How many days until we land a surprisingly talented grad-transfer big man?

3,485 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GE
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You know it's coming.

Please tell me it's coming.
Method Man
Let's brainstorm on who it could be. Who is a talented post player that has not enough talent to leave for the NBA. Excluding our post player that's leaving for the NBA.
bobinator
AG
Malik Hines of UMASS?
mhayden
Well we're looking for a post player that is talented enough to fill that gap in our roster but also isn't talented enough to play in the NBA or overseas... Because as we've just seen, going to play overseas makes more sense than playing another year of college.
expresswrittenconsent
Tobias Funke said:

You know it's coming.

Hop has been saying today that the staff has a "plan b". So I assume something is coming. The issue is that it sounds like they've known Tyler is gone for a while and we are way under on numbers so you would think if they were in on anyone significant we would already know.
bobinator
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

The issue is that it sounds like they've known Tyler is gone for a while
I don't think that's true at all.
expresswrittenconsent
Weird way to cut my quote. I like the editorial choice to add a period.
mhayden

Tobias Funke said:

You know it's coming.

Hop ... is ... way under ... significant

Agreed.
bobinator
AG

Weird way to cut my quote. I like the editorial choice to add a period.
I just missed the period on the delete. Fixed.
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

Wouldn't totally surprise me that they thought he most likely would go and were planning/recruiting accordingly.

The media spilled the beans on this last February, but then was effectively buried again for a couple months.

Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

Well we're looking for a post player that is talented enough to fill that gap in our roster but also isn't talented enough to play in the NBA or overseas... Because as we've just seen, going to play overseas makes more sense than playing another year of college.

Per Logan on the radio today, there is at least one grad transfer big who is a possibility, and he said Nebo now clearly would be playing the 5.

When guessing, I wouldn't focus solely on pure center types. Could be a power forward-ish target.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

Tobias Funke said:

You know it's coming.

Hop is a genius

Agreed.
Agreed.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

It's clear by the press release yesterday that they were not expecting his public statement that he was leaving. Any collegiate basketball program has contingencies and back-up plans because you must have one in recruiting because you don't know if a kid you thought you had suddenly goes somewhere else, or a current player flunks out, gets arrested, or decides to transfer out.

Just because they have a back-up plan at the post doesn't mean they knew Davis was gone...just that they recognized the possibility of him leaving and wanted to cover their bases.
txjortsagent
AG
Logan sounded like Davis could be convinced to stay still
_lefraud_
AG
Not if he's been meeting with agents.
mhayden
Hop said:

bobinator said:

It's clear by the press release yesterday that they were not expecting his public statement that he was leaving. Any collegiate basketball program has contingencies and back-up plans because you must have one in recruiting because you don't know if a kid you thought you had suddenly goes somewhere else, or a current player flunks out, gets arrested, or decides to transfer out.

Just because they have a back-up plan at the post doesn't mean they knew Davis was gone...just that they recognized the possibility of him leaving and wanted to cover their bases.

Isn't it kind of odd that A&M actually went so far as to have a press release denying it was a done deal?

I mean, I expect them to be battling it and trying to keep him here behind the scenes, but that just seemed like a really weird series of events.

Tyler: "I'm going pro."
A&M: "He's not 100% going pro yet."
Tyler: "I'm 100% going pro"

Certainly not a big enough deal nationally to have egg on our face or anything, but kind of seems like there was some weird communication going on between the two camps.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

Certainly not a big enough deal nationally to have egg on our face or anything,
In a college basketball era full of exciting stories like hookers in dorms for recruiting visits, 100K payments on wiretap, Rick Pitino 'I knew nothing' press conferences, sinister shoe companies, arrested assistant coaches, Lavar Ball, Ball boy shoplifting adventures in China, Ball boys leaving school to go play in obscure eastern Europe locations, Mitchell Robinson not playing/playing/not playing/playing/not playing college basketball etc....I'm guessing an exchange like you describe above registers about 0.000001 out of 100 on the national college basketball coverage richter scale.

Note that I remember Robert Williams saying that not once did the staff during his freshman season ever try to push him to stay at Texas A&M. So whether or not they were 'battling' to try to keep Tyler or taking more of a 'do what you think is best for you and let us know' approach, I'd maybe lean towards guessing closer to the latter.
mhayden
That's a lot of words not to actually address the post.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Quote:

Certainly not a big enough deal nationally to have egg on our face or anything,
In a college basketball era full of exciting stories like hookers in dorms for recruiting visits, 100K payments on wiretap, Rick Pitino 'I knew nothing' press conferences, sinister shoe companies, arrested assistant coaches, Lavar Ball, Ball boy shoplifting adventures in China, Ball boys leaving school to go play in obscure eastern Europe locations, Mitchell Robinson not playing/playing/not playing/playing/not playing college basketball etc....I'm guessing an exchange like you describe above registers about 0.000001 out of 100 on the national college basketball coverage richter scale.

Note that I remember Robert Williams saying that not once did the staff during his freshman season ever try to push him to stay at Texas A&M. So whether or not they were 'battling' to try to keep Tyler or taking more of a 'do what you think is best for you and let us know' approach, I'd maybe lean towards guessing closer to the latter.

With Williams, he told the coaches also immediately when the season ended that he was coming back so there wasn't really a need to "sell" him. With Davis, I've heard that they very much were talking to him about coming back, and actually visited with him several times in Dallas where he's been working out the spring.
Steeple
Plan B? Does anyone here have a clue as to what Plan A was?
ColoradoMooseHerd
_lefraud_ said:

Not if he's been meeting with agents.
you can meet with agents and come back. But if you sign with an agent you are done
Tobias Funke
AG
12 days!

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2954392/replies/51889806#51889806
GE
AG
Steeple said:

Plan B? Does anyone here have a clue as to what Plan A was?
Plan A would be for Tyler to stay
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.