mitchell and Mahan in action before we definitively say that this team has no scorers, especially since both are known to be scorers.
Pumpkinhead
AG
JMJLAW said:

I think Starks has shown the potential to be an elite scorer in college. As a freshman, after being named the starting PG, he dropped 59 points during a three game stretch vs Bama in the SECT and then vs Providence and North Carolina in the NCAA. A guy who was capable of averaging 20 ppg in 3 straight games versus NCAAT competition in my opinion has shown some 'elite' offense potential.
Gap
AG
No comparison between Sahvir and Caldwell. Caldwell's life was a mess losing his parents and it affected his academics to the point where he had go the home school route to qualify. He also had other significant personal issues that derailed his college career. Sahvir is exactly the opposite. He comes from a strong family. He is surrounded by good people that expect a lot from him and he expects a lot from himself. He goes to a very strong academic school and does a lot more than he needs to there. He has been "too small" his entire life and understands that means he can't be a prima donna because he wasn't born with an elite basketball body. He knows he has to outwork others to be better than those around him. The result is an extremely disciplined young man that is hard nosed.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

CactusThomas said:

When Wheeler committed a couple of years ago, there were real questions as to his size. He was about 5-5 and skinny and he didn't have the frame that made you think he had a growth spurt coming. And he didn;t have a big growth spurt, but he did work up to 5-7 to 5-8...but what he did do was fill out and really add some anchor to his frame. He's still short, but he's grown into the range where he can overcome it to some degree...and he's done that apparently.
I was really skeptical of this kid when we signed him because he just seemed too dang small. But given that he has seemed to muscle up some and got into at least around the 5'8-ish range, and given his rise in the recruiting rankings the past year, I'm warming up to him more.

GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

JMJLAW said:

I think Starks has shown the potential to be an elite scorer in college. As a freshman, after being named the starting PG, he dropped 59 points during a three game stretch vs Bama in the SECT and then vs Providence and North Carolina in the NCAA. A guy who was capable of averaging 20 ppg in 3 straight games versus NCAAT competition in my opinion has shown some 'elite' offense potential.
Other than Davis in certain situations Starks was the best pure scorer on the team last year
Know Your Enemy
AG
I watched Wheeler play in April 2017 and was really impressed. Sure it would be nice if he magically grew another 4-5 inches but I'm excited to see him in maroon & white.
Aston04
AG
Gap said:

No comparison between Sahvir and Caldwell. Caldwell's life was a mess losing his parents and it affected his academics to the point where he had go the home school route to qualify. He also had other significant personal issues that derailed his college career. Sahvir is exactly the opposite. He comes from a strong family. He is surrounded by good people that expect a lot from him and he expects a lot from himself. He goes to a very strong academic school and does a lot more than he needs to there. He has been "too small" his entire life and understands that means he can't be a prima donna because he wasn't born with an elite basketball body. He knows he has to outwork others to be better than those around him. The result is an extremely disciplined young man that is hard nosed.
I was talking about the scouting report of their game on the court. And there is a clear comparison. "Pass first point guard" is a huge red flag to me. We shall see how it pans out. Hasn't worked well in the recent past.
Gap
AG
Sahvir has worked really hard to not be a shoot first PG. As a freshman, he was a shoot first guy. In a playoff game his freshman year, he hit 10 of 11 3's. He can score. Go see him play or check out some video.
Aston04
AG
Last fall i watched some of his videos.... For shooting, I don't trust videos much though. If you trust videos, you'd swear Dash could shoot before he got here. What insiders are saying means a lot more to me. To that end, if his shooting is becoming a strength- that would be great and hope you are right!
Hop
Staff
AG
Quite a few basketball experts at this event raving about Wheeler and his hard-nosed defense in addition to his PG skills via Twitter.
Deputy Travis Junior
Gap said:

Not insulting this kid, but several people posted the exact inverse of this with Caldwell 1-2 years ago. "He has had to work for EVERYTHING in his life, so he takes nothing for granted. He is incredibly grateful to be here and will work twice as hard as a normal recruit."

Honestly, unless you know Savhir personally, this is just so much uninformed propaganda.
Method Man
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Harris has been doing well at the same event from what i've gathered.
Gap
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Gap said:

Not insulting this kid, but several people posted the exact inverse of this with Caldwell 1-2 years ago. "He has had to work for EVERYTHING in his life, so he takes nothing for granted. He is incredibly grateful to be here and will work twice as hard as a normal recruit."

Honestly, unless you know Savhir personally, this is just so much uninformed propaganda.
My son has gone to school with him for 3 years now. I've probably seen him play 50 games over that time. My kid plays a different sport than him but he knows me well enough to call me by name.
Deputy Travis Junior
Apologies, I thought you were posting speculation. Turns out you fall into the very exception I mentioned haha.

In looking forward to seeing what he can do. He obviously doesn't have a prototypical basketball body, but that's not a death sentence, especially as it sounds like he's smart and relentless on defense (anticipation, good position, and hard work are far more important than a few inches of height).
Wearamaskaggie
AG
He was named to the all star team of the tournament.
Chuck Gay
AG
Sahvir was sporting the maroon at the top 100 camp this week.

This must be a really intense camp. I saw that Rajon Rondo was ejected from an NBPA Top 100 Camp game that he was coaching on Friday. Do we know who else made the all-camp team?
StanGundy
Isaiah Mobley (MVP)
Precious Achiuwa
Scottie Lewis
Greg Brown
Isaiah Wong
EJ Liddell
Anthony Edwards
Justin Moore
Cade Cunningham
Walker Kessler
Sahvir Wheeler
Oscar Tshiebw
miller0926
AG
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2019

Now up to #81 overall and a 4-star on ESPN.
rainag78
pass first point can be good. The difference is can the pass first guy drive and score some at the basket. dash and caldwell put no pressure on the defense. they tried to pass from the outside all the time. if you cant break down the dense the passing is less effective.
Gap
AG
Some Sahvir regular season highlights. He seems to be all about putting pressure on the opponent.

Pumpkinhead
AG
miller0926 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2019

Now up to #81 overall and a 4-star on ESPN.
I know rankings are not the end-all be-all, and I haven't been closely following this kid, but given his small size, it presumably took a lot of extra hard work and exceptionally strong play in his HS/AAU circuit to make a Top-100 worthy impression on recruiting analysts. So kudos to Sahvir for pulling that off. I was skeptical on this kid after the commit, but that skepticism has certainly grown less.

And one thing I feel pretty confident about...unlike some other recent bigger guys at A&M whom sometimes there were questions about their 'motor' day in and day out, I have a feeling that we'll never ever doubt this particular kid on that topic. Every article I've read about him, he looks like somebody who will be carrying a massive chip on his shoulder at all times trying to prove his critics wrong. I'm guessing we'll get 100%+ whatever this kid has to give us, when he shows up.

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-basketball-Point-guard-Sahvir-Wheeler-shines-at-NBPA-Top-100-camp-silences-critics-119154176/

Quote:

The NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Virginia, was a longtime goal for Texas A&M point guard commit Sahvir Wheeler. It was a chance for the Houston Christian High School 3-star athlete to show that he not only belongs in the same conversation with the best players of the 2019 class but also that despite his size, he can play next-level basketball.

Wheeler, a Texas A&M commit since Sept. 7, 2016, is now listed at 5-foot-8 and 175 pounds, but his lack of size against the bigger guards never was an issue at the Top 100 Camp. In fact, Wheeler left the University of Virginia campus as a member of the all-camp team.

Quote:

Wheeler's play caught the attention of the 247Sports college basketball recruiting team. Analyst Brian Snow described Wheeler as an "old-school point guard with a pass-first mentality," which was noticeable on a stage loaded with guards who looked to score first.

Quote:

Additionally, Wheeler recorded 14 steals for the camp, and he had four steals in his very first game last Wednesday. He also played the most minutes out of all his teammates -- 245, which averaged out at 27.2 minutes per game.

Wheeler's defensive effort was something he said he'll remember, but it also will be something he'll use to build on this summer and in the fall. His defense is what he said the Texas A&M coaching staff wanted him to work on as he prepared for college basketball.

"The defensive side of the game, that's something I've wanted to grow on the most. The A&M coaches told me they wanted me to be able to guard the ball and disrupt other offenses," he said. "That's been a step-up goal for me.

"When I get to A&M, I want to be the defensive player of the year-type guy like Tyler Ulis was at Kentucky. He's considered an undersized point guard and was [SEC] Defensive Player of the Year. He was a pest on that side of the ball."

Quote:

As for Wheeler's critics, those who are worried whether he can play for the Aggies because of his lack of size, Wheeler said he hopes he answered any questions during his time in Virginia. He's heard about how his size can play a role in him not being effective in the SEC or in college basketball altogether.

"I wanted to show the guys who don't have much belief in me that I can come and hold my own against anyone," he said. "I wanted to show I'm one of the best point guards in my class. I wanted to show what I can do when I get to A&M."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.